PDA

View Full Version : Possible Eastern Canada 2017

PrairieSpyder
08-01-2015, 11:46 AM
[I deleted and reposted this to correct a typo in the title.]

. . .
Next big adventure? How about the Owner's Event in Valcourt in 2017. Are you in?

Ann,

Are you the group planner for this one!

Les

I could be. I'm planning on heading north from Las Vegas to Canada then east from there. Maybe even go all the way to Newfoundland, do they have any roads there? Scratch that, I mean New Brunswick and Nova Scotia then I'll hit Maine and New Hampshire and come back from there. We could go by Dave & Joni's in Buffalo then around the mitten of Michigan, maybe take the old ferry across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin. I want to go to Bemidji on the way home.

Are you in?

Sounds fun for 2017. Being we were just in the Atlantic Provinces last summer I know they have roads. . . .

+1 on the thanks to Karyl for heading up the North to Alaska expedition.

I'm in for Owners Event 2017 and Canadian Maritime Provinces!
Oh, yeah! :ohyea:
Sounds like a plan! Why not Newfoundland, too? :hun:

seriously I'm in :yes::yes::yes:

Ahhhhhhhh Bemidji. Don't miss the giant statue of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. Say hello to Seth for me.

As the saying goes " like Flint":thumbup: Maybe I can talk Paula into going :ohyea: We could head north and meet up with you some ware in Canada.

Well Karyl, you know my door is always open and you can certainly bring friends :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:...... I still have four spare bedrooms and I think my cooking has actually improved since your last visit........plus I have discovered some even " twistyer " (?) roads than you experienced previously.......keep me posted........Mike :thumbup:

You and Kathy are "on the line"..make it happen with Paula...that would be soooooooo awesome. :clap::bowdown: . . .

I've copied these quotes from the NtA blog thread. Let's post here about getting interest and planning for this ryde.

PrairieSpyder
08-01-2015, 11:53 AM
:agree:.....annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I was serious about post # 591.......I think Karyl missed it ?????:yikes:.....I'm not that far from Valcort.....I'm going to google it now .....111 miles on some interesting scenic ( non-muddy :roflblack: roads )........Mike :thumbup:

Copied this here per Mike's request.

Imagestealer
08-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Count me in. Sounds like a great trip!

:2thumbs:

gypsy_100
08-01-2015, 12:53 PM
As promised, here's my reminder about Newfoundland. Anyone who has the time should add Newfoundland to their itinerary. It is fantastic and well worth the extra time and effort to get there. Take a 5-hour ferry from the eastern end of Nova Scotia out of North Sydney to Port Aux Basques. Or take a 14-hour overnight ferry from North Sydney to Argentia on the eastern end of Newfoundland and then ride back across the island. We've done both and are ready to do it again.

ARtraveler
08-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Great idea PS.

A lot of good stuff to be found on the proposed trip. Been to some of the places and still have fond memories.

As Jackie Gleason used to say:

"And Awwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy we go! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

NautiBrit
08-01-2015, 10:34 PM
As Jackie Gleason used to say:

"And Awwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy we go! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

He also used to say "You're going to the moon, Alice". Could we get that on the agenda?

Helen and I are in for an east coast trip.

HVACR Guy
08-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Been member of the site since March 2015 and have been riding as much as the weather cooperates. I'm interested in going to Valcourt 10th Aniversary.
Would it be rude to ask if you are doing as a group ride to consider a newbie to ride along?
I'm just outside of Toronto, Ontario.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

PrairieSpyder
08-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Been member of the site since March 2015 and have been riding as much as the weather cooperates. I'm interested in going to Valcourt 10th Aniversary.
Would it be rude to ask if you are doing as a group ride to consider a newbie to ride along?

I don't think there are any restrictions.

Highwayman2013
08-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Sounds fun count us in.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112840&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112841&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112842&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112843&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112844&stc=1

Trbayth
08-02-2015, 06:42 PM
I'd love to go. Of course, Valcourt is only a 6 hour straight shot up the NY Thruway for me.

lwrydr
08-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Count me in....sounds like a great trip....

SpyderAnn01
08-02-2015, 08:01 PM

You've got nearly 2 years to become an old hand at riding before the trip.

SpyderAnn01
08-02-2015, 08:03 PM
I'd love to go. Of course, Valcourt is only a 6 hour straight shot up the NY Thruway for me.

You could always ride the return trip with us or head out early and meet us out west.

HVACR Guy
08-02-2015, 08:21 PM
You've got nearly 2 years to become an old hand at riding before the trip.
I usually ride with no one and look forward to going with a great bunch like yourselves . Very few Spyder riders around here.

PrairieSpyder
08-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I've been looking at the maps. The Canadian Maritimes are New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. But Newfoundland Island can be reached by ferry. And Labrador can be reached by ferry from there. And vice-a-versa.

There's a highway crossing central labrador. Here's a web-site about it and generally about travel in Labrador and Newfoundland. There's maps and lots of travel pictures. His sounds like fun:
" . . you can now do a circle tour from Baie Comeau (Quebec), north to Labrador City, east across to Goose Bay, down to Blanc Sablon via Cartwright, take the ferry across the Strait of Belle Isle to Newfoundland, drive south down the west coast of Newfoundland to Port aux Basques, from where you can take the ferry across to Nova Scotia."

NautiBrit
08-03-2015, 09:58 PM

Looking forward to meeting you as we lived in Oakville before moving to SoCal. In fact, our daughters were both born at Oakville General.

Highwayman2013
08-03-2015, 10:02 PM

You won't be a newbie by 2017.

HVACR Guy
08-03-2015, 10:06 PM
What a coincidence. We were living in Brampton just before moving to Oakville but made the drive to Oakville just to have both children delivered there. They have almost completed the new $1 billion hospital 3rd line and Dundas.

HVACR Guy
08-03-2015, 10:08 PM
You won't be a newbie by 2017.
Not at the pace I'm going at.

PrairieSpyder
08-03-2015, 10:27 PM
I've been looking at the maps. The Canadian Maritimes are Nw Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. But Newfoundland Island can be reached by ferry. And Labrador can be reached by ferry from there. And vice-a-versa.

There's a highway crossing central labrador. Here's a web-site about it and generally about travel in Labrador and Newfoundland. There's maps and lots of travel pictures. His sounds like fun:
" . . you can now do a circle tour from Baie Comeau (Quebec), north to Labrador City, east across to Goose Bay, down to Blanc Sablon via Cartwright, take the ferry across the Strait of Belle Isle to Newfoundland, drive south down the west coast of Newfoundland to Port aux Basques, from where you can take the ferry across to Nova Scotia."

Oops! Forgot to include the link!

http://www.tlhwy.com

HVACR Guy
08-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Uh, I hope that picture is from THE most remote areas. I hate gravel roads. Lol.

viperryder
08-04-2015, 07:07 AM
We are also planning on going to Quebec meeting. Will take considerable planning, but well worth it.:clap::yes:

gypsy_100
08-04-2015, 05:13 PM

Been to Newfoundland and it's great. Green, scenic, great little villages on the seashore. Went across to Labrador on the ferry and rode the 55 miles of paved road that exist there. Not green but barren instead. Stayed in Blanc Sablon and rode to Red Bay where the pavement ends. Look at the photo on the home page of your link. That's where the gravel starts in Red Bay. I rode a little of that gravel on my two-wheeler. It was not like other gravel I've been on -- it was like riding on marbles.

Here are just a few quotes from the website that you provided:

"From a practical point of view, the highway consists of two parts as well: paved and gravel. And after traveling the entire route from Baie Comeau to Goose Bay and back on about 1600km of gravel road, you will never again take paved roads for granted!!"
"From Baie Comeau to Manic 5 (212km) the road is paved, but it is twisty, narrow, and very hilly, with no real shoulder. No gas until the Manic 5 dam, 212km to the north.
Please remember above all, that although the Trans-Labrador Hwy has been rebuilt as a modern gravel road, it is still a very remote area, with as much as 290 km between gas stations and other services."
"This is a raw, purely practical road. It is definitely not a scenic parkway for tourists. The road was built for transportation alone. There are no scenic pullouts, no rest areas, no campgrounds, and very little signage to help guide you. You can camp wherever you want (well, perhaps not officially, but I did), and this usually ends up being in the old gravel pits that were used to build the road."
"If the road is dry, expect a complete whiteout from the dust after a truck passes you. Slow down and pull to the right as far as you can safely go. This will help preserve your front windshield (from flying stones), as well as keep you out of the way if the oncoming driver does not pull over to their side of the road far enough. And watch out for another vehicle following the first, suddenly appearing out of the dust cloud. Watch for graders that are continually working on the road."

Study the website and investigate the internet thoroughly if you're at all serious about it. There are many trip reports from the serious dirt-bike riders and adventure-bike riders who have done the road and can provide the motorcyclist's perspective. Also note that if you take the ferry from Blanc Sablon across to St Barbe, Newfoundland and ride from there south to Port Aux Basques, you miss most of Newfoundland. In my opinion, that would be a real shame. You're on the northern peninsula when you get off the ferry from Blanc Sablon. Good things there -- go north to L'Anse aux Meadows World Heritage Site where the Vikings landed about 1,000 AD. Very interesting. Then return south past the ferry point and pass thru the fantastic Gross Morne National Park. But then when you hit the TC-1, look at how much of Newfoundland is east of there. The main part of the island. North of the TC-1 on the north shore of the main part of the island are many little seaside towns and back roads. And eventually you can end up in St John's which is a very cosmopolitan city seemingly "at the end of the world". From there, you either turn around and go all the way back across the island (fairly quickly on the TC-1 if you desire) or go SW down to Argentia and get the 14-hour ferry back to North Sydney, Nova Scotia.

If you just go from St Barbe down to Port Aux Basques as described on the website, you miss L'Anse aux Meadows as well as everything in the main part of the island.

Just some food for thought.

PrairieSpyder
08-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Been to Newfoundland and it's great. Green, scenic, great little villages on the seashore. Went across to Labrador on the ferry and rode the 55 miles of paved road that exist there. Not green but barren instead. Stayed in Blanc Sablon and rode to Red Bay where the pavement ends. Look at the photo on the home page of your link. That's where the gravel starts in Red Bay. I rode a little of that gravel on my two-wheeler. It was not like other gravel I've been on -- it was like riding on marbles.

Here are just a few quotes from the website that you provided:

"From a practical point of view, the highway consists of two parts as well: paved and gravel. And after traveling the entire route from Baie Comeau to Goose Bay and back on about 1600km of gravel road, you will never again take paved roads for granted!!"
"From Baie Comeau to Manic 5 (212km) the road is paved, but it is twisty, narrow, and very hilly, with no real shoulder. No gas until the Manic 5 dam, 212km to the north.
Please remember above all, that although the Trans-Labrador Hwy has been rebuilt as a modern gravel road, it is still a very remote area, with as much as 290 km between gas stations and other services."
"This is a raw, purely practical road. It is definitely not a scenic parkway for tourists. The road was built for transportation alone. There are no scenic pullouts, no rest areas, no campgrounds, and very little signage to help guide you. You can camp wherever you want (well, perhaps not officially, but I did), and this usually ends up being in the old gravel pits that were used to build the road."
"If the road is dry, expect a complete whiteout from the dust after a truck passes you. Slow down and pull to the right as far as you can safely go. This will help preserve your front windshield (from flying stones), as well as keep you out of the way if the oncoming driver does not pull over to their side of the road far enough. And watch out for another vehicle following the first, suddenly appearing out of the dust cloud. Watch for graders that are continually working on the road."

Study the website and investigate the internet thoroughly if you're at all serious about it. There are many trip reports from the serious dirt-bike riders and adventure-bike riders who have done the road and can provide the motorcyclist's perspective. Also note that if you take the ferry from Blanc Sablon across to St Barbe, Newfoundland and ride from there south to Port Aux Basques, you miss most of Newfoundland. In my opinion, that would be a real shame. You're on the northern peninsula when you get off the ferry from Blanc Sablon. Good things there -- go north to L'Anse aux Meadows World Heritage Site where the Vikings landed about 1,000 AD. Very interesting. Then return south past the ferry point and pass thru the fantastic Gross Morne National Park. But then when you hit the TC-1, look at how much of Newfoundland is east of there. The main part of the island. North of the TC-1 on the north shore of the main part of the island are many little seaside towns and back roads. And eventually you can end up in St John's which is a very cosmopolitan city seemingly "at the end of the world". From there, you either turn around and go all the way back across the island (fairly quickly on the TC-1 if you desire) or go SW down to Argentia and get the 14-hour ferry back to North Sydney, Nova Scotia.

If you just go from St Barbe down to Port Aux Basques as described on the website, you miss L'Anse aux Meadows as well as everything in the main part of the island.

Just some food for thought.

I had read that part of the web-site and hoped someone would chime in, especially if they had something closer to first-hand knowledge. I would like to ferry to Labrador to ryde at least the paved roads, if we can.

Thanks for your input.

gypsy_100
08-05-2015, 02:57 PM
I had read that part of the web-site and hoped someone would chime in, especially if they had something closer to first-hand knowledge. I would like to ferry to Labrador to ryde at least the paved roads, if we can.

Thanks for your input.

The good thing is you've got lots of time to do lots of research and homework. Just for info, I'll summarize what we did on our two motorcycle trips to Newfoundland. First time, we took the 14-hour ferry from North Sydney, NS to Argentia. Going that direction, you can take the ferry overnight which meant we weren't spending a "day" on the ferry and paying extra for a cabin was equal to not getting a motel room for the night. From Argentia rode up to St John's, after doing a puffin excursion boatride south of St John's. Worked our way back across Newfoundland on back roads and parts of the TC-1. When we got to the Northern peninsula, we went up it just far enough to stay at Gross Morne National Park, then returned and went to Port Aux Basques for the 5-hour ferry to North Sydney.

Second time our goal was L'Anse aux Meadows to see the "ruins" they found there of the Viking settlement circa 1000AD. Very interesting and a fascinating place. So we took the 5-hour ferry from North Sydney to Port Aux Basques and headed up to Gross Morne again. Then next day went further up and got the ferry to Labrador. The ferry actually lands in Blanc Sablon, Quebec which is on the border with Labrador. One motel in Blanc Sablon so we stayed there. The restaurant was permanently closed so the only dinner choice was a small pizza shop down the street. Ah, the hardships of traveling in Labrador. :D Next day rode the 55 miles of paved road in Labrador to Red Bay and back, then got the ferry returning to Newfoundland and continued on up north to L'Anse aux Meadows. Eventually back to Port Aux Basques and the 5-hour return to Nova Scotia.

More detail than you wanted or certainly need. But just to give a feel for the many possibilities in Newfoundland Labrador. Enjoy!!

gypsy_100
08-11-2015, 04:31 PM
There's a good article in the latest issue of Road Runner Motorcycle Touring and Travel on riding the Trans Labrador Highway. October 2015 issue; Trans Labrador is mentioned on the cover. I just got my copy in the mail today. If you don't subscribe to it, hopefully you can get it at your local newsstand. Several stores here carry it. I think it's the best motorcycle touring magazine out there and worth chasing after.

There's also an article in there on riding a loop in British Columbia and western Alberta -- a little farther east than the route you all took going up thru BC. But I'm sure you can relate to it and some may have touched on these roads on their way back. I know MurhpyBrown did. Always fun to read articles about somewhere you've ridden. I've ridden all the roads in that loop and they are great.

NovaSpyder
08-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Like many oyhers I followed the NTA group with great interest and really apreciated the reporting and pics. I live in Nova Sotia so would like to offer whatever i can to help planning this trip. One area that is a must do is the Cabot trail in NS. I did that last week, usually ride it once a year. It has been rated as one of the top 10 motorcycle rides in North America.

Hopefully I can upply tidbits like our high octane gas is usually 91 and contains no ethonol at all gas stations in the Maritimes. Currently the American dollar will be worth about $1.28 cdn. Current price for gas in NS is $1.22 litre cdn which is about $3.30 us gallon for high octane, of course all this will change by 2017.

A route option is to take the ferry from Portland ME to NS. So let me know if I can help.

spydaman60
08-11-2015, 05:22 PM
is this for gos only, or can boys and girls on spyders be included? if so, carol and I are in! :dontknow:

PrairieSpyder
08-11-2015, 06:18 PM
is this for gos only, or can boys and girls on spyders be included? if so, carol and I are in! :dontknow:

This is for whoever wants to come along!

rogerb
08-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Nova Spyder what part of Nova Scotia do you live in? Have been going to the Bluenose Rally in the Kentville area for many years. We are planning on going to The Cabot Trail and Prince Edward Island next year after the Bluenose. Everywhere you go in the Maritimes is beautiful. Have time to think about it before 2017.

NovaSpyder
08-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Nova Spyder what part of Nova Scotia do you live in? Have been going to the Bluenose Rally in the Kentville area for many years. We are planning on going to The Cabot Trail and Prince Edward Island next year after the Bluenose. Everywhere you go in the Maritimes is beautiful. Have time to think about it before 2017.

Roger, I am on the north shore, Antigonish, our rood is called the mini trail as in mini Cabot trail. I never got to a Bluenose rally, timing was never good. Did get to one of the Wharf Rat rally's in Digby, 25,000 bikes in a town with 2,000 people! A couple of the Sons of Anarchy guys will be there this year. I'll miss that one too as I plan to be riding in the Rockies then.

Clary
09-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Like many oyhers I followed the NTA group with great interest and really apreciated the reporting and pics. I live in Nova Sotia so would like to offer whatever i can to help planning this trip. One area that is a must do is the Cabot trail in NS. I did that last week, usually ride it once a year. It has been rated as one of the top 10 motorcycle rides in North America.

Hopefully I can upply tidbits like our high octane gas is usually 91 and contains no ethonol at all gas stations in the Maritimes. Currently the American dollar will be worth about $1.28 cdn. Current price for gas in NS is $1.22 litre cdn which is about $3.30 us gallon for high octane, of course all this will change by 2017.

A route option is to take the ferry from Portland ME to NS. So let me know if I can help.
I also live in good old Nova Scotia and would love to be part of this get together. We have a group call Atlantic spyder riders and trying to get it off the ground 37 members so far.check it out on face book. Would be more then happy to help out in any way just let me know. Ride safe

PrairieSpyder
09-19-2015, 09:54 PM
I also live in good old Nova Scotia and would love to be part of this get together. We have a group call Atlantic spyder riders and trying to get it off the ground 37 members so far.check it out on face book. Would be more then happy to help out in any way just let me know. Ride safe

Thanks for the input and the offer. I think it would be great to meet up with local Spyder folks while we're in their territory.

Bfromla
09-20-2015, 12:23 AM
On my list of places to visit
Middle of no where diner
(http://eccentricroadside.blogspot.com/2011/02/all-dressed-up-and-nowhere-to-go-middle.html?m=1) & for movie fun if you liked Jaws http://thennowmovielocations.blogspot.com/2013/08/jaws.html?m=1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_points_of_the_United_States. :firstplace:Enjoy ,Ill get there some time or another. Least got my passport ready:lecturef_smilie:.

Scoot2Mtns
09-20-2015, 04:02 AM
Yeah! I'll be retired then so I can go! That area is on my bucket list because I was born in Newfoundland while my Dad was stationed at Harmon Air Force Base.

Clary
10-02-2015, 07:58 AM

Hi Dan, Dartmouth N.S. Member here. I am also on board with this upcoming trip in 2017. There is now a spyder club called "Atlantic Spyders Riders " with 32 members and growing, check it out on face book and join us please. The maritime tour sounds like a lot of fun and I hope it gets off the ground OK.