PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT-S Baja Ron (anti) Sway Bar and Spring Adjuster Install Tips and Reviews

Windagetray
08-03-2015, 12:31 PM
This past weekend I installed the Baja Ron shock spring adjusters and the B/R (anti) sway bar with the aluminum end links onto my 2014 RT-S.

First a few tips and first with the spring adjusters:

I thought I might have to remove the frunk because the assembler (dealer) had put the top shock mount bolts in from the front (the nuts were on the back side of the mount). The instructions assume the nuts are on the front leaving plenty of room to slide the bolt back and out. Don’t worry, there is room for the bolts to go out the front. However, I DID re-install them the “right” way.
To hold the bolt head from turning as I turned the nut on the top bolt, I used a 3/8” “breaker bar” and the appropriate socket (I think a 15mm). I have box end and other various “obstruction” wrenches but as reported elsewhere in this forum, the breaker/short socket combo works better than I deserved.

Another thing of note is that once the shock is out, you’ll see there really is a surprising amount of room around that upper mount. You are really just needing to work around that big shock and spring keeper at the top. SO….while the shock is out, take advantage of that extra room by using Ron’s double-sided tape trick to hold the nut on the FRONT side of that shock mount until you get the bolt started. What I did was put the tape on the nut and cut it out as described in Ron’s instructions so the bolt screws in effortlessly. Next, I put the bolt through the top mount (from the back to the front) and screwed the nut on it after removing the rest of the tape backing (exposing the second sticky side). I then pulled the nut against the CLEANED mount surface and pushed that nut as hard as I could for about 20 seconds. I then held the nut from turning and unscrewed the bolt out of the nut which was left sticking there. I then installed the upper shock into the mount and re-inserted the bolt and GENTLY screwed it into the tape-fastened nut on the front side of the mount. When it got snug, I employed the use of the aforementioned breaker bar and short socket to the nut and a ratchet and socket to the rear bolt head and snugged it up.

IF you use Ron’s spring compressors, I found that if you are careful to get them exactly across from each other at the start AND you use an open end wrench on the lower arm’s nut (11/16”), you will have nearly no worry of any shifting of the compressors on the spring. The other thing I found is that one of the rubber bumpers on the shock shaft was snug and tight against the spring keepers on the top. I had to use a small screw driver to push it down the shock’s shaft before the keepers could be removed. You must compress the spring far enough that ALL parts of that large outer keeper clears the spring!
Other than the above, everything went according to the instructions.

Now for the (anti) sway bar:

The first thing of note is that there were 2 unmentioned “push pin” fasteners under the lower “water deflector”. There is one on the top and one torx headed bolt as described in the instructions but there are two others on the bottom that must come out before you can remove the deflector.

The next thing is the bolt that holds the lower grill piece along with 3 other components together. Ron mentions a “star washer” that will not be re-used. It is NOT a “star washer”. It is a bolt “keeper”! It is designed to hold that bolt in place in the absence of a nut. It a very thin, push-on keeper that must be pried off of the bolt and it is under all the stuff (3 things) that the bolt is holding together. Just be aware that once you get the nut off, you won’t be able to slide the bolt our unless someone has already removed that “keeper”. There is a part that is “push-pinned” just to the outside of that nut and bolt. If you remove that push-pin, it gives you a little more room to work on that nut and “keeper”.

I did the swap on a dual-ramp car lift. Once everything was off/loose, I just rolled one of the front tires to the INSIDE edge of the lift and then got under and took the old sway bar out pushing it to that side. This gave me plenty of clearance to get the bar out and down. I reversed the procedure to install the new bar. Since the bar must go through a small hole in the center of the Spyder created by a “beam” running up through the middle of the bike, you must have room for half of the bars length to come out one side and then room UNDER the Spyder for the bar to rotate at the bent end.

My review:

The spring adjusters are wonderful! I’m a big guy (just under 300#) and my wife and I ride together often. (If you think I’m gonna mention her size/weight um….THAT’s just not gonna happen in THIS life!) Our RT always felt a bit “mushy” in the front and it scraped often. Thank God for Spyderpops’ skid shield. It’s looking nasty under there even WITH it! Before and after ride static, unloaded ride height measurements indicated with the adjusters bottomed out, ride height increased between ½” and 3/4”. I started out adding 2 full turns and that’s probably where I’ll leave it. Riding both by myself and 2 up yesterday was WONDERFUL! I no long have to worry about roads rutted by big trucks nor speed bumps, nor the nose dive during heavy breaking. The ride is more predictable and I don’t really notice any increased harshness at all. I love them. I recommend them to anyone who is not sized according to our government’s fitness charts. If you are over 185 pounds and/or ride 2 up often, you will like the results from these adjusters.

The (anti) sway bar, I have mixed feelings about. When spiritedly entering a turn there is a bit of body roll before the sway bar’s effects are felt. I can tell the bar is resisting the lean a bit more than the stock bar did but, it takes too long (in my opinion) for that to happen. The bar is thicker than the stock one and I am presuming the inner mounts are made of at least as stiff a material as the stock ones were. I am feeling all of that. However, I noticed that the Heim joints were a lot more loose than the stock ones were. It is perhaps this looseness I feel before everything tightens up to employ the new, larger bar? I may talk to the B/R folks about this….or I may experiment on my own putting the old end links in to see if I get the feel I am expecting. That being said, that upgraded bar DOES make a difference. I think it is especially helpful if your Spyder is hauling weights near its upper limits.

If you can afford both of the mods I described here, go for it. If you can only do one and you want to cure the scraping and soft feel of the front end, I would go with the shock spring adjusters. Also, there is no advantage to doing them at the same time as I don’t know of any cost savings AND there is no duplicate labor involved.

Good Luck and Happy Ridin’,

Mike

Chupaca
08-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Always good to have first hand tips and reviews to refer back to. Well done on both the DIY'ing and the infirmative tips and review...:2thumbs::bowdown::bowdown:

Windagetray
08-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Always good to have first hand tips and reviews to refer back to. Well done on both the DIY'ing and the infirmative tips and review...:2thumbs::bowdown::bowdown:

I just hope it's helpful. I waited a long time to even do the projects because I thought I would have to remove the frunk but alas, I did not! I should mention that both of the upgrades took about 2 hours. I was in no hurry and took a few air-conditioning and hydration breaks!

Centurion
08-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks for your detailed write up and observations. I have been strongly considering either the shock adjusters or going with upgraded shocks so your post is timely. Congrats on awesome job!

BajaRon
10-09-2015, 11:35 PM
Great, detailed write up! Very accurate.

You're right about the push pins. I do need to fix that.

You're right about the 'Bolt Keeper'. But I wasn't sure most people would know what that was so I called it a 'Star Washer'. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :rolleyes:

You are also right that you, with your size and loading, could most likely use a stiffer sway bar. But I have to stick with a 1 size fits all approach on these sway bar kits for several reasons. The biggest reason being a too stiff sway bar is not something the average person can handle. So I make the stiffest bar that is safe for all Spyders of that model. Since sway bars can handle a wide range of conditions this works very well for almost everyone. But when you have tall, heavy riders, 2-up with a fully loaded Spyder, you may be exceeding the 'Ideal' window that my sway bar offers. It is not an unsafe condition and it does not hurt anything. But you probably would see an improvement with a bar even stiffer than mine.

I would not recommend putting the stock links back on. Though the bar may be a bit weak for you, it is a pretty stiff bar. And I would say you're giving it a very good workout. Which means you'll be giving those stock links a very good workout as well. It is possible the original plastic links may not be able to handle the additional strain. Even if the plastic links do not break, they do stretch. Which isn't going to improve the effectiveness of the bar.

The balls in my Billet Aluminum Links do swivel more easily than the OEM. But there isn't any 'Slop'. The OEM links have no actual race retainer for the ball. The ball simply press fits into the plastic link body. This requires a tight, friction fit to keep the ball from coming out of the link body. And to allow for wear.

I would like to ask how much air pressure are you running in the front tires? Are you running the stock Kenda's? (I assume so). When they wear out you might want to consider bumping up to a bit wider, lower profile. This will maintain stock tire diameter. You will also get a 4-ply in stead of a 2-ply tread. This kind of tire will give you a larger footprint, less sidewall roll under, and add a lot of stability to the front end.

Windagetray
10-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Thank you Ron. The anti-sway bar is a great, quality product and your spring adjusters are not only quality but innovative as well. The later have kept my big but from bottoming out from the moment I installed them.

I understand totally why the bar wasn't designed with more twist resistance. I have been exposed to and worked on race suspensions for most of my life. For those who are wondering why Ron didn't just go full race on the bar, here is the answer. The more you increase the handling capability of a vehicle, the less warning it gives you before you are in trouble. The shorter the warning, the bigger trouble you are in before you have a chance to correct. When you DO correct for the problem you then tend to OVER-correct because you have a really good handling vehicle! My guess is that Ron wanted to up the fun quotient without putting anyone in a position where they'd get hurt. He found a really good balance!!

The end links are fine, quality parts. It's just that I come from the mindset of "if you can get to one-thousandths of an inch oversized, why would you allow two thousandths?" I never did go back to the stock links for the precise reasons you described. (and...well...I am a bit lazy.)

Now about tires....As you assumed, all tires and pressures are "stock". I wanted to work from a "base-line" with any improvements I made. I am aware that tires are at least as important as any other handling improvement and probably more so once lean, dive, and bounce are under control. ...and who doesn't want a bigger "contact patch"!!??

SO.... I have read all of the advice on here and since you have wore through more Spyder tires than I probably ever will....AND since my RT-S has succumbed to the "worn center syndrome", I desperately and sincerely welcome any advice you have on tire brands, sizes, and pressures for a 2014 RT-S (stock rims)! ...I am scheduled for PA State inspection in less than 2 weeks!

Thank you for all you do to help folks on the forum!

Mike

BajaRon
10-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Thank you Ron. The anti-sway bar is a great, quality product and your spring adjusters are not only quality but innovative as well. The later have kept my big but from bottoming out from the moment I installed them.

Never thought you were less than happy with quality and my reply was not in any way an attempt to defend my product. An accurate understanding of what a product does is a big key in customer satisfaction. I really enjoy an informed customer. Your understanding and experience may help another person make an informed choice.

Every product has limits, by design. By your very comments I am sure we are on the same page. One of the things I really appreciate about this forum is the opportunity to discuss an issue openly with the intent to improve the experience and no hard feelings.

I understand totally why the bar wasn't designed with more twist resistance. I have been exposed to and worked on race suspensions for most of my life. For those who are wondering why Ron didn't just go full race on the bar, here is the answer. The more you increase the handling capability of a vehicle, the less warning it gives you before you are in trouble. The shorter the warning, the bigger trouble you are in before you have a chance to correct. When you DO correct for the problem you then tend to OVER-correct because you have a really good handling vehicle! My guess is that Ron wanted to up the fun quotient without putting anyone in a position where they'd get hurt. He found a really good balance!!

The end links are fine, quality parts. It's just that I come from the mindset of "if you can get to one-thousandths of an inch oversized, why would you allow two thousandths?" I never did go back to the stock links for the precise reasons you described. (and...well...I am a bit lazy.)

Now about tires....As you assumed, all tires and pressures are "stock". I wanted to work from a "base-line" with any improvements I made. I am aware that tires are at least as important as any other handling improvement and probably more so once lean, dive, and bounce are under control. ...and who doesn't want a bigger "contact patch"!!??

The stock tires tend to wear out in the middle (especially the rear) because of the 2 ply tread. With a 'Car' tire you'll get a 4 ply tread which keeps the entire width of the tire in contact with the pavement even at high speeds. Plus, with a wider/lower profile front tire you'll get a bit stiffer sidewall and a lower profile. Both will help to eliminate 'roll under' keeping the tread area of the tire in contact with the road surface. This will really help in your situation.

SO.... I have read all of the advice on here and since you have wore through more Spyder tires than I probably ever will....AND since my RT-S has succumbed to the "worn center syndrome", I desperately and sincerely welcome any advice you have on tire brands, sizes, and pressures for a 2014 RT-S (stock rims)! ...I am scheduled for PA State inspection in less than 2 weeks!

I really like the 185/60r 14's I'm running now. But options change all the time. Look for a tire that has very good wet traction. I think this more important than how fast they wear. The fronts last a long time anyway (as long as your alignment is good).

Thank you for all you do to help folks on the forum!

Mike That is what it is all about! :ohyea:

Windagetray
10-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Ron: I'm down to 2 choices for a new rear tire.

The General Altimax RT-43 is in size 215-60-15
The Kuhmo I can get in the original 225-50-15

Theoretically, the 225-50 would have a tiny bit wider contact patch AND a tiny bit shorter sidewall. SO, technically, it would "handle" better for my purposes than the General's 215-60.

My price on either is nearly the same.
I like the look of the Kuhmo better but, ONLY all else being equal would that matter.

SO....with which one would YOU go?

Never thought you were less than happy with quality and my reply was not in any way an attempt to defend my product. An accurate understanding of what a product does is a big key in customer satisfaction. I really enjoy an informed customer. Your understanding and experience may help another person make an informed choice.

Every product has limits, by design. By your very comments I am sure we are on the same page. One of the things I really appreciate about this forum is the opportunity to discuss an issue openly with the intent to improve the experience and no hard feelings.

The stock tires tend to wear out in the middle (especially the rear) because of the 2 ply tread. With a 'Car' tire you'll get a 4 ply tread which keeps the entire width of the tire in contact with the pavement even at high speeds. Plus, with a wider/lower profile front tire you'll get a bit stiffer sidewall and a lower profile. Both will help to eliminate 'roll under' keeping the tread area of the tire in contact with the road surface. This will really help in your situation.

I really like the 185/60r 14's I'm running now. But options change all the time. Look for a tire that has very good wet traction. I think this more important than how fast they wear. The fronts last a long time anyway (as long as your alignment is good).

That is what it is all about! :ohyea:

BajaRon
10-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Ron: I'm down to 2 choices for a new rear tire.

The General Altimax RT-43 is in size 215-60-15
The Kuhmo I can get in the original 225-50-15

Theoretically, the 225-50 would have a tiny bit wider contact patch AND a tiny bit shorter sidewall. SO, technically, it would "handle" better for my purposes than the General's 215-60.

My price on either is nearly the same.
I like the look of the Kuhmo better but, ONLY all else being equal would that matter.

SO....with which one would YOU go?

I would honestly have to do the research before I gave you an answer. The lower profile and wider footprint are pluses. But a number of Spyder Rider's have been very happy with the 215/60 tires.

Windagetray
10-12-2015, 10:17 AM
I would honestly have to do the research before I gave you an answer. The lower profile and wider footprint are pluses. But a number of Spyder Rider's have been very happy with the 215/60 tires.

That (research) isn't necessary. My research leads me to the above mentioned choices. There of course are other 215/60 tires mentioned on the forums but, the General has the most detailed feedback AND the most positive reviews on the tire sites. I think I will see which rear tire might have a matching tire in a front tire size just to "keep it all in the family" and go with that for the next round of rubber. I will review whatever I do but, probably not until next riding season when I get to break it all in.

BajaRon
10-12-2015, 12:20 PM
That (research) isn't necessary. My research leads me to the above mentioned choices. There of course are other 215/60 tires mentioned on the forums but, the General has the most detailed feedback AND the most positive reviews on the tire sites. I think I will see which rear tire might have a matching tire in a front tire size just to "keep it all in the family" and go with that for the next round of rubber. I will review whatever I do but, probably not until next riding season when I get to break it all in.

You may be 100% right. But I purchased a set of Falkins for this very reason (without doing my normal, independent research). I have found the Falkens to be just fair in dry and greasy in wet. Nowhere near as good as the Toyo Proxies I had before.

I'm sure all the positive reviews from Spyder riders running the Falkens were their honest opinion. They just did not work out well for me.

Windagetray
10-13-2015, 10:25 PM
You may be 100% right. But I purchased a set of Falkins for this very reason (without doing my normal, independent research). I have found the Falkens to be just fair in dry and greasy in wet. Nowhere near as good as the Toyo Proxies I had before.

I'm sure all the positive reviews from Spyder riders running the Falkens were their honest opinion. They just did not work out well for me.

I hadn't seen too much about the Falkens. I also see a lot of negatives for going wider on the front tires citing clearance issues. Additionally, I don't need fronts right now so, I ordered a new Kuhmo in stock size for the rear. Unless someone changes my mind, the next round will be whatever the Vee Rubber offering is at that time.

BajaRon
10-13-2015, 11:39 PM
I hadn't seen too much about the Falkens. I also see a lot of negatives for going wider on the front tires citing clearance issues. Additionally, I don't need fronts right now so, I ordered a new Kuhmo in stock size for the rear. Unless someone changes my mind, the next round will be whatever the Vee Rubber offering is at that time.

The Falkens were the 'Soup-du-jour' when I was buying. I don't see much about them anymore either. All I'm saying is that the current favorites may not necessarily be the way to go.

As for clearance, it didn't take much effort to center the fender on my 08. I don't know about the new fenders. Again, research needed.

Good luck with your tire selection. It makes all the difference in the world.

Highwayman2013
10-13-2015, 11:52 PM
The reason some of us have gone to the 215/60/15 size is more tire choices. The size works fine and I could tell no difference in handling. One side benefit is the speedometer now matches the gps speed. You can choose any tire you like just let us all know how your choice works out. My Michelin Primacy has been fine for 14,000 miles.