PDA

View Full Version : Tell me some secrets, tell me your lies :)

Dubliner
07-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Nearly every picture of Spyder's I see are of impeccable machines, rarely undressed and with barely a spatter on them, what's the secret? How does the rear wheel perform with the top of the fender missing in the rain, does everyone get drenched or just the passenger or is there something I'm missing?
How about the front wheels, do they throw up a swirling mass of water and do those leg shields on either side of the engine really protect you from the spray? Most of the places I have lived in water has been a common theme, rain water that is with the occasional stiff one with lumpy bits thrown in for good measure. So I'm wondering will I be saturated in Seattle or drenched in Duncan or do the various fairings cut a swath through that wall of swirling debris?

Can a simple carrier be fitted to the back of the frame to mount an alternative case and backrest or does it have to be a "web" item?

More to follow...

Chupaca
07-29-2015, 01:00 AM
Depends on which model your referring to. These machines work very well in the rain. The missing fender piece is not needed, the air dams work for both air and water and the front fenders have guards on them so little splash there. The RT's have much more around them, if you have seen them. Keeping them clean is a snap. There are a lot of them running around Washington and doing well. Test ryde one on a rainy day, some dealers will let you cause they know you can't fall over..:roflblack::roflblack:

Bfromla
07-29-2015, 04:34 AM
Lots of rain & I do fine fyi. No passenger to care works better & quiter for me '13STLhttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112459&stc=1 my non web bag mount. I looked @topcase but too pricy for my needs & didnt offer to match key or color BIG FAIL :barf: BRP! Simple bag I can lock & wash if need be. Allows few extras to stow & or help carry (farkle)swag @ events. & I can keep my cooler in frunk with power. Real handy fyi is rivico bag they only offer @ events:thumbup:

PistonBlown
07-29-2015, 05:34 AM
It's winter down here at the moment, I'm still riding come rain or shine and believe me my Spyder is filthy:-)

I know what you mean though, I PM'd some photo's to someone the other day and automatically apologized for the dirt as you seldom see it on Spyders in this forum.

The RS is surprisingly good at keeping the rain off you when you're riding. Often I don't bother stopping to put my water proofs if it's not too heavy.

So just to prove they can look messy here's a photo from one of the checkpoints on the TT2000:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112464&stc=1

Bob Denman
07-29-2015, 07:15 AM
Keeping them clean??? :shocked:

A dirty Spyder; is a RIDDEN Spyder!! :2thumbs:

You'll want to get yourself some good quality raingear. The bikes will do a pretty decent job of shoveling the rain around you, but it never hurts to be prepared... ;)
(I like my TourMaster one-piece suit!)

asp125
07-30-2015, 09:30 PM
I thought only Harley guys were the ones polishing and detailing their rides in the driveway while the rest of us rode. :roflblack:

ARtraveler
07-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Here, we refer to it as the Alaska grunge. I washed my :spyder2: once at the start of the season. Have done spray bottle (water with a dryer sheet in it) and wipe touch up every once in awhile. My back pain does not allow me more than about 5 minutes of clean up at a time. I have put on a little over 10K miles so far this season. I would rather ride than clean.

cptjam
07-30-2015, 11:12 PM
Keeping it clean is a part of maintenance and helps you spot problems early. With practice, a simple wash and dry is 10-15 minutes. Many folks wipe them off after each ride, and it gets easier with practice. Some folks take them apart and clean inside and out.
Fenders work great, and because of three wheels, rain is not a big deal.

Dubliner
08-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Thanks, it looks pretty good considering 😀
QUOTE=PistonBlown;1013545]It's winter down here at the moment, I'm still riding come rain or shine and believe me l

my Spyder is filthy:-)

I know what you mean though, I PM'd some photo's to someone the other day and automatically apologized for the dirt as you seldom see it on Spyders in this forum.

The RS is surprisingly good at keeping the rain off you when you're riding. Often I don't bother stopping to put my water proofs if it's not too heavy.

So just to prove they can look messy here's a photo from one of the checkpoints on the TT2000:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112464&stc=1[/QUOTE]

SPYD3R
08-02-2015, 06:57 PM
WE KEEP'm SPOTLESS, BECAUSE WE ARE PROUD OF OUR TOYZ....... :roflblack:

during our X-Country ride this past month, i had so many 'smoshed' bugs on my windscreen, that when i stopped for a traffic light, flys would land and start eating the dead bugs..... YUK.....
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112847&stc=1
DAN P
EASLEY, SC
SPYD3R F3-S