PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Base model RT

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 04:34 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about the base model 2010 RT?
I have seen one on line with about 30,000 miles on it, very clean and well maintained. Is being flogged by a dealer!

It has the standard transmission, new tires. Unfortunately it is on the east coast and I am on the we't one so a long ryde home.. so what I want to know is is it worth it or should I save my pennies and get a newer more spendy flavour in a year or three?
What are they like for handling, riding and fuel economy? What would be included in the package, radio stuff like that? I'm used to driving a sidecar so push and pull is normal for me :shocked:

Thanks Colm

Don in E Texas
07-27-2015, 06:39 AM
...read this post to get up to speed on Spyders:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Have you even taken a test ride on a Spyder?

You can visit the Can Am web site and read the spec's on each model - what comes with it, etc.

Me? I'd hunt closer to home.

Just my view.

Don

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 06:44 AM
The first year of the RT... ;)
I remember mine fondly; it lit the fires! :thumbup:
But it was NOT a machine without some interesting "issues" :shocked:
2 Throttle bodies
A throttle position sensor
A Center windshield strut
A brakelight switch that fell apart.

Plus I felt a definite need to firm-up the front suspension...

You should shop carefully, and find out exactly what has been done to the bike, before signing anything.
Good Luck!

wiredgeorge
07-27-2015, 07:53 AM
I currently own a 2010 Spyder RT (base model). It has no radio/audio and the rear suspension air pressure must be done manually using the schrader valve under the seat. It does have cruise control, heated driver (only) grips. I haven't experienced ANY mechanical issues that have been mentioned. The main shortfall of the 2010 was handling. I have added a BajaRon swaybar and Elka performance front shocks and am careful to keep rear air pressure at 65 PSI. The main driver comfort issue I have experienced is lack of floorboards which are standard on the high-end RT models. I have added full Seal Boards which are superior to the factory offering on the higher end RTs (IMHO). The main shortcomings I need to overcome at this point are visibility related; not much light from the side or rear in particular. The handling problems were pretty much the same for later V-twin RTs and these issues will need to be corrected, in my opinion, if you own a 2011-2013. Can't speak to 2014/2015 models. I purchased my RT with 2500 miles on the clock earlier this year for $12.5K out the door making the unit cost under $12K (TX sales tax plus title/license fees INCLUDED in the $12.5). I may eventually buy a Can-Am radio kit which includes front speakers (about $600). I will be keeping my RT for awhile as it is paid for and I have no desire to take on the $15-20K additional cost of a new one.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2015, 09:13 AM
I have seen one on line with about 30,000 miles on it, very clean and well maintained. Is being flogged by a dealer!

It has the standard transmission, new tires. Unfortunately it is on the east coast and I am on the we't one so a long ryde home.. so what I want to know is is it worth it or should I save my pennies and get a newer more spendy flavour in a year or three?
What are they like for handling, riding and fuel economy? What would be included in the package, radio stuff like that? I'm used to driving a sidecar so push and pull is normal for me :shocked:

Thanks Colm

Personally I wouldn't buy it at any price........it's too expensive to maintain + other issues ........What do they want for it ?????........Mike :thumbup:

Oldmanzues
07-27-2015, 09:34 AM
I have a 2010 base, most of the above is the same, all though I am going thru a over heat problem right now. I like the Spyer very much, however I would look closer to home. I would not be on favor of starting out a 3 thousand mile journey on a used machine of any sort, plus paying for a ticket to get there and shipping it would be very high cost.
Oldmanzues

Chupaca
07-27-2015, 09:46 AM
good deals abound ( unless they are giving it away) at the moment and will get better as the new line up is announced next week and the ryding season come to an end. If you are thinking of buying it on the east coast and ryding home....it's a leap. You would probably have no problem being well taken care of and all recalls and updates done. If you do, get the vin# and check that it is up to date with all bulletins and updates. You can do this at brp or a local dealer...happy hunting and see you spyder ryding soon...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Perhaps I should have mentioned this earlier... :opps:
If you're looking to buy a bike sight unseen, and from across the Country...

...That price had better be about six steps beyond awesome! nojoke
Are there any dealers within a reasonable riding distance of you? They may have used machines that would be price competitive; once you figure in the cost of your trip to get this one...

JerryKaren
07-27-2015, 10:22 AM

Thanks Colm

I have a 2010 RT manual transmission and I paid $19,600 from a dealer. I added the radio. I always ride two up with my wife and have always have gotten 34 mpg. Make sure the throttle body has been replace as this was a major issue with that year, that can run you $800.00. Never had any other issues and still runs great. Rear tire seem to last between 9,000 and 10,000 miles. My wife also drives it and we both really enjoy riding.

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Well gentlemen, thank you for all your candid remarks! They are asking $12,500 Canadian loonies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Bob D, It's very difficult to get information after a trade in mainly because the op has left the building! Certainly the service records would give a certain view of which mods had been performed and if the service intervals had been observed. Recalls and the like would also be preserved of course, but I do not know if these remain on the bikes computer or in the cloud (with the silver lining) at BRP. I tend to do my own wrenching as it can be a money saver but having a mentor or a woman near by to give criticism (I get that free of charge from the later by the way) can be a bonus, pointing the way to go without my having to grovel away in the dark trying to intercept cryptic messages from the Internet...

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 11:48 AM
I understand...:thumbup:
If you have the bike's V.I.N., you can have a dealer punch that into their computer, and it'll pull up all of the times that it's been input to the system...

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 11:49 AM
BlueKnight911 "what do you mean by being too expensive to maintain?" Is the model a pariah?

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Don E from ET,
Thank you for the read, I have been there but it is worthwhile doing a refresher :) I'll have to look more deeply into the bowels of BRP's website to glean more info on the various models, the more recent are most prominent obviously

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Mike just has no faith in the 998 engines anymore...
During the first couple of years; the RTs had the aforementioned throttle body issues...
That's the Biggie! :shocked:
But the more frequent oil changes for the 998s, coupled with periodic valve adjustments Do make the maintenance something that shouldn't be ignored...
Here's a comparison of the 998s, versus the 1330s, as far as maintenance is concerned.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112364&stc=1

SpyderAnn01
07-27-2015, 12:01 PM
I'd say that that is way too much for a 5 year old Spyder, even in Loonies. I had a 2010 RTS with a manual transmission and I didn't have many issues with it in 59,000 miles. Aren't there quite a few Spyders in British Columbia? Check out the dealer in Ladysmith maybe they can find a good deal for you.

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Chupaca, sage advice indeed, however even in the frozen North we have fewer models to compare closer to home! My nearest dealer is about 80 miles away so just a half days ride (return) on my worn out Wing. Curiously while comparing the majority of the flavours on the web here from coast to coast most of the secondhand models are for sale between Alberta and Montreal and Quebec and not a huge amount out west young man! Another item, the cost difference between the SE and the manual can be high and few and far between and the ST models are almost as rare as rocking horse manure! So it looks like all the good ones are sold south of the border or have been siphoned off...

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 12:22 PM
SpyderAnn01,
I have only seen one Yellow Spyder in BC and he/she was going the other way :( I was in Vancouver a few weeks ago nary a one to be seen. So in the last 5000km of riding I have only seen one on the road, so where are they? Maybe due to our road speeds riding one will be in just the first two gears around the city and maybe into third on the highway?
I did visit Ladysmith last year and he had a lot of new ones. His co conspirator has an 2011 RS-S with 4003km on it for $12k and it seems to be the best deal out here!
Maybe I should wait until the new year deals are out there again in a few months?

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Bob D. Those charts look very alike or am I missing something?

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 12:40 PM
For some reason; when you attach a picture in a post, the thumbnail of it shows up underneath... :dontknow:

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 12:51 PM
JerryKaren,
Thank you for being the light in the forest. First hand knowledge is always welcome especially when it comes from a frequent flyer. I know that when you buy a newer model all the older foibles come to the surface and all that experience unravels with the new machine and all its finery that makes you stamp your foot and spit.

I have had lemons in the past and don't want to revisit that stand again, so I am looking at my options. Considering the amount of Spyders out there, the prices remain high but they do seem difficult to sell unless you cut your losses to the quick.

As regards, buying a bike and riding it across country, I have done it before in Europe. Maybe I have been lucky, my wife says I have an angel on my shoulder. I have owned and ridden over forty different secondhand machines across a million miles plus not without trepidation or problems mind but I am weary of tedium and wary of the huge price drop from buying new and loosing a bundle after the new car smell wears off :) So I am looking for a decent reliable machine to ride blissfully into the sunset on with my lady friend safely cosseted on the back. She tends to fall asleep as the miles roll on and on the last trip slept through three fuel ups riding to Cali.

Dubliner
07-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Wiredgeorge,
Thank you for your honesty and it looks like you got a good deal there! 65 psi seems a lot in the back shock, it must give you a harsh ride, I've never had floorboards so I don't really know much about riding with them but I am hoping for a saddle that is more comfortable than my past experiences have been! The boards probably allow you to move your feet around more so comfort is better all round?

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 01:20 PM
I used to also use 65 psi for mine, when riding double... :thumbup:
NEVER run one with zero air pressures... :shocked:

ARtraveler
07-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Well gentlemen, thank you for all your candid remarks! They are asking $12,500 Canadian loonies!

Based on current exchange rate (about 75% of US), the price is $9,375 which is about right. I got $14,500 in trade on my 2010 RTS (premier edition), the one with all the bells and whistles, a year and a half ago. It had 36,500 miles on it.

I had few issues or problems with mine. DPS, cruise control switch, and the connection to the transmission shift linkage came loose one time. I liked that one a lot.

Since you are new to this, buying that old and from way across country is probably not a good idea. I would recommend looking newer and closer to home.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Mike just has no faith in the 998 engines anymore...
During the first couple of years; the RTs had the aforementioned throttle body issues...
That's the Biggie! :shocked:
But the more frequent oil changes for the 998s, coupled with periodic valve adjustments Do make the maintenance something that shouldn't be ignored...
Here's a comparison of the 998s, versus the 1330s, as far as maintenance is concerned.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112364&stc=1
:gaah:....As usual Bob you have it WRONG AGAIN ......Don't tell people HOW I feel or WHAT I think about anything because you don't have a CLUE.........What I think is ....the " 998 " is in the wrong PLATFORM.. It is not a " TOURING " MOTOR ...it belongs in a " crotch rocket " type motorcycle....and that's what I think...................stick with recommending " ICE CREAM FLAVORS "........:banghead::banghead::banghead:........Mike

JKMSPYDER
07-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Mike I'm not sure what you mean by saying the 998 is not a touring motor, but I just returned from the three wheel trike rally in Deadwood, SD after having ridden 4032 miles. My ST-S did great with the 998. Many Spyders before the '14 RT have "toured" thousands of miles with no problems. High revving 998? Yes. Compare it to a crotch rocket? Not in the Spyder platform IMO.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Mike I'm not sure what you mean by saying the 998 is not a touring motor, but I just returned from the three wheel trike rally in Deadwood, SD after having ridden 4032 miles. My ST-S did great with the 998. Many Spyders before the '14 RT have "toured" thousands of miles with no problems. High revving 998? Yes. Compare it to a crotch rocket? Not in the Spyder platform IMO.

OK I'll bite :roflblack:....If the 998 is a " touring " motor, then why did BRP spend millions of $ designing and bringing the 1330 to market and replacing the " 998 touring motor " in the RT..........just asking your opinion on this .....Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Have to agree with BlueKnight that the 998 is not really a touring motor. It is a great engine for the RS and RSS platform. Very quick and peppy with crotch rocket power. I had two of those, (2008 and 2009).

My first complaint when I got a premier edition RT in 2010 was that it seemed a bit underpowered unless you wound it out (5500 shifting points, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I toured 36,500 miles on the 2010 and we now have 21,000 miles on the 2011. Both 998's. So I think I can say been there and done that. :roflblack:

One of my earlier suggestions (late 2010 or so) was a bigger engine for the RT so it would be quieter, more torque, and would probably get better gas mileage. I bought one more 998 (the 2011) in 2012 for akspyderlady.

At that point I was pretty much done. Then, BRP came out with the 1330 three cylinder. Yep! I had to get me one of those. A little over a year later, going on 18,000 miles and I am pretty happy. Got the quieter, more torque, and almost 10 mpg improvement in gas mileage. Less required maintenance too.

Now, what in the heck are they going to be announcing for 2016?? :bbq::bbq::bbq:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Have to agree with BlueKnight that the 998 is not really a touring motor. It is a great engine for the RS and RSS platform. Very quick and peppy with crotch rocket power. I had two of those, (2008 and 2009).

My first complaint when I got a premier edition RT in 2010 was that it seemed a bit underpowered unless you wound it out (5500 shifting points, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I toured 36,500 miles on the 2010 and we now have 21,000 miles on the 2011. Both 998's. So I think I can say been there and done that. :roflblack:

One of my earlier suggestions (late 2010 or so) was a bigger engine for the RT so it would be quieter, more torque, and would probably get better gas mileage. I bought one more 998 (the 2011) in 2012 for akspyderlady.

At that point I was pretty much done. Then, BRP came out with the 1330 three cylinder. Yep! I had to get me one of those. A little over a year later, going on 18,000 miles and I am pretty happy. Got the quieter, more torque, and almost 10 mpg improvement in gas mileage. Less required maintenance too.

Now, what in the heck are they going to be announcing for 2016?? :bbq::bbq::bbq:
Thanks AK, you got my intended meaning. I was not putting down the " 998 ", I have said in past post's it's a great motor. But not a " touring " motor. The 1800 Gold Wing motor is an incredible motor, .....if it was put in a Motocrosser would it still an incredible motor....YES, but the bike would S*CK........jmho.......Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-28-2015, 06:56 AM
Ask Spyderjockey about his 998-equipped GS...

...That has over 111,000 miles on it! :bowdown:

:D Not a touring motor? :dontknow:

wiredgeorge
07-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Wiredgeorge,
Thank you for your honesty and it looks like you got a good deal there! 65 psi seems a lot in the back shock, it must give you a harsh ride, I've never had floorboards so I don't really know much about riding with them but I am hoping for a saddle that is more comfortable than my past experiences have been! The boards probably allow you to move your feet around more so comfort is better all round?

65 PSI is not harsh... it is firm. I just got finished last evening installing new and heavier springs on my Elka shocks and the difference is marked. The Spyder now turns flat. I am pretty confident that my Spyder now handles in the top tier of Spyders. Even if you buy a top of the line machine, the same modifications will need to be done. The stock seat is also fine. I test drove a 2012 RT with a very expensive Corbin and it didn't have the thigh support and I slid around on it. The bike also handled poorly as mine did when I first got it. Last handling step is to get the chassis laser aligned.

Be aware that some of the comments you hear come from folks who love drama. The folks like SpyderAnn who had 59K miles on her 2010 seldom post constantly but after a bit I have begun to note that when they say something, I take heed. This is my first Spyder so my opinion is not based on long experience but I have owned over 50 bikes in the past and have owned virtually every touring bike made in the 20th and 21st century hehe (I am old). Except for a BMW... never owned one.

Bob Denman
07-28-2015, 08:40 AM
:crackpipe:
Mating it up to the six-speed and new clutch engagement system might be problematic...
Read my post again... I never said that everyone loved the power delivery of the 998.
If you've been here as long as you've said in the past (five years...); you MUST remember when there were folks looking into oversized front sprockets...