PDA

View Full Version : Need a replacement radio antenna.

markyodo
07-28-2015, 06:04 AM
As the title says I need a replacement radio antenna. Mine broke off at the base. :gaah:
Before I go shopping I wanted to get some input on what has worked best for others.
Thanks.

jtoro1
07-28-2015, 06:21 AM
As the title says I need a replacement radio antenna. Mine broke off at the base. :gaah:
Before I go shopping I wanted to get some input on what has worked best for others.
Thanks.

The shorty rubber ducky works good from Wal-Mart $9 I have it

viperryder
07-28-2015, 07:04 AM
My was broken at a hotel while traveling. Bought a new one but was able to fix the old one. Unscrew the brass end from the base. Drill out the fiberglass piece and then very carefully cut the end off the broken antenna and replace back in the brass piece with epoxy. Works great.:yes::yes:

Bob Denman
07-28-2015, 08:02 AM
I tired a "Shortee" from Custom Dynamics...
I found that I lost a lot of reception, but I live here in the Catskill Mountains; reception is ALWAYS an issue. :shocked:

bodymanpainter
07-28-2015, 09:03 AM
My was broken at a hotel while traveling. Bought a new one but was able to fix the old one. Unscrew the brass end from the base. Drill out the fiberglass piece and then very carefully cut the end off the broken antenna and replace back in the brass piece with epoxy. Works great.:yes::yes:

I did the same thing twice! It works great and a lot cheaper too.
Toby

finless
07-28-2015, 09:08 AM
I tired a "Shortee" from Custom Dynamics...
I found that I lost a lot of reception, but I live here in the Catskill Mountains; reception is ALWAYS an issue. :shocked:

It also rusts out pretty easy! Walmart one is better.

Bob

markyodo
07-28-2015, 05:02 PM
The shorty rubber ducky works good from Wal-Mart $9 I have it uh

Will the BRP antenna boot fit over this antenna? and I threw the old one away, I didn't realize it could be repaired. Live and learn. :sour:

ARtraveler
07-28-2015, 05:04 PM
The shorty rubber ducky works good from Wal-Mart $9 I have it uh

:agree: x 2

ARtraveler
07-28-2015, 05:06 PM
It also rusts out pretty easy! Walmart one is better.

Bob

:agree: x 2. There was a thread about the CD a couple years back.

markyodo
07-28-2015, 05:14 PM
A most excellent video. I don't know if he is forum member, but thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuKpyQ2-rdk

wiredgeorge
07-29-2015, 08:22 AM
Major truck stops on the interstate have a huge variety of antennas.

happyspyder2039
07-29-2015, 07:48 PM
My was broken at a hotel while traveling. Bought a new one but was able to fix the old one. Unscrew the brass end from the base. Drill out the fiberglass piece and then very carefully cut the end off the broken antenna and replace back in the brass piece with epoxy. Works great.:yes::yes::agree:i did the same thing. Tried the Wally-world shorty with no luck. Reception stunk & got caught in trunk lid.

Mazo EMS2
07-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Another vote for the short rubber on from Wally World. Comes with several adapters to make sure you have the right connection. I drilled the hole out a bit in the rubber boot, but still has a nice snug, waterproof fit. $10, and a half hr of your time. Plus it's much easier to put a cover on with the rubber shorty

thunor
08-17-2015, 02:38 PM
It took all of 15 days of owning my RTS to have someone break off my antenna. Had already read
this thread and planned on swapping the OEM out with the Shorty because of the cover on the bike
but it seems I have escalated that replacement. I saw some posts about a replacement being under
warranty. With the breaking of mine the boot is also gone...hoping I can get Service to just replace
the boot after I put the shorty on. Not really bothered about signal strength for FM as I use my Playlist
more than anything...just bothered to have a bike this short an amount of time and see something
broken on it.

Bob Denman
08-17-2015, 05:17 PM
A most excellent video. I don't know if he is forum member, but thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuKpyQ2-rdk

Thanks for this video! :clap: :thumbup:
I think that this fellow just posted a video in here about the wrap that he put on his bike. It was probably within the last Month...

HayRog
11-24-2015, 06:13 PM
:agree: x 2

On the shorty rubber one from Walmart .. x 3. And no need to enlarge the hole in the rubber boot. A dab of washing up liquid and you're good.

RTL1330
11-28-2015, 06:21 PM
I took my long whip off almost when new and put on the short rubber duck from Walmart / Canadian tire. Same one and still get good reception her in coastal mountains.
i put my new long whip in my cane rack in case I want it later.

Tiny2
12-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Thanks.
i know this is late. Sorry,

Like many others here I broke my antenna within a week of getting my bike. I unscrewed and removed the brass stub. I drilled out the center carefully and then took an old wire coat hanger, cut off the hook and straighten it out. Next I took a small dowel rod and wrapped the wire from about the middle of the hanger around the rod about five turns. Next I cleaned both the brass end and one of the hanger ends with an abrasive. Use plenty of flux and solder the hanger into the brass end. Let it cool. I took the top of the old antenna and glued it on to the top of my new antenna. Looks just like the shorty offered by Custom Dynamics. Works great!

metman
12-09-2015, 10:12 PM
This too may be too late, but I replaced my OEM antenna with a hidden unit off eBay.

So I've got the antenna and the boot for sale if anyone needs one.

PM me and make an offer if interested.

Mike in KY

PatriotRider
12-09-2015, 11:32 PM
because of the report in another thread that an antenna for a 2014 Toyota Prius gets just as good reception as stock and is not as flimsy or flexible as the Walmart, I'm going with that one. Want a short antenna cause I cover and uncover my machine every day.

$39.50 new from Amazon
I bought a refurb/open box for $30

admittedly, part of my decision is how much I hate dealing with WalMart

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GKMWBJK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

latony007
12-12-2015, 01:30 AM
I live in an area that does not get great reception as it is so i want to replace with something premium that will actually improve the reception. The wal mart seems about the same as stock just shorter? i have a 15 and no problems with the length of the stock one now, just that is sucks. my car which has no vertical antenna gets better reception.

as a side not how hard is it to get to and replace the front speakers on an RT?

kbwitt
12-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Thanks for this video! :clap: :thumbup:
I think that this fellow just posted a video in here about the wrap that he put on his bike. It was probably within the last Month...
terrible video took to long heing and haing . get to the point I do not like long dragged out videos

finless
12-12-2015, 10:47 AM
terrible video took to long heing and haing . get to the point I do not like long dragged out videos

Boy I tell you... Tough crowd!

You should be grateful someone did a video showing how to do it rather than complain about how well they did the video! :banghead:

The gall of some people to complain of something they got for free that can help you. :lecturef_smilie:

Maybe you should do your own video and lets see how well you do!

Bob

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I live in an area that does not get great reception as it is so i want to replace with something premium that will actually improve the reception. The wal mart seems about the same as stock just shorter? i have a 15 and no problems with the length of the stock one now, just that is sucks. my car which has no vertical antenna gets better reception.

as a side not how hard is it to get to and replace the front speakers on an RT?
If you have a " DEEP " 7mm socket...slide it down the antennae, put vise grips on it and remove it.....clean the threads of the excessive " thread locker ", then put only one drop at the very top of the threads and screw it back in......this may improve your reception......On the speaker thing, I re-placed mine with JBL 2-ohm model's, and actually got 5 1/4 in. into the rear to re-place the smaller OEM's........I paid about $ 125.00 for all four....Bob finless did a video on the front ones ( very nice Bob ) and " beadaholic "posted some for the rear........I would honestly say My stereo can play 50% louder with 100 % better quality than the OEM speakers...........Mike :thumbup:

chickenvet
03-14-2017, 09:29 PM

Sounds good but what did you do about the wire in the antennae. If you cut off the end/drill out the fiberglass don't you disconnect wiring for the antennae?

Lobo
03-20-2017, 07:14 PM
I installed the same antenna from Walmart as the video demo shows. It took me maybe 15 minutes. Once the threaded pieces were together and installed, I pushed the boot over the end of the antenna (no drilling or cutting needed-it is rubber) and left just enough room to screw the antenna in place. Then it was pushing the boot the rest of the way down and inserting in place. A small flathead screwdriver, used carefully, helped get it in place. Wish my other projects went so smooth. It had great reception in the garage. On the road?? Time will tell.