PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Fluid Is Brake Fluid?

sandeejs
08-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Before I start changing my transmission/clutch fluid (2010 RT), please re-assure me:
Dot 4 brake fluid goes into the transmission?
This is right?
I'm not confused? (About this, anyway.)
:read:
Thanks in advance!
~Sandee~

Chupaca
08-01-2015, 09:44 PM
clutch runs on the same oil as the engine. Only the manual clutch uses brake fluid in the master cylinder. If you are ryding a semi automatic the trasmission and engine oil is the same. Change both filters if semi automatic and the one filter on the manual...:lecturef_smilie:

JayBros
08-01-2015, 09:50 PM
I suggest you read pages 153 and then 123-126 of your operator's guide before you do something you might regret.

The DOT 4 brake fluid activates the clutch mechanism. You have a master cylinder on the clutch lever and a slave cylinder at the engine end that activates the clutch with a hydraulic piston. The transmission runs on the same oil that lubricates the engine.

Mazo EMS2
08-02-2015, 11:02 AM
YIKES!!! Assuming you have the SM5, No, your "transmission fluid" is the same oil that is in the motor. Your "clutch fluid" is totally separate, and is actually DOT 4 brake fluid. It goes in the reservoir up by your left hand and clutch lever. The motor oil/transmission fluid goes in the oil tank down by your left foot.

sandeejs
08-02-2015, 02:52 PM
YIKES!!! Your "clutch fluid" is totally separate, and is actually DOT 4 brake fluid. It goes in the reservoir up by your left hand and clutch lever. The motor oil/transmission fluid goes in the oil tank down by your left foot.

Yeah. That's what I meant. I think. No worries, I'm not gonna pour brake fluid in the oil tank.
~Sandee~

sandeejs
08-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Checked the clutch fluid - almost empty. Was clear, though. Added Dot 4. Took the tryke half apart to tighten up to lead to battery, then went for a nice ryde. It shifted like a champ, started and restarted when ever. Nyce ryde.
:dg1:
~Sandee~