PDA

View Full Version : HEADLIGHT REPLACEMENT

JKMSPYDER
07-24-2015, 06:57 PM
On my way back from the Deadwood three wheeler trike rally I noticed that one of my headlights had burned out. I purchased a replacement at a local auto store and installed it in my ST-S. The owner's manual doesn't give a bulb number but it is a 9003 H4. After I replaced the bulb I noticed the new bulb had more of a white light and the original bulb had more of a yellow light. So back to the auto store to purchase another matching bulb with white light. After I replaced the second bulb I realized it was probably a good idea because the OEMs were 2 1/2 years old with over 23,000 miles of use. Is it always a good idea to replace both bulbs when one goes out?

Chupaca
07-24-2015, 07:01 PM
If your like me I would get 5miles down the road and the other goes out. In my case I change both and the good one becomes an emergency spare...glad you bright white and back on the trail...:2thumbs:

lylebetty@eastlink.ca
09-08-2015, 06:02 AM
On my way back from the Deadwood three wheeler trike rally I noticed that one of my headlights had burned out. I purchased a replacement at a local auto store and installed it in my ST-S. The owner's manual doesn't give a bulb number but it is a 9003 H4. After I replaced the bulb I noticed the new bulb had more of a white light and the original bulb had more of a yellow light. So back to the auto store to purchase another matching bulb with white light. After I replaced the second bulb I realized it was probably a good idea because the OEMs were 2 1/2 years old with over 23,000 miles of use. Is it always a good idea to replace both bulbs when one goes out?

Is it a big tear down to replace the bulbs. Can't fine anything on it. Only RT on you-tube

JKMSPYDER
09-08-2015, 06:31 PM
My owners manual showed how to replace the headlight bulb and included photos. It was really easy after I removed the tupperware to get to the bulb. Remember to never touch the glass with your fingerprints. If you happen to touch it, use alcohol to clean the bulb.

ThreeWheels
09-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Not sure about the ST-S. I'm assuming it's similar to the RT-S.
If that's true, I suggest you switch to HID bulbs.
Stripping the tupperware and removing the headlight assembly is common for both lights.
Once you have the front taken apart, replacing the bulb in kind takes five minutes.
Mounting HID bulbs takes 20 minutes.
In my humble opinion, the difference in time and money is WELL worth the difference in the final light output.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

Flamewinger
11-10-2015, 04:42 PM
My online service manual says to remove speedo and replace bulbs.

HID's are technically illegal and some states watch out for this. Personally, I don't want to blind the oncoming driver and find myself in a head on collision with them.

RT's have different headlights to the ST's. The RT has a projection style front housing and the ST's & F3's have normal refraction housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flamewinger
12-07-2015, 06:16 PM
I just got into mine and the rubber boots were practically glued on to the bulb! Had to play tug-o-war with one and get the spring clip open to get the bulb/boot out. Even then I had to pull hard to get the boot off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk