PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch and Wiring Harness Install

Vt. Rider
07-31-2015, 07:27 AM
I purchased an aftermarket trailer hitch and a ShowChrome wiring harness and will do the install myself.
Is there anything specific that I need to do or watch out for while doing this? I've never worked on a Spyder or even taken the Tupperware off of mine, but I'm going to do this anyway. I plan on running the harness power lead directly to the battery (others have suggested to find the auxillary fuse and hook it up there) but I think the battery is better.

I haven't been able to find any step by step directions, but I'm still looking for some. For now, I'll take any advice from this forum that I can get.

Thanks....
Smokinjoe (Vt Rider)

nickandro
07-31-2015, 09:01 AM
I installed the hitch from ShowChrome and found the install quite simple. Also have the wiring harness from ShowChrome but i have not installed yet. Both items came with directions also on line. Good Luck

billybovine
07-31-2015, 09:11 AM
I have installed the Show Chrome hitch. Easy enough to do.

The Show chrome wiring harness installs very different from the BRP one. Those that have installed one say it's easy enough. The harness you have has an isolation module but ends in 5 wires. So depending on your trailer. If it's 5 wire then just connect the proper plug end. If it's a 4 wire then you have to connect a converter and a plug.

Good Luck.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-01-2015, 01:44 AM
I purchased an aftermarket trailer hitch and a ShowChrome wiring harness and will do the install myself.
Is there anything specific that I need to do or watch out for while doing this? I've never worked on a Spyder or even taken the Tupperware off of mine, but I'm going to do this anyway. I plan on running the harness power lead directly to the battery (others have suggested to find the auxillary fuse and hook it up there) but I think the battery is better.
In the wiring harness on the bike there is an orange/violet wire specifically for trailer light power. It'll be on the upstream side of the connector under the left plastic cover under the back end of the seat. The downstream (lights) side of the connector won't have it.

Tap the power lead into it. It goes to the battery and is fused. That'll save fishing a wire all the way to the battery. You can see it in the pic at the bottom of the first post here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64757-How-I-wired-up-a-5-wire-trailer-harness-plus-other-lights-Part-1&highlight=trailer+wiring

Vt. Rider
08-01-2015, 07:39 AM
I believe you just saved me a lot of "fussin around".