PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think This Would Help?

Bob Denman
07-31-2015, 11:09 AM
..Okay; we get lots of questions in here, and we always enjoy kicking them around a bit! :thumbup:
But when it's obvious that the person doing the asking, has never opened up the manual; would this be an inappropriate response?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112674&stc=1
I'd like your thoughts on this... :D

wyliec
07-31-2015, 11:20 AM
..Okay; we get lots of questions in here, and we always enjoy kicking them around a bit! :thumbup:
But when it's obvious that the person doing the asking, has never opened up the manual; would this be an inappropriate response?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112674&stc=1
I'd like your thoughts on this... :D

You must be getting bored waiting for the BRP announcement for what is in the box.

Bob Denman
07-31-2015, 11:26 AM
:shocked: Yes; yes I am! :D

But I still think that this might be worth considering...

Chupaca
07-31-2015, 11:36 AM
:agree: first thing I tell every new member asking...read your manual cover to cover, watch the video and find a safe place to practice read the do's and do not's. Then ask about something you don't understand or wasn't there...:thumbup: or anthing else we can have fun with, pictures don't forget the pictures...:roflblack:

JayBros
07-31-2015, 11:47 AM
+1!

I sincerely enjoy trying to help a fellow SL solve a problem or get an answer to a question; it helps the Spyder team. That said, I find it hard to fathom how folks can shuck out large green for one of our fun machines and not read it's reference material, particularly when one's life may be at risk depending on the question. And yes, I myself have been guilty of overlooking stuff in the operator's manual and have asked questions that announced to all my incomplete research. But, how much tire pressure, what's the maintenance schedule, what kind of oil, can't shift into reverse -- come on! Off the soap box.

wyliec
07-31-2015, 12:24 PM
+1!

I sincerely enjoy trying to help a fellow SL solve a problem or get an answer to a question; it helps the Spyder team. That said, I find it hard to fathom how folks can shuck out large green for one of our fun machines and not read it's reference material, particularly when one's life may be at risk depending on the question. And yes, I myself have been guilty of overlooking stuff in the operator's manual and have asked questions that announced to all my incomplete research. But, how much tire pressure, what's the maintenance schedule, what kind of oil, can't shift into reverse -- come on! Off the soap box.

People read it, and then they forget about it, and find it easier to ask the question here. For those that find it bothersome, don't respond. I do have to take exception to your comment- can't shift into reverse. I have a GS, SM5 and I don't believe it's covered in the owner's manual. And, do you ever wonder why there are so many questions on oil, if it is covered in the manual? Tire pressures, forget about it; there are some that say if they run their tires + or- one pound of their ideal pressure, the tire wears much faster.

By the way, don't look to hard for an SM5 not shifting into reverse; it was a mechanical issue.

jcasey
07-31-2015, 12:29 PM
:popcorn:

Vt. Rider
07-31-2015, 12:29 PM
How about: RTFM !!!!

Bob Denman
07-31-2015, 12:33 PM
I thought about that one...

... and figured that Lamont might not approve of it. :opps:

SpyderAnn01
07-31-2015, 12:43 PM
I am so sick of getting blasted when I tell someone to read the manual, especially since I usually tell them what page to read. Bob, if you think it is bad here you should try Facebook. :roflblack:

cuznjohn
07-31-2015, 12:45 PM
i got word from sturges, brp is going back to the old motor in the rt's

SpyderAnn01
07-31-2015, 01:11 PM
i got word from sturges, brp is going back to the old motor in the rt's

Hey Cuz, I don't know what you are reading but it isn't this thread. :roflblack:

JayBros
07-31-2015, 01:16 PM
I am so sick of getting blasted when I tell someone to read the manual, especially since I usually tell them what page to read. Bob, if you think it is bad here you should try Facebook. :roflblack:

I knew there was another reason to have nothing to do with Facebook!

mxz600
07-31-2015, 01:29 PM
Real men don't need no stinking manual.

ARtraveler
07-31-2015, 01:34 PM
I spent the 8 months that I waited for my first 2008 GS reading the manual. It was online and I printed the whole thing. Had the machine pretty well figured out by the time it arrived. Except for setting the clock and stuff like that. :roflblack:

Likewise when I was waiting for a Premier Edition RT.

The first three years or so after that, the manual and videos became a winter review project when I needed some :spyder2: therapy while it was parked.

JayBros
07-31-2015, 01:45 PM
I have a GS, SM5 and I don't believe it's covered in the owner's manual.

You have a very good editorial point about the manual(s). From the number I have looked at all the way back to 2008 they all have the same editorial situation. The shifting mechanisms and how they function are explained, with some pictures, in a section called Primary Controls very early in each manual, and then the authors refer one to a another section entitled Basic Procedures for how to use them. One might reasonably think they could complete the subject in a single section. Then again the lawyers may have some reason to keep the two subject areas separate for liability reasons. When all else fails, blame the lawyers!

easysuper
07-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Ok, now I'm feeling guilty , after 2 years I guess I had better RTFM !:yikes:

cuznjohn
07-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Hey Cuz, I don't know what you are reading but it isn't this thread. :roflblack:

i am old but now i guess i am also feeble

Bob Denman
07-31-2015, 02:09 PM
Old; AND feeble??? :shocked:
:congrats: You're now a double-threat!! :clap: :firstplace:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-31-2015, 08:29 PM
I did not know until a couple of days ago, while accidentally reading a portion of the Owner's Manual, that the turn signals automatically turn off after 30 seconds! So I checked it out. They do! But 30 seconds it too long, IMO.