PDA

View Full Version : Need help on 2 related problems

MrBones
07-25-2015, 09:55 PM
#1 I get a check engine code and when I see what it is it says 0 PO520 which is engine oil pressure sensor circuit malfunction. Is this a big problem? Sometimes the oil light comes on and goes off in a few seconds and other times the check engine comes on. Is this just a goof off thing or a real problem?

#2 When I have got the above sometimes I can just turn the key off and then back on and the code will be gone. But today when I tried it the starter button malfuctioned but it did start! So I drove 100 miles and stopped to get gas and when I tried to start it the button was dead. Took the key out and let it set for about 10 minuets and put the key back in and still had no response. Then used my other key, the one I carry for back up and it worked! Got a sign that said read the card then press M to start. And it started! When I got home both keys worked. So am I safe to ride or not?

Thanks for any help.

ARtraveler
07-25-2015, 09:57 PM
If problem # 2 persists, I recommend the dealer check things out. It sounds like you have the now becoming common DESS issue.

I cannot help with issue #1.

MrBones
07-25-2015, 10:25 PM
What is the DESS code?

ARtraveler
07-25-2015, 10:29 PM
What is the DESS code?

It has to do with the key not being recognized by the computer when you try to start up the :spyder2:

ARtraveler
07-25-2015, 10:31 PM
The DESS code problem is on 2014 and 2015 RT's. I am not seeing what Year/model # you have. It would be helpful to let us know.

Chupaca
07-26-2015, 01:02 AM
If the oil light comes on when you turn the ignition on and goes off a few seconds after starting your switch is working and your pressure is good. If the light comes on while ryding and repeats after computer resetsyou best have it checked out.

As mentioned above by akspyderman there are issues with the ignition switches (DESS =digitally encoded security system) where the communication between the key and the switch/computer is sometimes off. Thing is sometimes they work but you don't want it to quit on you down the road. You can check this with the vin #.... :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-26-2015, 07:17 AM
This is probably a dumb question :opps:; but have you checked your oil level? :shocked:

MrBones
07-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Sorry about the omission. Its a 2010 RSS SE5. No dumb question but yes I checked it right after the last ride and also when I got home yesterday. Thanks. And when the oil light comes on the check engine does not. And visa versa!

AMTJIM
07-26-2015, 10:31 AM
There have been a few intermittent oil pressure switches or connections at the switch. There were also a few clogged screens on the oil tank...something I question if they are actually checking when seviced. I know it's just the parts guys, but they didn't know what the crush washers were at any of the drain ports let alone the oil tank screen...and didn't have them in stock. Hmmmmmmm?

MrBones
07-26-2015, 11:51 AM
AMTJIM How do I get to the screens in the oil tank? Do my own oil changes but forgot about the oil tank strainer. Let me know how to get to them thanks for any help.

AMTJIM
07-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Its on the aft side of the oil tank, dump the oil out the bottom first of course. The crush washer aren't a huge deal, they get heat treated and reused on some aircraft parts...copper.
There is also a little drain on the underside, near the filter, not a whole lot comes out...once again, tank bottom first.

MrBones
07-26-2015, 08:14 PM
I must be dense as I have no idea what you are talking about? The screen is aft? And copper washers? Sorry but thanks for the try anyway. So where are the strainers and how do I get to them?

AMTJIM
07-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Strainer, there are 2, there is one flowing into the aft side of the oil tank on the SM type...that hose return line. They had a few getting impacted, it's suppose to be getting checked. They don't even have the Oetiker pliers or clamps in the shop when you ask them...same old Oetiker clamp untouched on the oil tank.
The copper washer, the seal washers as they call them, are suppose to be one time use as well as any rubber O-rings. The drain plugs off engine and tank, copper seal washers, rubber O-ring off engine oil filter...they give a blank stare when you ask for them. What are they using in the maintenance shop if they are not in stock?

DakotaRae
07-27-2015, 11:52 AM
New Spyder owner.... 2014 RT How can i check Vin# to see if I would have this DESS issue??

If the oil light comes on when you turn the ignition on and goes off a few seconds after starting your switch is working and your pressure is good. If the light comes on while ryding and repeats after computer resetsyou best have it checked out.

As mentioned above by akspyderman there are issues with the ignition switches (DESS =digitally encoded security system) where the communication between the key and the switch/computer is sometimes off. Thing is sometimes they work but you don't want it to quit on you down the road. You can check this with the vin #.... :thumbup:

AMTJIM
07-27-2015, 12:03 PM
Your vin should be on your insurance card, you can call/visit a Spyder dealer or type it in on the BRP Can-Am website.
http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/safety/safety-recalls.html

Chupaca
07-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Check with dealer or brp website. If you have the key number check spyderlovers.com threads by finless...

MrBones
07-28-2015, 08:14 PM
I started trying the starter button in the garage off and on for about 6 times and all worked! Also along the line, the check engine code stopped and the oil light works as supposed to. Will be taking it for a ride soon, so will see what happens then. No idea why the turn around. Maybe just the Nanny acting up. I hope. :clap::clap:

MrBones
07-29-2015, 09:07 PM
OOPS came back the oil light would not shut off till I turned the switch off then back on. So must be a Nanny thing!:banghead::banghead:

AMTJIM
07-30-2015, 02:55 AM
There is a maintenance procedure to check the oil pressure switch on the Green/Midwest manuals CD. But the connector is in a low forward leftside of the engine and just may need the contacts excercised/cleaned.