PDA

View Full Version : REALLY PISSED OFF

BLACK SPYDERRT
07-25-2015, 06:54 PM
2011 SPYDER RTS WITH 6800 MILES
TOOK A RIDE TONIGHT.
CRUSING AT ABOUT 85 IN 5TH GEAR WITH THE CRUISE ON
.... E... CAME ON IN THE DIGITAL AREA WHERE THE GEAR IS NORMALLY DISPLAYED.
N AND R WHERE ALSO STARTED FLASHING IN THE ANALOG SPEDOMETER.
ENGINE KEPT RUNNING FINE ON THE WAY HOME PUSHED 70+ A COUPLE OF TIMES ON THE WAY HOME JUST BECAUSE IM STUPID.
KEPT AN EYE ON THE ENGINE TEMP RAN A LITTLE HOTTER ONE MARK PAST HALFWAY USUALLY STAYS CLOSE TO HALFWAY AND I FELT EXTRA HEAT ON MY RIGHT LEG.
LET IT COOL OFF IN THE DRIVEWAY .
STARTED BACK UP AND ALL SEEMS OK

JUST CHECKED THE OIL VERY THIN LIKE WATER
MUST BE ANTIFREEZE
NOW WHAT !!
AN ENGINE REBUILD AT 6800 MILES WITHOUT WARRANTY
I HAVE MY BIKE SERVICED AT A LOCAL DEALER, OIL WAS CHANGED LAST MONTH, ALL FLUIDS WERE REPLACED BY DEALER LAST YEAR ALSO.
I HAD ALSO CHECKED THE ANTIFREEZE LEVEL 2 WEEKS AGO AND THAT WAS FINE.
THEY SHOULD BUILD A BIKE THATS LAST MORE THAN 6800 MILES AND IF THE BIKE CAN'T TAKE CRUISING AT 85 THEY SHOULD TELL YOU!

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CAN AM PHONE NUMBER?
I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER A COMPLAINT WITH THE MANUFACTURER.

THANKS!!

PISSED

CRAIG

billybovine
07-25-2015, 07:06 PM
A lot of good people answered your post yesterday and correctly diagnosed your problem as a problem with the Gear Position Sensor. There is likely nothing wrong with the temp or antifreeze in the oil. If you don't believe us take it to your dealer.

BLACK SPYDERRT
07-25-2015, 07:16 PM
A lot of good people answered your post yesterday and correctly diagnosed your problem as a problem with the Gear Position Sensor. There is likely nothing wrong with the temp or antifreeze in the oil. If you don't believe us take it to your dealer.
I SMELL ANTIFREEZE AND THE OIL IS AMOST CLEAR AN DRIPS LIKE WATER OFF THE DIP STICK

billybovine
07-25-2015, 07:34 PM
I SMELL ANTIFREEZE AND THE OIL IS AMOST CLEAR AN DRIPS LIKE WATER OFF THE DIP STICK

If there is antifreeze in the oil. The oil should look whitish?
What is the level of the coolant in the reservoir?
Coolant leaking into the oil is so rare I don't remember anyone else posting with that problem. So sorry I am skeptical.

MisterP
07-25-2015, 07:42 PM
You said you checked coolant two weeks ago and it was fine. Now you think you have a coolant leak, yet you never mention checking it again.

If there is coolant in your oil it will look milky white. If you check the oil with the bike still hot, it will appear pretty thin. That's called viscosity, and the oil gets thinner when hot.

The only real issue you may have is a failing gear position sensor. The rest of the problems you think you have, you don't.

Frank G
07-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Are you missing antifreeze? Quit guessing, take an oil sample and have it analysed. Oil and antifreeze will not mix. You may bash BRP and Rotax power plants if you wish...but, they produce world class motors of the highest quality.:thumbup: Don't take my word, do your own research.

Chupaca
07-25-2015, 07:50 PM
about the only way for that to happen is a blown head gasket for which you would have gotten more lights than an E....Your coolant level should be way down and your engine overheating big time. Now if you want to get brp involved take it to the dealer so they can confirm and you can have them get you in touch or at least help you with diagnostics...

BLACK SPYDERRT
07-25-2015, 08:01 PM
about the only way for that to happen is a blown head gasket for which you would have gotten more lights than an E....Your coolant level should be way down and your engine overheating big time. Now if you want to get brp involved take it to the dealer so they can confirm and you can have them get you in touch or at least help you with diagnostics...
ALSO GOT N AND R FLASHING AT THE SAME TIME AS E AS I MENTIONED IN THE ORIGINAL POST
I WILL CHECK THE ANTIFREEZE LEVEL IN THE MORNING
BUT I KNOW WHAT ANTIFREEZE SMELLS LIKE AND I CHECK THE OIL REGULARLY WHEN THE BIKE IS HOT AND IT HAD BUBBLES ON THE DIPSTICK ALMOST CLEAR AND WATERY

one2doo
07-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Looks like a chocolate milkshake not clear!

Ex-Rocket
07-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Don't be crying WOLF if there isn't a WOLF in site. Just take your bike to dealer to verify or not.

ARtraveler
07-25-2015, 08:56 PM
From your post above: "THEY SHOULD BUILD A BIKE THATS LAST MORE THAN 6800 MILES AND IF THE BIKE CAN'T TAKE CRUISING AT 85 THEY SHOULD TELL YOU!

I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER A COMPLAINT WITH THE MANUFACTURER."

IMO: A bit early to go on a rant about the product or the company. Have seen a lot of people post that they drive that speed all day with no problems.

You have received good advice in both of your threads. The hard part is the working through the suggestions. Don't cut ties with the dealer at this point in time over this. You may need them to go to bat for you with BRP. Another word of advice, don't talk about lawyering up. You will be treated "special" after that.

Hope this does work out all right and that the fix is not to drastic. Please do keep us posted as you work through this.

BLACK SPYDERRT
07-25-2015, 09:05 PM
From your post above: "THEY SHOULD BUILD A BIKE THATS LAST MORE THAN 6800 MILES AND IF THE BIKE CAN'T TAKE CRUISING AT 85 THEY SHOULD TELL YOU!

I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER A COMPLAINT WITH THE MANUFACTURER."

IMO: A bit early to go on a rant about the product or the company. Have seen a lot of people post that they drive that speed all day with no problems.

You have received good advice in both of your threads. The hard part is the working through the suggestions. Don't cut ties with the dealer at this point in time over this. You may need them to go to bat for you with BRP. Another word of advice, don't talk about lawyering up. You will be treated "special" after that.

Hope this does work out all right and that the fix is not to drastic. Please do keep us posted as you work through this.

THANKS FOR YOUR POST. MY DEALER IS ALMOST 15 MILES AWAY. HOPE YOUR ALL RIGHT AND I DON'T GET STUCK

pitzerwm
07-25-2015, 11:09 PM
THANKS FOR YOUR POST. MY DEALER IS ALMOST 15 MILES AWAY. HOPE YOUR ALL RIGHT AND I DON'T GET STUCK

FYI in Internet land ALL CAPS mean you are shouting, I understand that you are pissed, but take a Vicodin and get some control, **** happens, you are ether covered by a warranty, or you are not, and you will write a check. Since most of use are over 60, and if this is the first crap that has happened to you so far in life, consider yourself lucky. Most of us have had a lot of crap in their lives and have learned to deal with what you can control and get out of the way of what you can't.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-26-2015, 01:11 AM
MY DEALER IS ALMOST 15 MILES AWAY. HOPE YOUR ALL RIGHT AND I DON'T GET STUCK
You're fortunate! Compared to how far most Spyder owners have to travel to get to a dealer yours is same as across the street! Take a sample of oil out of the tank and let it set in a clear jar for a day or two. If there's antifreeze in it it'll settle to the bottom and you can clearly see the difference between the oil and water.

SpyderAnn01
07-26-2015, 01:19 AM
ALSO GOT N AND R FLASHING AT THE SAME TIME AS E AS I MENTIONED IN THE ORIGINAL POST
I WILL CHECK THE ANTIFREEZE LEVEL IN THE MORNING
BUT I KNOW WHAT ANTIFREEZE SMELLS LIKE AND I CHECK THE OIL REGULARLY WHEN THE BIKE IS HOT AND IT HAD BUBBLES ON THE DIPSTICK ALMOST CLEAR AND WATERY

Does you radiator have oil in it? If you have a blown head gasket you would likely have oil in the antifreeze and antifreeze in the oil. Bubbles on the dipstick is not unusual and you should let the bike idle for 30 seconds or so to let the bubbles subside before you check it.

jerpinoy
07-26-2015, 01:47 AM
Maybe you need to slow down to a safe speed limit.

jtoro1
07-26-2015, 07:14 AM
I had the same indicators on the display it was caused by my bike wash I got water in the conectors I let it dry the problem when away.

Bob Denman
07-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Maybe you need to slow down to a safe speed limit.
:shocked: Sorry... I don't see this as helpful...

The entire "EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS"... can seem a bit "loud" for some of us...
Let's work the problem, and see what is found.
Take it one step at a time, and let us know what you find; good luck! :thumbup:

Red RT-S
07-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Had the same problem 2 weeks ago,. Took the bike to the dealer and they discovered an oil leak from the seal in the water pump. Oil was therefore a little low causing a problem with the gear position indicator. They replaced the leaking seal and no problem since then. They even cleaned all the bugs off the bike. This seal was replaced just over a year ago when the bike was still under warranty, but BRP said the seals they used were poor and they are now using a better quality seal. They didn't even charge me the $50.00 deductible under the B.E.S.T. warranty. Thanks BRP and Walt's Sales and Service in Derby, VT.

BLACK SPYDERRT
07-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Had the same problem 2 weeks ago,. Took the bike to the dealer and they discovered an oil leak from the seal in the water pump. Oil was therefore a little low causing a problem with the gear position indicator. They replaced the leaking seal and no problem since then. They even cleaned all the bugs off the bike. This seal was replaced just over a year ago when the bike was still under warranty, but BRP said the seals they used were poor and they are now using a better quality seal. They didn't even charge me the $50.00 deductible under the B.E.S.T. warranty. Thanks BRP and Walt's Sales and Service in Derby, VT.

thanks for your post
checked the antifreeze level this morning
had filled it to the max line 2 weeks ago and it is empty now
checked the oil again smells like antifreeze
poured some out of the brp oil i have no smell
i should probably have them pick up the bike

Highwayman2013
07-26-2015, 09:46 AM
If you think the anti freeze is going in the oil the oil level should go up roughly the amount the coolant goes down. The oil would probably not be thin but tan and milkshake looking. You may just have a loose clamp or a cracked coolant bottle. Good luck with the repairs.

DrewNJ
07-26-2015, 10:56 AM
If you have antifreeze in the oil you would know it, and it wouldn't be bubbles and smell. It looks like a milkshake.
Bubbles are normal as the oil agitates. Thin oil when hot is normal. 5 bars (one over half) is normal.
Sounds like you've got a coolant leak somewhere if your smelling it and are low, but its not mixing with the oil from what your describing. Scream on...
Here is a pick of coolant mixed with oil...112302

Bob Denman
07-26-2015, 11:19 AM
:shocked: Scary-looking; but informative! :clap: :thumbup:

BLACK SPYDERRT
07-26-2015, 11:20 AM
If you have antifreeze in the oil you would know it, and it wouldn't be bubbles and smell. It looks like a milkshake.
Bubbles are normal as the oil agitates. Thin oil when hot is normal. 5 bars (one over half) is normal.
Sounds like you've got a coolant leak somewhere if your smelling it and are low, but its not mixing with the oil from what your describing. Scream on...
Here is a pick of coolant mixed with oil...112302
Thanks for the pic..

tbhlaw
07-28-2015, 12:17 AM
I had the same symptoms in terms of lights flashing and the problem was a faulty map (sp?) sensor. One shop replaced the sensor but not the vacuum hoses attached to it. Had same symptoms again and another dealer replaced the vacuum lines to the sensor. While the hoses looked OK with no cracks, the ends were brittle and did not seal so the sensor was losing vacuum.

Yelhelp
07-28-2015, 05:08 AM
2011 SPYDER RTS WITH 6800 MILES
TOOK A RIDE TONIGHT.
CRUSING AT ABOUT 85 IN 5TH GEAR WITH THE CRUISE ON
.... E... CAME ON IN THE DIGITAL AREA WHERE THE GEAR IS NORMALLY DISPLAYED.
N AND R WHERE ALSO STARTED FLASHING IN THE ANALOG SPEDOMETER.
ENGINE KEPT RUNNING FINE ON THE WAY HOME PUSHED 70+ A COUPLE OF TIMES ON THE WAY HOME JUST BECAUSE IM STUPID.
KEPT AN EYE ON THE ENGINE TEMP RAN A LITTLE HOTTER ONE MARK PAST HALFWAY USUALLY STAYS CLOSE TO HALFWAY AND I FELT EXTRA HEAT ON MY RIGHT LEG.
LET IT COOL OFF IN THE DRIVEWAY .
STARTED BACK UP AND ALL SEEMS OK

JUST CHECKED THE OIL VERY THIN LIKE WATER
MUST BE ANTIFREEZE
NOW WHAT !!
AN ENGINE REBUILD AT 6800 MILES WITHOUT WARRANTY
I HAVE MY BIKE SERVICED AT A LOCAL DEALER, OIL WAS CHANGED LAST MONTH, ALL FLUIDS WERE REPLACED BY DEALER LAST YEAR ALSO.
I HAD ALSO CHECKED THE ANTIFREEZE LEVEL 2 WEEKS AGO AND THAT WAS FINE.
THEY SHOULD BUILD A BIKE THATS LAST MORE THAN 6800 MILES AND IF THE BIKE CAN'T TAKE CRUISING AT 85 THEY SHOULD TELL YOU!

THANKS!!

PISSED

CRAIG

Craig I to have a 2011 RT I have over 30,000 Miles and I have had a couple of hoses replaced and the coolant tank. On both occasions I smelled anti freeze, the tank thing was tough because I did not see any leak. I was out of warranty. I finally found that there was a very small pin ho;e leak that became a fine mist while moving and with RPM's up. I bought a new tank and installed it. Point being , take it easy until you know what it is . These bikes have a great engine but because of all the switches and plastic parts they are sometimes giving the false conclusions.

jtpollock
07-28-2015, 06:51 AM
I have had my problem with antifreeze had to replace the thermostat ...that not what.

I am replying about the photo is very clear about antifreeze and oil.

If there is antifreeze in the oil the you will have a very nasty white cloud as you ride down the road known from experience. my Spyder has 50,000 miles I ride hard I pull a trailer.

Good luck listen to the good advice from the good people above and hang in there. :thumbup:jtpollock

Pirate looks at --
07-28-2015, 09:55 AM

I am guessing that the only thing that is stuck is your Caps Lock! Most people find it rude to SHOUT! when asking for advise!

Pampurrs
07-28-2015, 10:12 AM
I am guessing that the only thing that is stuck is your Caps Lock! Most people find it rude to SHOUT! when asking for advise!

:agree:

Chupaca
07-28-2015, 10:24 AM
I had the same symptoms in terms of lights flashing and the problem was a faulty map (sp?) sensor. One shop replaced the sensor but not the vacuum hoses attached to it. Had same symptoms again and another dealer replaced the vacuum lines to the sensor. While the hoses looked OK with no cracks, the ends were brittle and did not seal so the sensor was losing vacuum.

After finless post checked my hoses and they looked fine. The outer one was still pretty solid but the inner one only looked solid...
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112420&stc=1 then a bit of flexing and http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112421&stc=1 was working fine but who knows for how much longer. :gaah:

Bob Denman
07-28-2015, 11:40 AM
:shocked: Stick a fork in them; they're done! :shocked:
Are you replacing them with OEM, or will you upgrade to silicone pieces? :dontknow:

Chupaca
07-28-2015, 05:51 PM
:shocked: Stick a fork in them; they're done! :shocked:
Are you replacing them with OEM, or will you upgrade to silicone pieces? :dontknow:

Brick colored silcon (nice accent color) but comes in rolls so if you need some let me know....:thumbup:

Lamonster
07-28-2015, 06:19 PM

THANKS!!

PISSED

CRAIG

http://www.brp.com/en-us/customer-service

bruiser
07-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Very simple way to check for coolant in oil. Run the engine until exhaust pipe is hot. Pull dip stick and let a drop of oil hit the hot pipe. If it smokes it's just oil. If it sizzles and bubbles, there is water in the oil. Rarely, you can have water in oil and it won't turn milky. There are several reasons for loosing coolant. Improperly installed reservoir cap is a common problem. The caps are not easy to get to and a bear to reinstall. There is a worm clamp on the lower hose that is known to work loose. Make sure it's tight but don't over do it. You can crack the tank. There is also the possibility of a small crack which will show up more after the bike is hot and the tank expands from heat and pressure.

The issue with the "thin" oil, it's not an issue. BRP oil is thin or light. It's the viscosity of semi synthetic oil. And it will get thinner as it gets used. There really isn't any thick oil anymore like in the old days. Oils are processed with additives that thin them out. Unless you run 80 weight.

The E in the gear indicator along with the flashing N and R indicates a sensor issue or possibly an electrical anomaly. I would bet more on the gear position sensor.

While it is your right to complain, don't bash BRP. After all, you don't even know what the problem is and you haven't given the dealer a chance to troubleshoot the bike.

Just my two cents worth.