PDA

View Full Version : Spyder wiring help

M2Wild
01-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Does anyone here know which one is the "hot" wire and which one is the "ground" wire on the rear signal lights? Both lights have a dual colored wire and a black colored wire. I am guessing the black one is the ground?

:chat:

LittleJohn
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Does anyone here know which one is the "hot" wire and which one is the "ground" wire on the rear signal lights? Both lights have a dual colored wire and a black colored wire. I am guessing the black one is the ground?

:chat:

That would be my first guess as well. Do you have an ohm meter? You could check continuity between the black and ground and see if its correct.
If I remember tonight, Ill look at my wiring diagrams I got with my svc manual and see what I can see.

M2Wild
01-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Thank you. I was looking for my meter this morning before work .... dunno where the hell I left it before ... !@$@#%$

NancysToy
01-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Black is ground on the Spyder, but some have had the wires reversed in assembly.
-Scotty

bone crusher
01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I had that issue when putting in the triple play...

Darn bike has different color wires everywhere...I messed up when I crossed the wires because there was a black and dark green...whoops...flashlight helped with that one!

The black should be the grounding wire everywhere...

SLO RYDER
01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
According to the Schematic in the Manual the Black wire is Ground. Black was ground as well on my Spyder

Mike

M2Wild
01-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Black is ground on the Spyder, but some have had the wires reversed in assembly.
-Scotty

Oh that's great. Guess testing will be the safest way to determine the ground without risk blowing a fuse. I will start with the black wires though. Talon installation is almost complete. I will report back with an installation thread. It's pretty easy once I figure out where the wires will reach and how to route all the wiring. I have some good suggestions.

LittleJohn
01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Thank you. I was looking for my meter this morning before work .... dunno where the hell I left it before ... !@$@#%$

I know what you mean. Looks like you got the answers.
As far as a meter goes, I solved my "where is it!" problem by buyin one of those tiny cheap multi meters at Wal Mart, and I keep it on the bike at al times. Works fine for testing continuity, and if the charging system is working, or if theres power at a circuit. It was like $3 or somethin and well worth the peace of mind out on the road.

effgjamis
01-06-2009, 08:33 AM
I know what you mean. Looks like you got the answers.
As far as a meter goes, I solved my "where is it!" problem by buyin one of those tiny cheap multi meters at Wal Mart, and I keep it on the bike at al times. Works fine for testing continuity, and if the charging system is working, or if theres power at a circuit. It was like $3 or somethin and well worth the peace of mind out on the road.

WOW !! that is a great idea..

LittleJohn
01-06-2009, 09:09 AM
WOW !! that is a great idea..
Thanks.
I keep alot of crap on the bike that I hope I never need, but I take some long trips with alot of different bikes and have helped out quite a few with my "arsenal" of emergency stuff.
Off the top of my head I keep
Multimeter
electrical tape
length of wire
some odds and ends wire connectors/ends
crimping/stripping tool
tire plugger
zip ties
stainless safety wire
compressor/tire inflator
pressure gage
siphon
plastic peanut butter jar (this is mainly for catching gas if I have to "tanker" someone since I can get it low enough to siphon, but also makes good storage for some of the other little stuff in the meantime)
Basic tools

Theres probably more that has made its way into the magic bag, but thats the majority of it. Ive used some of this stuff for myself, but mostly to help others that break down. I tail alot for our riding group, so I have to be ready for any problems that cause someone in the group to drop out.

NancysToy
01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh that's great. Guess testing will be the safest way to determine the ground without risk blowing a fuse. I will start with the black wires though. Talon installation is almost complete. I will report back with an installation thread. It's pretty easy once I figure out where the wires will reach and how to route all the wiring. I have some good suggestions.
Testing is the correct way, but unless you remove the bulb or other device to isolate the ground, you will read voltage through the filament. Easiest way to spot the ground on a vehicle is that it is the same color wire that goes to all the bulbs and other components. There are some that will serve, say both taillights, like the lighting circuit, but that will not run to the turn signals, for instance. Usually a little logic can help you figure it out. If testing, just remember to remove the bulb or unplug the connector first. Better yet, leave the key turned off, and check continuity to ground at the connector or socket.
-Scotty

ataDude
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Where's the duck (duct) tape? :D
http://www.galleryone.com/images/bullas/bullas-duck-tape.jpg

Thanks.
I keep alot of crap on the bike that I hope I never need, but I take some long trips with alot of different bikes and have helped out quite a few with my "arsenal" of emergency stuff.
Off the top of my head I keep
Multimeter
electrical tape
length of wire
some odds and ends wire connectors/ends
crimping/stripping tool
tire plugger
zip ties
stainless safety wire
compressor/tire inflator
pressure gage
siphon
plastic peanut butter jar (this is mainly for catching gas if I have to "tanker" someone since I can get it low enough to siphon, but also makes good storage for some of the other little stuff in the meantime)
Basic tools

Theres probably more that has made its way into the magic bag, but thats the majority of it. Ive used some of this stuff for myself, but mostly to help others that break down. I tail alot for our riding group, so I have to be ready for any problems that cause someone in the group to drop out.