PDA

View Full Version : traditional biker wave?

arachnomania
01-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I originally put this under my home states heading by mistake, sorry for the duplication, very few Spyders in Oklahoma. Rode the other day with more bikes on the road than I ever have with my new Spyder, I noticed a distinct lack of the biker wave I'm used to seeing on other bikes I ride. Was wondering if anyone else with multiple bikes had seen such an obvious diffrence when on their Spyder? Then while parked at a couple of diffrent stops I was surprised to have no bikers come over and talk about the diffrent looking machine they were all staring at, cagers would come up but no bikers. It was like I was an alien or something, anyone else seen this too?

effgjamis
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
No problem here in Florida..
It seems they, well 98%, wave, and if fact I almost didn't at one and he:yikes: honked at me..:D

tnfleming
01-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Nope. Harley riders have been friendly and polite to me in general.

Desert Spyder
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I've never had a problem with other bikers not being hospitable. I participated in a run on New Years which has become an annual event locally. Its called The First Run oddly enough. It was also my first run, ever. There were about 50 bikes: mostly hogs but some cruisers and a red ugly duckling (my Spyder). There was a lot of curiosity and I enjoyed answering their questions. Some even said they might get one in the future because of medical conditions. We went to a Mexican restaurant in Boron, about 40 minutes away. Good food and good run!

Smylinacha
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't get waved at much but then again I really don't care. I'm happy w/ my :spyder:and that's all that counts! :2thumbs:

Roaddog2
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
I don't get waved at much but then again I really don't care. I'm happy w/ my :spyder:and that's all that counts! :2thumbs:Smellinacha they wave at me and HDX I wonder whats wrong :barf:

LDFIREWORKS
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
here in fla everybody waves or talks to you where ever you go when ever it is there are tons of bikers all over the place all the time we live very close to daytona [the bikers dream place] ride all year even in the rain:clap::clap::2excited::yes::yes:

GeminiJane
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I ride "multiples" and most often get as many waves on the Spyder as on any of my other rides - and a lot of bikers coming up and asking questions. Then I'll go for a ryde and only get maybe a 75% return wave rate - begin to wonder if I'm invisible. But then...some days it's like that on a 2 wheeler, too. I just keep waving, anyway. Shoot, now that I've experienced what it's like to be a bit different on a Spyder, I even wave at all the scooter riders just to make them feel good, too :thumbup:.

richie
01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Just last weekend wife & I two up on :spyder:past a couple auh bad a$$ lookin dirt bags leaning on their oinkers with the who gaf attatude egnored our wave.Get a life!
richie :cheers:

FANG
01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I originally put this under my home states heading by mistake, sorry for the duplication, very few Spyders in Oklahoma. Rode the other day with more bikes on the road than I ever have with my new Spyder, I noticed a distinct lack of the biker wave I'm used to seeing on other bikes I ride. Was wondering if anyone else with multiple bikes had seen such an obvious diffrence when on their Spyder? Then while parked at a couple of diffrent stops I was surprised to have no bikers come over and talk about the diffrent looking machine they were all staring at, cagers would come up but no bikers. It was like I was an alien or something, anyone else seen this too?

Probably get waves from 80% of the 2 wheeled riders. Figure the other 20% are to scared to let go the handle bars with only 2 wheels and having to balance. LOL Really don't care if others don't wave; I wave to all. :coffee:

bone crusher
01-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I ride "multiples" and most often get as many waves on the Spyder as on any of my other rides - and a lot of bikers coming up and asking questions. Then I'll go for a ryde and only get maybe a 75% return wave rate - begin to wonder if I'm invisible. But then...some days it's like that on a 2 wheeler, too. I just keep waving, anyway. Shoot, now that I've experienced what it's like to be a bit different on a Spyder, I even wave at all the scooter riders just to make them feel good, too :thumbup:.

That's the spirit...I'm even beginning to wave at bicyclists...get everyone into the spirit! :D

retread
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I wave to anybody on less than 4 wheels, and some on 4, if they wave first, unless I'm busy in the middle of a good curve. IMHO, the non-wavers are posers and haven't figured out we're all in this together.

john

Donzo
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't notice any difference in waves/friendly interaction between riding my motorcycle or the Spyder. Every time I stop bikers and car folks come up and ask questions and 99% are impressed and want to find out more a nd possibly purchase one.
I stopped at a hard core Harley bar/resturant a couple weeks ago. When I went out to leave the black leather crowd around the Spyder was thick -- they were all very interested and asked questions - I have been telling all that I have decided to sell my bike - I just don't use it anymore - if I'm going riding .. it's on the Spyder!
Here in NorCal the Spyder gets a great reception --

BRPjunkie
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Here in Michigan, the reception and wave have been quite good. I have had several Harley riders of advancing age (like me) say that the next time they drop their Harley they will be looking at something that doesn't fall over. They all thought that it would be a traditional trike with its stigma (geezer) and handling traits, so they have found the styling and design of the Spyder very interesting. The lack of chrome seems to be the big concern since those guys seem to like to shine and polish. I sure don't miss that part of owning a bike.

SpyderGirl
01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
I get more attention from the seasoned cruiser and touring bike riders and less from the younger sport bike riders. I just wave at everyone, but I'm a little on the crazy side. :yes:

sleepman
01-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I pay about as much attention to people waving at me as I do how many PE Spyders there are. If I waved at every bike I've ever passed on the road I'd have a serious case of frozen shoulder. And if I got upset by everyone who didn't wave at me I'd be in anger management. :yikes:

bgspyderman
01-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I too get tired with the wave thing. Back when I was younger and there were several million bikes less on the road it wasn't too bad waving, If that practice went away completely I wouldn't miss it.

I have noticed that people look questioningly at my Spyder, they are not sure if they should wave. What cracks me up is when I'm riding my Harley all HD riders wave, when I ride my Beemer, hardly any HD riders wave, the ones who do must be new riders I figure and they haven't yet learned the rules, they are still facinated with actually riding so every rider is still cool.

Once I pulled along a couple on a HD Ultra at a traffic light, they were obviously travelin, they were in TN with MI plates and loaded down with gear. I pulled alongside them on the right side, flipped up my face shield and said 'HI, how's your trip going" both heads made an immediate left turn away from me, like I was a road bandit or something. Just before the light turned I shouted out, 'hey, I'm OK too, My Harley is at Home, I just needed to get some miles on my other bike today as they drove off without looking back".

I think some people take brand loyalty too far, we're all riders for to be sure. I am impressed though, I have been to a few HD Dealers on my Spyder and people actually come up and talk. Give it time, after the novility wears off, there will be signs erected, 'HD's only dare enter here'.

babyanlee
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
sometimes we get lots of waves and sometimes not. I just like waving so does spydee wife - she likes waving too, she even waves when we are in truck or car - tinted windows but she waves anyway. Better than getting the finger from everyone. Like everyone else we get lots of looks and people like to gather at the:spyder:. I think that as the HD group gets older they see they can extend riding life. The more:spyder:'s the merrier I say.:2thumbs:

arachnomania
01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Glad to hear the positive resonses, I won't feel like such a dork when I ride and wave to all like I used to on the Goldwing. Always knew that harley riders were a little cold to non harley riders, but luckily this is not absolute and many are just regular guys, and gals. Didn't really mind not having to wave to everyone, does get a little old at times. I just think it's funny to see the diffrent way people act towards the Spyder:trike: I'm curious to see the reactions to when I go riding with my brother and his harley.:doorag: I like harleys, I like all bikes.

reinie
01-06-2009, 10:04 PM
It's really not a big deal to me, even though I generally always wave. If they do ok, if they don't ok.

Smylinacha
01-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Smellinacha they wave at me and HDX I wonder whats wrong :barf:

They fear me - that's why:2thumbs:

SpyderDog65
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
The standard biker wave is left arm extended downward throwing a peace sign. I get it from most bikers that i pass on the road and i give it too all even if they dont give it back only ones i dont give it too are the people who ride those little scooters thats not a real bike in my opinion and not worthy of the exalted biker wave hehe so theres my two cents on that subject................Michael

Red SE5 6 spoke rims,1inch riser,Venom Exhuast by Motad,Mono seat cover, NMN Tripleply taillights,NMN Fender tips, NMN Carbon fiber handlebar inserts,Kury ISO Handgrips w/throttleboss,Kury ISO footpegs, Progel Gelseat cushion.

SpyderDog65
01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Glad to hear the positive resonses, I won't feel like such a dork when I ride and wave to all like I used to on the Goldwing. Always knew that harley riders were a little cold to non harley riders, but luckily this is not absolute and many are just regular guys, and gals. Didn't really mind not having to wave to everyone, does get a little old at times. I just think it's funny to see the diffrent way people act towards the Spyder:trike: I'm curious to see the reactions to when I go riding with my brother and his harley.:doorag: I like harleys, I like all bikes.

i think most people are suprised to find out these things can do over a hundered miles an hour i think some think of em as a scooter and as i said in previouse thread unworthy of the exhalted biker wave :) lol

Oklahoma Spyder
01-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Hey tell me where in OK you are and I will more than wave i will ride with you. supposed to be almost 70 tomorrow.

Star Cruiser
01-07-2009, 06:02 PM
The standard biker wave is left arm extended downward throwing a peace sign. I get it from most bikers that i pass on the road and i give it too all even if they dont give it back only ones i dont give it too are the people who ride those little scooters thats not a real bike in my opinion and not worthy of the exalted biker wave hehe so theres my two cents on that subject................Michael

That works well here too. I was in Britian though and did that, and the guy thought I was "flippin' him the bird". Not sure if that is still the case there, one of our European friends might be able to elaborate. I think the guy recognized my Canadian "accent" (really - everyone ELSE had an accent there - lol) and we smiled and went on our way. It was a funny situation at the time, but worth a heads up if it is still "the sign"