PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Ex-Rocket
08-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Today I'm installing the JT's GPS/ Power outlet bracket that mounts to the top of the dash. Along with the bracket I'm running the power cables down to the battery for my GPS and a UBS/ 15 volt power outlet. Here's my question, What is the correct procedure when I go to connect the positive or negative cables up to the battery. Should I connect the positives first or connect both negatives first?? I just don't want to cause nanny to give me any fault codes if I do something wrong. Thanks for all who reply.

JayBros
08-01-2015, 11:15 AM
I assume you will have ignition switch off until you have completed the hook ups. Positive first, negative second.

Ex-Rocket
08-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Yes switch will be turned off. Thanks

oldgoat
08-01-2015, 11:26 AM
If you are powering them directly from the battery, you should have a fuse in the line.

Imagestealer
08-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Today I'm installing the JT's GPS/ Power outlet bracket that mounts to the top of the dash. Along with the bracket I'm running the power cables down to the battery for my GPS and a UBS/ 15 volt power outlet. Here's my question, What is the correct procedure when I go to connect the positive or negative cables up to the battery. Should I connect the positives first or connect both negatives first?? I just don't want to cause nanny to give me any fault codes if I do something wrong. Thanks for all who reply.

Good electrical practice dictates the the ground (negative) should be first connected and last removed. That provides a path to discharge any static electricity that might be present without damaging the device being worked on.

:cheers:

Larry

Ex-Rocket
08-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Yes the power cables are fused. Thanks for everyone that replied. This forum is great.

Chupaca
08-01-2015, 02:26 PM
I always disconnect the negative first. If you touch it to any part of the metal parts there will be no sparking or ground causing shorts or messing up things. Once the negative cable is secured remove the positive. The unit is no longer grounded so if the positive should touch any metal parts nothing will happen. When reinstalling connect the positive first then the negative. If you do it the other way....make sure you, your tools or the positive cable is insulated..:yikes:

Ex-Rocket
08-01-2015, 07:25 PM
One tells me the negative first and then another tells me, no the positive first. Well everything is hooked up and powered up and all is working so I guess I did it correct. Plus I didn't get any codes. Went for a ride and all is well.:yes::yes:

Gray Ghost
08-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Chupaca is correct. In the automotive world you always disconnect the ground wire first and connect it last. If you do not follow that sequence and the tool you have on the hot terminal touches metal you will gain a real understanding of why you should not do it that way. It is likely that you will also teach any bystanders some new words.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

bmwlarry
08-02-2015, 10:31 AM
When connection - positive first, when disconnection - negative first!