PDA

View Full Version : RT Elka Rear Shock for 2011

gazunni
07-26-2015, 08:17 PM
How many have installed an Elka stage 3 or 4 on the rear of a 2010/11/12 RTS with air ride.

Did you find a significant difference.

We ride two up often with a trailer and need at it setup for 600 pounds?

Is is there a better way, or is an Elka the best option?

wiredgeorge
07-27-2015, 08:29 AM
How many have installed an Elka stage 3 or 4 on the rear of a 2010/11/12 RTS with air ride.

Did you find a significant difference.

We ride two up often with a trailer and need at it setup for 600 pounds?

Is is there a better way, or is an Elka the best option?

I have Elka shocks with heavier than standard springs. According to the guru at Elka the front shocks mainly affect the front and the loaded weight will not determine the preload or optimal spring rates you should use. When I bought the shocks used, I suspect the original owner weighed about 100 lbs less than I do and heavier shock springs were needed. I bought these springs from a US vendor and forum sponsor at the recommendation of Elka tech support. With the softer springs in place and not enough pre-load, the shocks handled only a bit better than the OEM shocks with the pro-load cranked all the way up. The air ride part of your question is kind of irrelevant as my non-air ride RT has air shocks that I can change add and remove pressure manually and I keep mine at 65-70 PSI for a good ride and to see over my windscreen (25").