PDA

View Full Version : Full or Half Cover?

bobgeorge
07-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Hello All,

What are some advantages and or disadvantages to a full or half cover for the RT?

Does the half cover protect all you need?

Is the full over hard to get on/off?

Thanks!

edbremer
07-26-2015, 07:10 PM
I've found that the half cover is adequate for my needs when on the road. It covers the windshield, seat areas and top box sufficiently. It's easy to store also.

Brentc
07-26-2015, 07:10 PM
I have the full cover and have only used it once. I'm looking for a half cover to use on a daily basis as I think it would be much easier to get on and off at work and when I park for short time periods.

happyspyder2039
07-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Hello All,

What are some advantages and or disadvantages to a full or half cover for the RT?

Does the half cover protect all you need?

Is the full over hard to get on/off?

Thanks!
I use BRP half cover all the time & it covers the seat-windshield area. Full cover I found was a pain to remove if you want to ride frequently. But long term storage is good. I also did some after market covers & found you get better quality with the BRP covers.

iSpyder
07-26-2015, 07:13 PM
I have never used a cover. The Spyder is built for weather so I don't worry about it. Do others use them just to keep people from sitting on them? Other reasons?

happyspyder2039
07-26-2015, 07:15 PM
I have never used a cover. The Spyder is built for weather so I don't worry about it. Do others use them just to keep people from sitting on them? Other reasons?
Sun fade/rain

bobgeorge
07-26-2015, 07:25 PM
I currently live in a townhouse without a garage. I would probably use the cover on rainy days or winter. I will probably be moving to a house with a garage within 6 months.

Do you guys put the covers on at your workplace? I walk by motorcycle lots & rarely if ever see a cover on them.

My RT is pearl white....do they really fade?

Chupaca
07-26-2015, 07:33 PM
I currently live in a townhouse without a garage. I would probably use the cover on rainy days or winter. I will probably be moving to a house with a garage within 6 months.

Do you guys put the covers on at your workplace? I walk by motorcycle lots & rarely if ever see a cover on them.

My RT is pearl white....do they really fade?

Full covers are more for storage (longer periods of time). Half covers are for traveling overnight stays etc. As for fading....all the controls and black matte finish parts dry out and fade. If you park in direct sun during the day a pull over cover is best....:thumbup:

oldguyinTX
07-26-2015, 07:37 PM
I have a full cover for my RT which I only use when we travel. For example, when we go to the beach house, I take the full cover to keep the pine needles off of the:spyder2:. Cover the trailer as well. Last September, we went to Spyderquest 2014 in Lake George NY & it rained every night. Used the cover every night for 3 nights. Glad I had it.

JayBros
07-26-2015, 07:39 PM
I've found that the half cover is adequate for my needs when on the road. It covers the windshield, seat areas and top box sufficiently. It's easy to store also.

+1! It also may deter eyes from prying or paws from fingering. I think if I was still working and commuting on it I'd probably use it daily mostly to protect the seat.

Plyrod38
07-26-2015, 08:09 PM
The half cover is fantastic for traveling. If it doesn't rain, it still keeps the dew off the seat and windshield.
My Spyder doesn't sleep outside except when we are traveling. Visited my mother-in -law for a week and the garage was off limits to our Spyder. I used the half cover every day because it rained everyday while we were there. No problems with using the half cover.

SpyderAnn01
07-26-2015, 08:13 PM
On the Alaska trip I think I was the only one who didn't cover their Spyder at night. I had to wipe off the dew but that wasn't necessarily a problem since I also got to wash off the bugs and dirt at the same time. I have a full cover, from my 2010, and it is nice but it takes up valuable space so I don't take it with me.

If I were going to buy one for the first time I think I would go with the half cover.

Sccar
07-26-2015, 08:59 PM
I use my half cover at work. Protects the seat from rain and sun. Don't like to sit on a wet swede seat. Goes on and off easy. Also keeps people away.

bobgeorge
07-26-2015, 09:32 PM
OEM or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MikeT
07-26-2015, 09:41 PM
I have both an aftermarket(Nelson Rygg)half cover and a full cover. I use the half cover during riding season both in the garage and when travelling. Once I put my RT into winter storage, I put the vented full cover on. Hope this info helps.

OEM or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2dogs
07-26-2015, 10:08 PM
A full Tourmaster cover for home and longtime storage or traveling in inclement weather. I also have a BRP half cover for traveling in good weather and or long stopovers. Both work well and serve their intended purpose. When stowing away the two, the full cover takes up a lot of space. Obviously the half cover stows away in less space.
What the heck...............get both. :clap:You'll do it sooner or later. :)

den2614
07-27-2015, 03:18 AM
I bought an after market 1/2 cover for my 14 RTL. I use all the time and store it in the frunk. Works great. Highly recommended.

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 07:04 AM
I've got three covers:
The BRP full-cover
The BRP half-cover
Spyder Sisters seat cover

The full-cover is almost a two-person, fifteen minute job, and it takes up a HUGE amount of space.
The half-cover is great for when you're on the road, and just want to keep the overnight weather off of the bike.
The seat cover from Spyder Sisters is a great one for daily parking lot use. It loops over the bar ends, and then back to the passenger grab rails. It'll keep folks from sitting on your bike, and takes maybe a minute to deploy...

ScreaminMeanie
07-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Mine came with a BRP full cover, and I am highly impressed with the quality. It is a bit much, however, for daily use. I contemplate that it will end up being used primarily for long-term winter storage. It takes at least 10 minutes to put it on, and at least 5 to take it off. It also takes up too much space in the luggage for toting around full-time.

I just ordered a Nelson-Rigg half cover that I intend to keep on the bike all the time, so that for stops in the heat/rain, overnight trips, etc., I will have a way to keep the seat and controls from becoming soaked and/or blazing hot, or, in the case of overnight night stops, keeping dew off. I expect it will also take up way less luggage space.

Denny B.
07-27-2015, 10:40 AM
IMO, the full cover is a PITA. I bought one and rarely use.

Jim&Teresa
07-27-2015, 10:52 AM
I have both full and half BRP covers.

I only used the full cover for winter storage. Full cover is large and takes time to put on and take off. I store it in my garage when not in use during the riding season. Way too big to carry with you on a trip IMO.

The half cover fits nicely in the saddlebag cover in the recessed area as we have the netting that holds it in. We always carry the half cover and rain gear on one side (right) on our bike.

The half cover is great and easy to put on and take off. I use it for overnights when the bike is outside during travelling. Also, it works absolutely great if you get caught in a downpour and quickly can put it on. We did this in Keystone, SD when visiting the Black Hills. We put our helmets under it (on the seat) and put the half cover over the bike in about 30 seconds...then ran for cover as the rain started coming down hard! Worked well.

finless
07-27-2015, 06:03 PM
I have the full cover and never used it yet.

I did not like the half cover as it does not breath and gets the seat hotter than without it covered (think of leaving your dog in a car for instance).

This was my solution and I have been using this for 3 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GyziDGo6U0

Bob

Deanna777
07-27-2015, 07:38 PM
I have/ and use the BRP Full cover( my spyder stays out side all summer long) I like it and it covers my :spyder2: ( I have an 2014RTS-SE6).

Also, I have the BRP half cover, it is easy to store in the Frunk at the bottom ( it gives my helmet some cushion when my spyder is the yard) and it covers the headlights, handle bars, windshield, Seats, part of the back trunk) and it keeps people from sitting on it/ and prying eyes when I am @ work. I secure it with the 2 straps that it comes with ( 1 on each of the floor boards). I like both Full/ half covers that I have. They are both easy to remove( on/off) Deanna

dlby
07-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Ultraguard
Amazon
Great 7 min on off
Very little space
Gooood quality!!

Then Wal-Mart touring cover for big bike
30 buks

Perfect for day trips

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

Empty Pockets
07-27-2015, 11:13 PM
The can am factory half cover is what we have for both Spyders. It works well for over the road trips

robmorg
07-28-2015, 02:23 PM
On the Alaska trip I think I was the only one who didn't cover their Spyder at night. I had to wipe off the dew but that wasn't necessarily a problem since I also got to wash off the bugs and dirt at the same time. I have a full cover, from my 2010, and it is nice but it takes up valuable space so I don't take it with me.
I was thinking the very same thing. I've taken some 2 or 3 day trips, and have found plenty of room on the Spyder to carry everything I need (including rain gear for me, which takes up a bit of room). But I'll be gone for a week when I go to Spyderquest this fall, and have been thinking about how to carry everything I'll need for that trip. I've concluded that a couple of terrycloth rags will be much more efficient than a half-cover for the Spyder (which probably doesn't care all that much if it gets wet at night). ;)

Dan McNally
07-28-2015, 02:52 PM
I have an inexpensive full cover that I bought on eBay - I only use it on trips when I am parked in motel parking lots. It deters people (and kids) from climbing all over it. It takes all of two minutes to put it on. by myself - in fact, it is easier to do it alone than with help. I put the part over the windshield on, first, pull the front over the frunk, then put it over the back and sides. The front wheels are the last part to get covered, and the first to get uncovered.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112441&stc=1

ScreaminMeanie
07-31-2015, 07:37 AM
I got the Nelson-Rigg half cover I ordered, and I think it's going to be perfect for what I need it for.

Pros:
It folds up small enough to fit in one of the sidecase lid recesses (my RT came with the Hopnel cargo nets already installed - handy).
It takes a minute or two, tops, to put it on.
It allows for a lot of air circulation beneath it so I don't anticipate it will become an oven under there.
It was $40 (including shipping).

Cons:
It's not exactly a custom fit. Based on the box and flyers that came in the box, it will fit virtually any Spyder from a GS to an RT. Still, it covers everything I think it needs to cover, and it fits well enough that it was a) clearly made for a Spyder, and b) isn't going to blow off in a windstorm, so I'm not bothered by it.

iSpyder
07-31-2015, 08:02 AM
I got the Nelson-Rigg half cover I ordered, and I think it's going to be perfect for what I need it for.

Pros:
It folds up small enough to fit in one of the sidecase lid recesses (my RT came with the Hopnel cargo nets already installed - handy).
It takes a minute or two, tops, to put it on.
It allows for a lot of air circulation beneath it so I don't anticipate it will become an oven under there.
It was $40 (including shipping).

Cons:
It's not exactly a custom fit. Based on the box and flyers that came in the box, it will fit virtually any Spyder from a GS to an RT. Still, it covers everything I think it needs to cover, and it fits well enough that it was a) clearly made for a Spyder, and b) isn't going to blow off in a windstorm, so I'm not bothered by it.

Thanks for this feedback. Just ordered the same one from Amazon a few minutes ago... ($40.99) Free same day shipping so I should have it this afternoon.

easysuper
07-31-2015, 09:07 AM
We like the half covers as they keep alot of dust and or dew, rain off when we stop for the night. At home they are parked in the heated garage.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112669&stc=1

wd8ajj
08-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Not to start a war but overall who's cover seems to be the best built? Here in southern New Mexico the sun eats most vinyl in a year or less.
Whos have good luck with what, and would recommend for the long term