PDA

View Full Version : Mirror, Mirror on the wall what costs Spyder's most of all?

Dubliner
07-29-2015, 10:20 PM
A few posters have hinted at the high cost of maintaining a Spyder :lecturef_smilie: especially the "V" twin, can someone(s) enlighten me?
What are we talking about here, regular stuff? Tires, fuel or oil and filters or visits to the hygienist?

pitzerwm
07-29-2015, 10:38 PM
You might read the "North to Alaska" thread, 10 bikes, 17 people 6K miles and very few problems.

Chupaca
07-29-2015, 11:08 PM
the difference boils down to maintenance. The twin needs or should have its oil and filter/s changed every 4,600 miles (upped from 3,000). The valves need adjusting at 14,000 miles ( mine are doing fine at 28,000). This is big bucks the valves anyway. The triple needs the oil and engine filter changed every 9,000 miles. The trans filter on the se models every 28,000 miles and does not need valve adjustments.

If you are looking for an economical cheap mode of transportation....this..is not it. If your looking for a fun recreational vehicle look no further. As for cheaper maintenance it would seem the triple is a better choice and does get better mileage. Still love my twin...:2thumbs:

Orange Spyder Man
07-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Can Am spyder is a VERY EXPENSIVE VEHICLE to maintain... an air filter change is over $1000.00... spark plug change is $800.00 .. back tire change
$300.00.. First dealer oil change & inspection (mandatory) is $350.00 if you thinking about buying a spyder... get your wallet ready to spend lots of bucks to maintain one

osm

Bob Denman
07-30-2015, 07:43 AM
Truthfully; a lot of this depends on your dealer... :thumbup:

cuznjohn
07-30-2015, 07:52 AM
all bikes are expensive to have work done on them so i have to agree with bob. if you like to work on your bike and do oil changes and tires yourself it is just maintenance, but when it comes to motor or transmission work done by dealers that charge 90 t0 1oo bucks per hr. it is going to add up

Bob Denman
07-30-2015, 07:56 AM
My dealer charges $65 per hour. Up until this year; he only charged $50... :thumbup:

cuznjohn
07-30-2015, 08:05 AM
last time i was at my dealer he charged 98 a hour

jcthorne
07-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Can Am spyder is a VERY EXPENSIVE VEHICLE to maintain... an air filter change is over $1000.00... spark plug change is $800.00 .. back tire change
$300.00.. First dealer oil change & inspection (mandatory) is $350.00 if you thinking about buying a spyder... get your wallet ready to spend lots of bucks to maintain one

osm

Your dealer is ripping you off. This is not the fault of the Spyder.

jcthorne
07-30-2015, 08:10 AM
last time i was at my dealer he charged 98 a hour

Thats $22 an hour cheaper than the Chevrolet dealer. So how is it we feel the Spyder is worse?

retread
07-30-2015, 08:12 AM
The closest dealer to me gets $75 an hour for motorcycles, that jumps to $150 an hour for Spyders, so parts and labor for an oil/filters change and an alignment will run above $300. The next closest dealer gets $80 an hour for Spyders. Sometimes it pays to check around.

john

Bob Denman
07-30-2015, 08:14 AM
:D The garage where I take my nine year-old Jeep for servicing charges $68 per hour... :D

Living in an economically-depressed area, CAN have it's advantages!

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-30-2015, 08:18 AM
I live in long island, ny everything is very expensive here, the bike is no different

Highwayman2013
07-30-2015, 08:45 AM

osm

Wow, that is an expensive air filter! I'm glad I can change my own. Seriously if you can do some of the work yourself the cost of maintaining a spyder is not that bad.

daveinva
07-30-2015, 09:15 AM

Trouble is, a lot of regions have dealer monopolies for Spyders, unless you're willing to ride significant distances for (potentially) lower prices.

Unless you're blessed with multiple Can-Am dealers in your area, you ARE at the mercy of your dealer's pricing. :banghead:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-30-2015, 10:48 AM
I have no idea what my dealer charges......haven't brought my 2014 RT in yet.....got it May of 14, ( now have 13,250 miles ) and I have done all the necessary things to maintain Warranty.......And I don't even consider myself to be a WRENCH WIZARD........Mike :thumbup:

cuznjohn
07-30-2015, 11:19 AM
it is still cheaper than my BMW was for service

ARtraveler
07-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Some costs will vary regionally and also vary by local dealer. Compared to a lot of other motorcycles--the :spyder2: seems pricy to maintain.

For me, an average oil change/filter service is $300 - $350. My last one was $148 though?????

The 998 requires more frequent oil changes than the 1330. 4600 miles vs. 9300 miles.

The 998 recommends a valve check service at 14K miles. About $800 additional. I did two on mine--14K on my 2008 and 28K on my 2010. Neither machine required any adjustments. My recommendation--let them go until your machine starts acting funny or starts making noise. I am going to wait until at least 50K on my 2011. Its your money and choice on valve checks.

The 1330 does not require scheduled valve check maintenance.

The 998 burns a little oil, the 1330 does not.
Tires are a whole different subject. There are many threads with pros, cons, OEM vs. Car Tires, etc. etc. etc. A rear will cost about $350 with installation. Fronts, less.

wyliec
07-30-2015, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=akspyderman;1014539]

The 998 recommends a valve check service at 14K miles. About $800 additional. I did two on mine--14K on my 2008 and 28K on my 2010. Neither machine required any adjustments. My recommendation--let them go until your machine starts acting funny or starts making noise. I am going to wait until at least 50K on my 2011. Its your money and choice on valve checks.

T/QUOTE]

When the valves on the spyder become quieter, that indicates the clearance is less, and they may need adjusting. My dealer/owner/former mechanic explained it to me. I only bring that up because there was a discussion on that a long time ago on SL's, and I had thought it was just the opposite.

ARtraveler
07-30-2015, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=akspyderman;1014539]

T/QUOTE]

When the valves on the spyder become quieter, that indicates the clearance is less, and they may need adjusting. My dealer/owner/former mechanic explained it to me. I only bring that up because there was a discussion on that a long time ago on SL's, and I had thought it was just the opposite.

Good point. :bowdown::bowdown:

I try to stay out of mechanics unless I know 100%. I guess I should have said if your machine starts acting different. I do remember someone saying that they could tell problems by checking with a stethoscope. What the symptoms were--I did not go back and check out.

Maybe one of the mechanical "experts" would give some clarification.

wyliec
07-30-2015, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=wyliec;1014549]

Good point. :bowdown::bowdown:

I try to stay out of mechanics unless I know 100%. I guess I should have said if your machine starts acting different. I do remember someone saying that they could tell problems by checking with a stethoscope. What the symptoms were--I did not go back and check out.

Maybe one of the mechanical "experts" would give some clarification.

This doesn't explain it; but, it is funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPn5QSNrKuw

arntufun
07-30-2015, 03:39 PM
A LITTLE TWIST ON THE TOPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What cost's the most owning a Spyder is the Spyder rallys......... For 4 days we are spending .......

476.00 -----hotel
312.00 ----- registration, rides, events
75.00----- fuel (I live real close to it)
150.00+ ---- Food not included in event
???????? ------adult beverages
???????? ----- Farkles/souvenirs
----------------------------------------------

Well over 1k dollars to just hang out and nothing to show for it when it's over ????????????............. WORTH EVERY PENNY !!!!! nojoke

wyliec
07-30-2015, 03:44 PM
A LITTLE TWIST ON THE TOPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What cost's the most owning a Spyder is the Spyder rallys......... For 4 days we are spending .......

476.00 -----hotel
312.00 ----- registration, rides, events
75.00----- fuel (I live real close to it)
150.00+ ---- Food not included in event
???????? ------adult beverages
???????? ----- Farkles/souvenirs
----------------------------------------------

Well over 1k dollars to just hang out and nothing to show for it when it's over ????????????............. WORTH EVERY PENNY !!!!! nojoke

It's no different than going on a vacation, which is what it will be for some.

ARtraveler
07-30-2015, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=akspyderman;1014554]

This doesn't explain it; but, it is funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPn5QSNrKuw

Great pick from the old archives. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

900Dave
07-30-2015, 07:58 PM

osm

You need to find a new dealer. You have been ripped off! Air filter should be about 1/2 hour labor + the filter. I just had my plugs replaced last week, $64.00, $15.00 per plug and the rest was labor.

First service is about right on, but the rest:yikes:

Correction, just looked at my receipt, $30 for plugs and $30 for labor. It was noted as 34 minutes of labor for plugs on the 998.

Dubliner
07-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Using a stethoscope is overkill, it is easier to just use a screw driver against the offending area and jam your ear against it. I serviced hospital equipment many years ago and had and still have a few instruments at my disposal that are ideal for service work :) scalpels, forceps, clamps, to name a few ideal for making your own gaskets or a third hand on occasion! I've had my hands in the guts of many an engine so that don't scare me. A few years ago I needed a set of tires for my Wing, I was quoted $ 350 for the rear tire plus $280 to pull the Tupperware and another &80 to fit new brake pads. I got the tire for a $170 elsewhere and they fitted the tire to the loose wheel for $35. the pads cost less than $25..
I know these guys have mouths to feed but their prices do not reflect the service they give often they do not actually have the experience to perform the job efficiently so your Spyder is a guinea pig to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange Spyder Man
07-31-2015, 10:56 AM

yes it is the fault of the spyder's design.. .. one has to remove all the body panels to get to the oil filter, the air filter.. spark plugs.. check how many hours BRP's service manual states to take off these panels.. how much an hour your dealer charges per hour.. it just might surprise you..
I thought when I owned my Harley Ultra I would not ever find anyone that charges more to work on & more for parts than Harley Davidson. well, I was wrong ... parts & service on a spyder is much more expensive than Harley...

osm

Bfromla
07-31-2015, 07:55 PM
all bikes are expensive to have work done on them so i have to agree with bob. if you like to work on your bike and do oil changes and tires yourself it is just maintenance, but when it comes to motor or transmission work done by dealers that charge 90 t0 1oo bucks per hr. it is going to add up

Periodic maintaince helps save money in long run one any vehicle,tool, toy, house! Its more a question as to (are you going to do it?!, ignore it & pay for the extra damage... Some thing are out of stock extended timelines so still best to not wait last min then try, plan you budget ties & 2oil changes a year @least. If you dont reach milage or "NEED" :) yea more power to ya & wiggle room for next year. Is how classic cars get to last better than anything on road now. Doing work yourself is cheaper if you got time & tools (g'luck there) knowing what else to check for (tech skills) is good to have followed by proper tech & worth the $$$ if u want the vehicle to last. U want a disposable toy then ,whatever guess we will hear when you make the obituary section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyliec
07-31-2015, 08:02 PM
yes it is the fault of the spyder's design.. .. one has to remove all the body panels to get to the oil filter, the air filter.. spark plugs.. check how many hours BRP's service manual states to take off these panels.. how much an hour your dealer charges per hour.. it just might surprise you..
I thought when I owned my Harley Ultra I would not ever find anyone that charges more to work on & more for parts than Harley Davidson. well, I was wrong ... parts & service on a spyder is much more expensive than Harley...

osm

So, a dealer charging less than $100 vs a dealer charging $800 for a spark plug change has nothing to do with a dealer's excessive charge, and more to do with the spyder design? If you say so.