PDA

View Full Version : SpyderQuest and Spectrol

rnet
07-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Spectrol is doing something special at SpyderQuest and they have asked me to find out what Vescosity oil is recommended for the different Spyder models. My 2009 GS-SE is 5/40. BRP synthetic has nothing labeled on their oil, but it is used in all models, so I can't go by that. So if some can check their owners manuals and report back with that info as well as year and model, it would be greatly appreciated.
Ron

Chupaca
07-30-2015, 10:35 AM
All the V-twin 998cc engines run on the 5w-40w oil. Factory puts the synthetic blend in but offer the full synthetic as well. I do not know if they change this with the new 1330 ACE engine...:thumbup:

coastrider
07-30-2015, 10:35 AM
BRPcare said in a thread last night concerning all 1330 Ace engines that their oil is a 5W40. I hope that's of some help. See you at SpyderQuest.

wiredgeorge
07-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Spectrol is doing something special at SpyderQuest and they have asked me to find out what Vescosity oil is recommended for the different Spyder models. My 2009 GS-SE is 5/40. BRP synthetic has nothing labeled on their oil, but it is used in all models, so I can't go by that. So if some can check their owners manuals and report back with that info as well as year and model, it would be greatly appreciated.
Ron

The Can-Am Spyder 2010-2011 Service Manual calls for XPS Synthetic Blend summer weight oil P/N 293 9600 121 but if you can't find this stuff use 5W40 semi or full synthetic API service SL, SJ, SH, SG.

billybovine
07-30-2015, 10:49 AM
The current versions of BRP's XPS lubricants oil is 5W40 for blended summer oil and 0W40 for full synthetic winter oil. In all versions all years of Spyders they have always recommended 5W40 oil. In the beginning they recommended their full synthetic oil, which was 5W40 at that time. When they changed their oil formula and blended oil became 5W40, their recommendation changed to their blended version.

STELLING MAN
07-30-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm sure glad I switched to Amsoil, the :f_spider: shifts better and runs a little cooler also..

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-30-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm sure glad I switched to Amsoil, the :f_spider: shifts better and runs a little cooler also..

:hun:.........I'm sorry, but you posted this information here .....WHY ? ? ?....................................I have an SE-6 transmission but that doesn't help the Poster here does it. !!!!!!..........Mike :thumbup:

BajaRon
07-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Not every producer makes a 0w-40 or 5w-40 product that will work in the Spyder. There are a lot of good reasons to go with the more available 10w-40 full synthetic lubricants. The upper number is what you want at operating temperature. This is where your Spyder runs probably 99.9% of the time.

The lower number is the viscosity at the low temperature specification for that lubricant. What you need is an oil that will protect your engine both at cold start and at operating temperature. 10w oil is very thin and plenty thin enough to circulate quickly down to temperatures well below freezing.

Snowmobiles often sit outside overnight in sub-zero temperatures. In these conditions you do need a 5w or even a 0w weight oil. But this is not the typical cold start environment for a Spyder.

BRP sells the same oil for everything from a Snowmobile to a See Doo. So they need an oil that will work well in these vehicles that see a wide range of temperatures.

Another aspect of multi-grade oils is the fact that the bigger the spread between the low number and the high number. The less stable (more prone to loss of viscosity) the oil is. Another advantage to 10w-40 weight.

Add to this the fact that a full synthetic oil tends to stay on metal parts better during shut down and that their flow characteristics are much better at cold start-up. It can actually be an advantage to use a 10w-40 full synthetic oil in the Spyder. In warm climates, a 15w-40 weight oil would not necessarily be a bad idea.

It is interesting that Aprilia (who uses the same 998 V-Twin engine) recommends 15w-50 oil. Riddle me that Batman! :ohyea: