PDA

View Full Version : Blasted Torx!?#!

jwulf74
07-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Trying to do my cat delete and even after WD40Ing the bolts that hold the muffler to the cat the torx head decided to strip. Gonna have to cut it I guess... regular bolts are going back in for sure if I ever get the stripped on off.

Tulefog
07-26-2015, 12:52 PM
I believe they use Loctite red threadlocker on those bolts, it has to be heated up carefully, then they will come apart. I think in the owners manual they list the type of threadlocker they used on the various joints and red takes heat, up to 480F to get it to release. The directions with the cat bypass kit does not mention that, it has to be carefully done as there is a lot of plastic and flammables above this area. I used a plumbers torch, and a bent metal spatula as a heat shield around the bolt being heated, to get these loose.

jwulf74
07-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Yow. Thanks.

I managed to get the muffler and cat all out even with the one bolt still in.

Is there supposed to be a gasket between the cat delete and the muffler? I got the 2 gaskets for the cat delete to the headers.

Oddly enough, I only had 1 spring holding the header and cat together (both clamps were there). The wife's 2011 RT looks like it only has 1 spring on the header to cat too.

Tulefog
07-26-2015, 01:26 PM
I did a post on my experience with this called "threw out the cat". With the bypass kit there are only two header gaskets, and the gasket between the catalytic convertor and the muffler is reused, it is more like a compression ring, half a doughnut, as i recall. There were replies to my original post, and some of them may be able to give a better description. My 2013 RT only had one spring on the header on the right side too.

gypsy_100
07-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Is there supposed to be a gasket between the cat delete and the muffler? I got the 2 gaskets for the cat delete to the headers.

Oddly enough, I only had 1 spring holding the header and cat together (both clamps were there). The wife's 2011 RT looks like it only has 1 spring on the header to cat too.

Yes, as stated above, there is a doughnut type gasket between cat and muffler. It is usually stuck on pretty good but in perfect shape. If you can get it off without damage, you're good to go. If you need an exhaust gasket, they list for $19.

There is only one spring in spite of fittings for springs on both sides. The parts manual confirms this. Spring on right side, none on left side.

As for the OP, I recall that the bolts in question were hex's, not torx. If that is correct, that's why they stripped. Don't have mine anymore to look at but I studied the parts manual for my 2011 and for 2013's they are indeed hex socket bolts, not torx. That'll do it every time.

cuznjohn
07-26-2015, 02:04 PM
the bike is put together with the worst bolts they could of used, i don't think any of them are hardened

jwulf74
07-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I started with a hex, but it didn't hold. It looked like someone have already mangled the head a bit. I have proper bolts now with regular socket heads.

Thanks on the doughnut gasket too. Hopefully I can get it off in one piece.

robmorg
07-26-2015, 04:19 PM
It's threads like this one that make me glad I paid my dealer to do my cat bypass. Yeah, I know... I'm a wuss. :sour:

Bob Denman
07-26-2015, 04:55 PM
But you're a SMART wuss... :D :2thumbs:

After all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Chupaca
07-26-2015, 05:19 PM
had an issue with a allen bolt on the flywheel. Those are torqued a 19lbs. That is not what it takes to brake them loose and one stripped. Modified it into a torx by pounding one in and got it out. Of course no one has them aound here had to reinstall the same one but know it will be trouble if I ever have to remove it again. Torx and allens are great when it is for light duty or recessed. Jmo...:thumbup: