PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an old wheelchair?

ARCTIC
07-26-2015, 06:25 PM
I have a wheelchair that I no longer need (thankfully) and I'm not sure how you get rid of it in a helpful manner. It's a Quickie GT that has a rigid frame and the back rest folds down and the wheels pop off. It's in great shape with a few scratches from me attempting to load it in the back of my truck once. Any ideas? Anyone need one? What's it worth?

Vader
07-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Maybe contact The Wounded Warrior Project, local VA Hospital or local rehab center..

Orange Spyder Man
07-26-2015, 06:28 PM
Salvation Army ?

osm

ARtraveler
07-26-2015, 06:29 PM
You can donate it to one of the many local organizations that serve those with disabilities. A Vets help organization may be a very good choice--since someone who needs one quickly can get one without the usual hoops and red tape added.

Most sell used for a couple hundred--but if you are not in the business, that is a long shot.
Glad to hear you no longer need the use of one. :yes:

oldguyinTX
07-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Maybe contact The Wounded Warrior Project, local VA Hospital or local rehab center..

Oddly enough, we have the same dillema. My wife broke her left leg in late April, needed a wheelchair, now does not need it. As a veteran who supports the Wounder Warrior Project, that would be my first choice. Realistically, the VA , a local hospital or senior center might be a better option. Get in touch with all, and donate it to whomever you wish.

roller
08-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Guys, I met a guy yesterday who is in desperate need. He's currently using a huge steel hospital pile of crap so his wife is doing all the pushing and breaking down/loading into car etc. They are absolutely lost so let me now what you got and I'll pass you on their email. They don't have a pile of money and he's delusional when it comes to the insurance and healthcare system!

Cheers,
roller

JayBros
08-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Suggest donation to Salvation Army or similar activity. Many facilities will not buy used medical equipment of any type for liability reasons.

Gwolf
04-15-2019, 10:35 PM
You mount a fish cooker and an LP gas bottle on it and make it a portable cook out. I got a picture of one somewhere.

nchangin
04-22-2019, 06:10 PM
Preowned wheelchair Sports Equipment group on FB. I would think that would be an acceptable listing. That is a good/great/classic street chair and if it's in new condition like you state someone needs one somewhere.

cptjam
04-22-2019, 11:36 PM
Contact your local American Legion post. They will make sure it is used!