PDA

View Full Version : Smell after riding

spydertrike
07-26-2015, 05:37 PM
I have a 2012. RTS SE5

I find after riding the bike after a short period of time my clothes smell like oil etc. Almost like driving a two stroke engine

does anyone experience this too

thanks

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-26-2015, 06:08 PM
That's just the " V - TWIN " smell :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.....most owner's think it's like Channel #5 ...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: only better :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:...personally a 30 year old design does nothing for me at my age ........jmho....Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-26-2015, 07:18 PM
To quote from a movie: "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning." :roflblack::roflblack:

I have not noted that I take on the smell of the :spyder2: after rides. Maybe I am "nose dead" to that though. I ride between one to two hours pretty much daily during the riding season.

If there was/is a smell, I guess I have learned to live with it. :thumbup:

Eagle1
07-26-2015, 07:21 PM
I have a 2010 rt, never have a smell.

oldguyinTX
07-26-2015, 07:52 PM
To quote from a movie: "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning." :roflblack::roflblack:

I have not noted that I take on the smell of the :spyder2: after rides. Maybe I am "nose dead" to that though. I ride between one to two hours pretty much daily during the riding season.

If there was/is a smell, I guess I have learned to live with it. :thumbup:

The end of that was "Smells like victory". Robert Duval, Apocalypse Now. But I agree with Mike, it is the "998" smell. Kinda nice when you get used to it.

cuznjohn
07-26-2015, 07:54 PM
i smell also, but only on really hot days and till i shower

Chupaca
07-26-2015, 08:00 PM
possibly your Y gaskets are starting to leak and your picking up some exhaust aroma...good time to pull the panels and give the engine compartment a good cleaning and see if you have leaks or accumulation of oil deposits. :thumbup:

oldguyinTX
07-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Don't go there Cuz

bmccaffrey
07-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Have a 13 RS

Don't have that smell :dontknow:

Ex-Rocket
07-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Man, I have that same smell on me when I ride with my buddies. Of course most of them ride Harleys so I always blame the smell on Harley exhaust.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Raknid
07-27-2015, 05:51 AM
Is it a gasoline or oil smell? Many still experience the gasoline smell from fuel boiling on hot days.

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 06:48 AM
Could it be that you've got some oil up in the air filter housing? :dontknow:

Grandpot
07-27-2015, 06:55 AM
Personally, I prefer a little spritz of W40 before going out on a date. :roflblack:

Deer Slayer
07-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Hum? A Spyder with b.o.:yikes:

Bob Denman
07-27-2015, 08:20 AM
Well :shocked:; this thread sure stinks... :banghead:

cuznjohn
07-27-2015, 09:00 AM
there is a spray you can use, it's called UMPIRE, it's for foul balls

TXSHOTGUN
07-27-2015, 10:54 AM
I have the 2013 flaming dragon RT-LTD! I have the air kit, recalled heat issue fix and 4 trips to two different dealers to fix the oil leak, I have dubed thee Can Ams Shovel Head! I presume, 20,000 miles of riding the flaming dragon warped the engine case, so while doing the heat issue recall, the dealership, also had to replace the onboard air compressor due to oil and dirt plugging off the air intake, they also replaced engine case. As so far, it has went from being able to find my way home oil leak to a splatter here and there. We will see in another 20,000 miles her personality!
Oh by the way, the heat issue on the ole huevos has been fixed and also do not get high on the boiling gasoline odor. It has also increased fuel mileage, from 27-30 to 30-33.

Rockwall
07-27-2015, 07:03 PM
I have not noticed an oil or engine exhaust smell. You definitely will get a "road smell" of whatever hits you on longer rides.:doorag:

Pampurrs
07-27-2015, 07:17 PM
I sometimes detect a smell after a long ride in the summer months. But after a shower it goes away.:roflblack:

:shemademe_smilie: Pam

Mazo EMS2
07-27-2015, 07:18 PM
I have a 2010 rt, never have a smell.

Same here....no smell after rides. Unless of course I had pickled eggs earlier on the ride.:opps:

finless
07-27-2015, 07:26 PM
http://www.utica.edu/student-blogs/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/pigpen.png

wiredgeorge
07-27-2015, 07:35 PM
I have the 2013 flaming dragon RT-LTD! I have the air kit, recalled heat issue fix and 4 trips to two different dealers to fix the oil leak, I have dubed thee Can Ams Shovel Head! I presume, 20,000 miles of riding the flaming dragon warped the engine case, so while doing the heat issue recall, the dealership, also had to replace the onboard air compressor due to oil and dirt plugging off the air intake, they also replaced engine case. As so far, it has went from being able to find my way home oil leak to a splatter here and there. We will see in another 20,000 miles her personality!
Oh by the way, the heat issue on the ole huevos has been fixed and also do not get high on the boiling gasoline odor. It has also increased fuel mileage, from 27-30 to 30-33.

Funny... I have been up and down 281 a zillion times and never remember driving through Windthorst... did somebody steal the city limit sign? Mapquest shows it a bit off 281 on 25 but all the streets hit 281. I always enjoy seeing a new town name (new to me of course) in Texas! Anyway, good luck with your spyder!.wg

TXSHOTGUN
07-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Funny... I have been up and down 281 a zillion times and never remember driving through Windthorst... did somebody steal the city limit sign? Mapquest shows it a bit off 281 on 25 but all the streets hit 281. I always enjoy seeing a new town name (new to me of course) in Texas! Anyway, good luck with your spyder!.wg

We are a small German Dairy Farming community, 35 miles north of Jacksboro, TX and 25 miles South of Wichita Falls, TX. We have a beautiful Catholic Church, Saint Mary's, on the hill overlooking the town. We have a General Store, at the junction of US 281 and FM 174. It is small town TX version of Walmart for farmers. They can fix you up a Sausage Wrap made locally while you wait. You can visit our church and historical Grotto. The Grotto was built by the money our WWII servicemen sent home, for a place we could pray for their safe return. Out of 51 men who served in all theaters of battle, only one was KIA, the rest made it home safely. Come by and take a visit!

Bob Denman
07-29-2015, 12:49 PM
It sure sounds as if it's worth a detour, and a stop! :2thumbs:

wiredgeorge
07-29-2015, 01:08 PM
We are a small German Dairy Farming community, 35 miles north of Jacksboro, TX and 25 miles South of Wichita Falls, TX. We have a beautiful Catholic Church, Saint Mary's, on the hill overlooking the town. We have a General Store, at the junction of US 281 and FM 174. It is small town TX version of Walmart for farmers. They can fix you up a Sausage Wrap made locally while you wait. You can visit our church and historical Grotto. The Grotto was built by the money our WWII servicemen sent home, for a place we could pray for their safe return. Out of 51 men who served in all theaters of battle, only one was KIA, the rest made it home safely. Come by and take a visit!

When it cools off some, will start touring again. I am also pretty busy with my business this time of the year; catching uip from spring rush so to speak. I rebuild / sell vintage motorcycle carburetors. We live near Medina Lake. If you get down to San Antonio, give me a shout and I can show you the Lake which now has water in it again hehe BTW: Medina Dam was the 4th largest in the country when it was built just over 100 years ago. Was built to irrigate the Medina Valley.

Bob Denman
07-29-2015, 01:29 PM
Vintage carbs? Do you offer a rebuilding service?
I've got a buddy with a 1978 BMW R100 RS.
His Bings are in a desperate way... :shocked:

AbNormy
07-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Vintage carbs? Do you offer a rebuilding service?
I've got a buddy with a 1978 BMW R100 RS.
His Bings are in a desperate way... :shocked:

follow http://www.ebay.com/usr/lamontsanfurd?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754 on Ebay if he doesn't have them this week he will soon. message him

Bob Denman
07-31-2015, 07:46 AM
:clap: Thanks! :thumbup:

kngfsh27
07-31-2015, 08:12 AM
Just did a google earth. Looks like a nice clean little town. Football stadium looks nice also. I do enjoy how this thread has gone from oil smell to body smell to small town history to when a dam was built to getting carbs rebuilt.:roflblack: Makes it fun.

BikerDoc
07-31-2015, 08:18 AM
I have a 2012. RTS SE5

I find after riding the bike after a short period of time my clothes smell like oil etc. Almost like driving a two stroke engine

does anyone experience this too

thanksYou didn't say how old the bike was.. Sometimes they are a little smelly during break in periods.. Its possible you could have something wrong but as you can see the crowd here doesn't take it took seriously. I have found that most of the things i think might be wrong tend to go away with more ryding. Of course at the end of my typical 16 to 18 hr rydes, the oil would probably smell a little like perfume