PDA

View Full Version : Zumo 550 owners...need help with SD

bone crusher
01-04-2009, 01:00 AM
I have the zumo 550...finally getting around to the music side of things...

I bought a 4gb SDHC, which is compatible with the zumo (hope it is with my imac)...

Anyway, what's the secret with getting songs on this thing? Also, can you create folders such as 'fast music' and 'slow music'? Or, does it just read all the songs on there and you can't break the music up?

Does the imac read the sdhc, BTW?

Thanks all...

wtwing15
01-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Hi you have to ether download or have your music converted to mp3,then us windows media player or iTunes to copy to the sd card and use headphones or speakers to hear the music.( we use a j&M CB radio)
You can only save music into one(1) folder the zuma will only read from one(1 ) folder.
Hope this helps:thumbup:

sleepman
01-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Everything has to be in mp3 format so if you're using Itunes just make an Itunes cd and then copy the songs back to your computer converting them to MP3. Then you can just copy them directly to the SD card, this allows you to select your music by genre or artists. Making a playlist can be a little harder. I use Winamp to make a playlist then I go back into the playlist and delete the song location, then copy the playlist to the SD card.

Bersquack
01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the zumo does not read SDHC cards and just used the regular SD. Either that or it does not benefit from the increased reading speed offred by the SDHC ones. I can't remember where I read that sorry.

I would create one folder called music. If you want "fast" and "slow" music I would create to separate playlists in a M3U format using Windows media player (I can't remember what the iTunes format is).

Anyway, check you owner's manual on page 38. I downloaded one from the internet to give you a reference.

Hope this helps.

dltang
01-04-2009, 09:42 AM
We are Mac users as well, I have my music on and SD card and it is read thru my GPS for my spyder. Like sleepman said you can copy you itunes music which is currently mp4 on to a CD and then put it back on itunes as mp3. You have to pick that choice when loading it. If you have a lot of music and that will take a lot CD there is one other choice and this is what I did. You can download a virtual burner. Some are free or low cost and some are easier to understand how to use than others. I can not remember which one I used as I have since dropped my computer and had to have it repaired and had my hard drive erased. Anyway, with the virtual burner you can drag all your itunes that you want converted to mp3 right to this burner and it will burn everything for you into mp3 format. Once you have your mp3 formated song list, you can drag them from the virtual burner list right to your sd card. You will need to have a SD reader to plug into your USB port on your Mac. It will show up as another drive. Just drag the newly formatted mp3 songs onto this drive and it will copy all of them on to your SD card. It is really pretty easy.

bone crusher
01-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Okay....we're getting somewhere...I stopped trying to make separate folders...so, now I just have a blank 4gb SDHC card...

I have burned literally hundreds of CDs into my itunes...problem is, doesn't it make it a mp4??

Is there a function on itunes to convert to mp3? I know if I download from itunes it's 'copyrighted' and I cannot likely convert....however, the music I burn in shouldn't be...there should be a way to convert to mp3 (all I see is AAC)...Then I can just stick the songs on the desktop and drag onto the SDHC?

Also, I checked and the zumo DOES read SDHC cards...

Thanks all...

NancysToy
01-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Okay....we're getting somewhere...I stopped trying to make separate folders...so, now I just have a blank 4gb SDHC card...

I have burned literally hundreds of CDs into my itunes...problem is, doesn't it make it a mp4??

Is there a function on itunes to convert to mp3? I know if I download from itunes it's 'copyrighted' and I cannot likely convert....however, the music I burn in shouldn't be...there should be a way to convert to mp3 (all I see is AAC)...Then I can just stick the songs on the desktop and drag onto the SDHC?

Also, I checked and the zumo DOES read SDHC cards...

Thanks all...
iTunes imports music as AAC files by default. You can change the settings to import as mp3, but it will still do you no good. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, changes the titles to their own generic four letter code, and creates a number of different folders for the songs. Easiest thing I have found, if you want both formats, and are importing from CDs, is to import to the computer from the CD with Windows Media Player, or an equivalent, as mp3 files. Then import the songs from the computer mp3 files to iTunes, if you wish. ITunes will convert them, but the original mp3s remain on your hard drive in whatever folder you imported from. Those you can copy directly to CD, SD card, or another computer or device.
-Scotty

bone crusher
01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Doesn't matter now, my zumo 550 is dead...did update and bluetooth firmware update...tried linking with iphone and it went a little whacky...

Now the zumo 550 is dead...dead...dead...won't turn on no matter what I do...

What a POS...

Someone else was writing about the 450 dying 2 times...I'm starting to wonder if zumo makes a good product...I've had this since August...this shouldn't happen...

I cannot believe that WITH the bluetooth firmware update my iphone didn't work correctly...

What to do now?

sleepman
01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Doesn't matter now, my zumo 550 is dead...did update and bluetooth firmware update...tried linking with iphone and it went a little whacky...

Now the zumo 550 is dead...dead...dead...won't turn on no matter what I do...

What a POS...

Someone else was writing about the 450 dying 2 times...I'm starting to wonder if zumo makes a good product...I've had this since August...this shouldn't happen...

Their updates SUCK! I cannot believe that WITH the bluetooth firmware update my iphone didn't work correctly...

What to do now?

Start by taking the battery out and then reinserting it, the 1 time I had this problem that's what I did and it has worked fine ever since. As for the bluetooth firmware I won't update that. The newer bluetooth firmware has wreaked havoc with the newer cell phones. I went back to the original firmware and the Zumo now works great with my Treo 700w. Do a google search for zumo forums and head to that website. You can get a lot of good Zumo info and help.

bone crusher
01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
So,

There is a way to go backward with the bluetooth firmware?

bone crusher
01-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Okay, did the battery thing and now it works again.

I still have the problem with the bluetooth firmware update...does anyone know how to get the older bluetooth firmware on the zumo or did something go wrong with installation and I should try again? I didn't disable the linked devices before the update but I figured the update would reset everything anyway.

Again, it will make and receive calls, but it's not going by the address book on the iphone, like it used to...when the wife calls, instead of having her name, it picks some random name from the address book...never used to do that before the bluetooth firmware update...

Strange...

sleepman
01-05-2009, 05:10 AM
Okay, did the battery thing and now it works again.

I still have the problem with the bluetooth firmware update...does anyone know how to get the older bluetooth firmware on the zumo or did something go wrong with installation and I should try again? I didn't disable the linked devices before the update but I figured the update would reset everything anyway.

Again, it will make and receive calls, but it's not going by the address book on the iphone, like it used to...when the wife calls, instead of having her name, it picks some random name from the address book...never used to do that before the bluetooth firmware update...

Strange...

If you go to the Zumo forums you can find links and instructions on where to download the old firmware bluetooth versions and how to reinstall them. I've had the same problem with the contact names from time to time. Kinda funny cause the first time it happened to me the guy it said was calling me I was riding with. So I started checking my mirrors to see if he'd dropped out of our group. I thought maybe he'd broken down.

bone crusher
01-05-2009, 11:43 PM
All I have to say is that Garmin tech support is second to none...they sent me files...with instructions on how to put in older bluetooth firmware...now all is working fine.

When you call, you get a person...amazing...

I recommend Garmin to everyone...they rock!

:2thumbs:

Spanky
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
.......When you call, you get a person...amazing...

I recommend Garmin to everyone...they rock!

:2thumbs:

:agree:

Also the person you get seems to not be an English as a second language person.

Way easier to communicate problems when there are no accents or language barriers to overcome.