PDA

View Full Version : Darn nails......

sleepman
01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Picked up a nail yesterday in my rear tire and didn't notice it until today. So my question is has anyone yet gotten around to trying a car tire on the rear? I'm thinking about giving one a try.

Lamonster
01-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Not yet. The OEM tire is pretty cheap and will give you about 12,000 miles. I do need a tire right now but I'm not sure what I'm going with.

I do know it will have this in it though.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/../rideon.gif (http://www.ride-onshop.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=73)

M2Wild
01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Didn't someone here say that the tire pattern needs to match in order for the TCS to work properly?

I think I have 1-2 season(s) of tread left on my rear tire. Best price I got on the OEM tire is $120 shipped. I wonder how much it will be for a dealer to mount it and balance it.

ataDude
01-05-2009, 12:16 PM
... I wonder how much it will be for a dealer to mount it and balance it.

At my dealer in Texas, it was $75 for an on-the-bike change, or $25 for off. They're a $95 per hour labor rate shop.

It's not really that hard to remove it yourself, FWIW... unless you have a Corbin rear fender. :yikes:

sleepman
01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm teetering on whether or not I'll be putting a car tire on it. A local tire shop has the right size tire and my indy says he'll do all the work and bill me for 1hr which is $60. Gonna talk to my dealer in the morning though, they'll come get the bike and they've got a tire in stock so I've got to make my decision tonight.

jetskier
01-05-2009, 03:48 PM
My dealer in the UK says that it's crucial to get an official BRP recommended tyre on the rear. It certainly needs to be symmetrical. The official stock tyre was designed with the Spyders TCS, so a regular car tyre may cause stability issues. Just what I was told.

Roger
01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I was told the same thing by bob from garganos yes you should use oem tire because of the hardness of the tire and the sidewalls have a lot to do with it also could mess up the sensor. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

dltang
01-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Picked up a nail yesterday in my rear tire and didn't notice it until today. So my question is has anyone yet gotten around to trying a car tire on the rear? I'm thinking about giving one a try.

I did the same thing quite some time ago. You know, we plugged that sucker and I've been driving on it ever since, probably over 6000 miles worth. I know a lot of folks would not suggest that but the cost to change the tire is a bit high. The tire itself isn't bad but changing it can be a bit labor intensive I understand. So I am just gonna keep going as is until I actually need a new tire.

sleepman
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I did the same thing quite some time ago. You know, we plugged that sucker and I've been driving on it ever since, probably over 6000 miles worth. I know a lot of folks would not suggest that but the cost to change the tire is a bit high. The tire itself isn't bad but changing it can be a bit labor intensive I understand. So I am just gonna keep going as is until I actually need a new tire.

I thought about plugging it, but in a week I'm making a run to Key West with some friends and 7 mile bridge is the last place I want a flat tire. So I'm not gonna chance the plug.

LDFIREWORKS
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I WOULD NOT PLUG A MOTORCYCLE TIRE FOR ANY REASON EXCEPT TO GET ME TO A PLACE WHERE I COULD BUY A NEW TIRE, IT IS NOT A CAR BUT TO EACH HIS OWN GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN IN THE KEYS WISH I WAS GOING:clap::clap::spyder:

IMRU3
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Question for you folks. I understand we are talking about changing the rear tire (BRP tire vs different tire) and how it would affect the tcs. If I were to change my front tires to wider tires, would it also affect the sensor ? How about traction?

sleepman
01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
For an update, I caved in and had the dealer ship come pick up the Spyder this morning and I'm having them put an OEM rear tire on it. My final decision was based off of the dealerships service tech who was kind enough to answer some email questions I had sent him. The final deciding factor was the idea that the beads on a car tire and the beads on a Spyder tire could be different enough that the car tire may not mount correctly. Being that I'm leaving next weekend for a trip to the Keys I needed to get the Spyder up and running so I took the proven way instead of the experiemental.

I'll also say that my dealership has stepped up once again. When I placed the call to the service manager to pick the Spyder up they started trying to rearrange their pick up and deliveries to get to me yesterday. I even had the Finance manager call me to see if there was anything he could do. I explained the Spyder was at home and I wasn't stranded and to just get to me when the could. Got a call this morning and their guy was on the way to my house first thing this morning.

steven888
01-07-2009, 09:09 PM
HEY, I HAVE ALL CAR TIRES ON THE SPYDER. THEY ARE TOYO T1R TIRES. FRONT SIZES, 185/60/14 REAR SIZE 225/50/15 HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THE SENSORS. I WAS ALSO TOLD BY THE DEALER THAT YOU NEED TO USE THE STOCK TIRES. NOT TRUE.

barkingspyder
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
HEY, I HAVE ALL CAR TIRES ON THE SPYDER. THEY ARE TOYO T1R TIRES. FRONT SIZES, 185/60/14 REAR SIZE 225/50/15 HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THE SENSORS. I WAS ALSO TOLD BY THE DEALER THAT YOU NEED TO USE THE STOCK TIRES. NOT TRUE.

Toyo eh? Very interesting.