PDA

View Full Version : Chock for trailering

Cognac
08-02-2015, 06:44 AM
We will be traveling at times with out STL in an enclosed trailer pulled by our RV. We want to install chocks in the trailer for the front tires. Any recommendation on (1.) chocks that best fit these tires (usual size choices are 5.5" or 6.5") and (2.) chocks that won't rub the fenders.

P.S. We know we can use tie-down and not chocks but our trailer is barely long enough so chocks will work better than tie-down for the front.

pauly1
08-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Here's what I use: back rear wheel against home made wood chock, tie down strap on either side. Guide block on either side of front wheels. Simple. Quick. Inexpensive. Over 15k miles using such a system.

Tie downs need to pull against chock and down. Contained within the space of the bike. I can load both Spyders (an ST-LTD and an F3) is about 12 minutes.

Wayne

viperryder
08-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Here's what I use: back rear wheel against home made wood chock, tie down strap on either side. Guide block on either side of front wheels. Simple. Quick. Inexpensive. Over 15k miles using such a system.

Tie downs need to pull against chock and down. Contained within the space of the bike. I can load both Spyders (an ST-LTD and an F3) is about 12 minutes.

Wayne

How do you hold your Spyder up against the wall of the trailor?:roflblack:

billybovine
08-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Take a look at Superclamps for Spyder. They are a site sponsor. http://www.superclamp.net/superclamp_spyder.asp

TexasSpyder
08-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Take a look at Superclamps for Spyder. They are a site sponsor. http://www.superclamp.net/superclamp_spyder.asp

:agree:

J. D.

vided
08-03-2015, 05:47 AM

Wayne

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112854&stc=1

jaherbst
08-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Of course SuperClamps is by far the better way to go. Best system I have come across in years. Simply drive on and attach two small straps while standing up.

Jack

pauly1
08-03-2015, 10:12 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112854&stc=1
This is how it should look.

pauly1
08-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Of course SuperClamps is by far the better way to go. Best system I have come across in years. Simply drive on and attach two small straps while standing up.

Jack
Agreed, and especially for the 'just write the check' approach. I did look at them but they wouldn't work in my trailer set up.

Two Spyders end to end are over 16 feet long. I need to back one in, precuding the usage of the SuperClamp. Besides I weighed bending over and $5 against $800 for two sets of SuperClamps, and the picture shows wich one won.

Wayne

jaherbst
08-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Agreed, and especially for the 'just write the check' approach. I did look at them but they wouldn't work in my trailer set up.

Two Spyders end to end are over 16 feet long. I need to back one in, precuding the usage of the SuperClamp. Besides I weighed bending over and $5 against $800 for two sets of SuperClamps, and the picture shows wich one won.

Wayne

Too bad, you don't know what your missing. I believe they are now $369 or #389 factory direct. I have them in two different trailers now. When you get rich like me and "Hillary" price means nothing. Just write the check.:joke: No worries.

Actually, I did not write the check. One of my full time crew on my yacht in the Med. gave them to me for my birthday.

Jack

pauly1
08-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Too bad, you don't know what your missing. I believe they are now $369 or #389 factory direct. I have them in two different trailers now. When you get rich like me and "Hillary" price means nothing. Just write the check.:joke: No worries.

Actually, I did not write the check. One of my full time crew on my yacht in the Med. gave them to me for my birthday.

Jack

I know what I'm missing, just couldn't make them work in my trailer

p.s.. Can you adopt me?

Wayne

jaherbst
08-04-2015, 10:58 AM
I know what I'm missing, just couldn't make them work in my trailer

p.s.. Can you adopt me?

Wayne

Consider yourself adopted! Understand why you cannot use them in a tandem trailer when you have to back the first one in. Nice looking trailer.

By the way, Super Clamps are a breeze to install with great instructions

Jack

sledmaster
08-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Yep, Superclamps are also the ONLY way to go with sleds as well. Well designed products, quick and easy to secure the toys. :firstplace:

mxz600
08-04-2015, 12:31 PM
You guys get commission from superclamps? Way over priced chunks of plastic. I know, I know, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more than I trailer my Spyder I for one find it no big deal to tie the bike down with straps.

JackSome of us do live on a budget and paying big money for things rarely used, for me is out of the question.

Yep, Superclamps are also the ONLY way to go with sleds as well. Well designed products, quick and easy to secure the toys. :firstplace:

I never secure my sleds in the trailer and they never move no matter how long the trip.

jaherbst
08-04-2015, 07:32 PM
You guys get commission from superclamps? Way over priced chunks of plastic. I know, I know, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. No more than I trailer my Spyder I for one find it no big deal to tie the bike down with straps.

Some of us do live on a budget and paying big money for things rarely used, for me is out of the question.

Come now, if you are on such a budget why did you spend 20-30 thousand dollars for a toy plus the cost of the trailer. Who's kidding who. After this kind of spending Super Clamps is just pocket change.

Jack

I never secure my sleds in the trailer and they never move no matter how long the trip.

I would highly advise you secure the sleds some how. If you ever had to make a panic stop you would have ski's around your ears. I too lived in MN and trailered a lot of Snowmobiles around the country but never unsecured.

Jack

rabtech
08-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Im about to post in the for sale section two sets of spyder clamps. I used them on my trailer and they worked perfect. I am going to take the bottom plates and the tie down hooks off the trailer this afternoon and take pictures of all the components.

I haven't posted here in a while. I bought a Polaris Slingshot and have been driving it here lately.

Anyway , I am not sure what to ask for them. Shipping is pretty dang high because they are large and heavy.

Here is a picture of them on my trailer. I know they are 400.00 + shipping new. Maybe this afternoon when i get everything off the trailer and have it all in front of me I can come up with a price. If someone wants to make me an offer I would gladly take it into consideration ....

By the way,,,, I hope everyone has been doing well since my last post over here.....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113971&stc=1

rabtech
08-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Here is another shot of one set on the trailer. You can also see the front quack attach plate beside the regular motorcycle chocks up front.
I have to remove those plates this afternoon and the 4 tie downs where the straps hook. Shouldn't take to long.

You can see its all in good shape. I keep the chocks off and stored in my barn when they are not being used...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113975&stc=1

Big F
08-19-2015, 12:59 PM
We will be traveling at times with out STL in an enclosed trailer pulled by our RV. We want to install chocks in the trailer for the front tires. Any recommendation on (1.) chocks that best fit these tires (usual size choices are 5.5" or 6.5") and (2.) chocks that won't rub the fenders.

P.S. We know we can use tie-down and not chocks but our trailer is barely long enough so chocks will work better than tie-down for the front.

I have an open trailer (5 1/2' X 10' from Northern Tool) and bought two chocks at WalMart (less than $10) and bolted them to the floor. Drive my Spyder on the trailer, strap down the two front wheels and the back wheel and off I go. Have trailered my RT Limited many thousands of mile and NOT one problem... Simple and minimal costs.
BIG F

spyderryder53
08-19-2015, 03:38 PM

I just ordered atv, chocks from e trailer they are good for 11 inch wide tires.
I will let you know how they are when I get them..
Leon

Buggy
08-19-2015, 05:15 PM
Why do need chocks if you strap the two front wheels forward and put two straps on the back wheel leading aft?...that's what I do on my trailer and the bike never moves.