PDA

View Full Version : Replaced 2014 RT antenna today

byker
07-24-2015, 03:04 PM
I purchased a new OEM antenna today from the local Can-Am dealership (fredericksburg motor sports). The cost for the antenna was $61.06. I also purchased a 7mm deep well socket and a 7mm combination wrench for roughly $10.00 at Lowes home improvement. The antenna broke right at the top of the metal part that screws into the antenna frame. It was loctited in place so I used the 7mm deep well socket to remove the old piece and used the 7mm combination wrench to tighten the new antenna in place. I broke the antenna last week while camping in Wildwood NJ at the Acorn campground. I was putting my shorty cover on and first I slid the cover over the antenna and then moved to the front of the bike to pull the cover over the windshield. Then I noticed the antenna broke. I think maybe I didn't slide the cover over the trunk far enough to take the pressure of the cover off the antenna and it broke when pulling over the windshield. Of course, the dealer stated that the antenna is not a warranty item. He said the warranty only covers defects (why do I have a 4yr warranty). Oh well, I didn't feel like arguing so I purchased a new one. I was wondering if (i'm sure this is posted somewhere) if any of you guys use something different that might be more sturdy or durable that doesn't compromise the radio reception? Thanks, Donnie C.

ARtraveler
07-24-2015, 03:06 PM
When there were some issues with antennas not being installed with a lock washer and a dab of Loctite...the go to antenna came from WalMart. A rubber, stubby, that sold for less than $10. It worked fine for me while I waited for a replacement under warranty.

bodymanpainter
07-24-2015, 03:45 PM
I have broken mine 2 times and I just drill out the material from the base and re glue the
antenna back in and all is good.
Toby

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-24-2015, 04:12 PM
I posted PICS on how I mounted a " COLLAPSIBLE " antenna on my 2014 RT.....sorry but I can't do links :dontknow:.......It gets much better reception than the OEM..............................On your new OEM, when putting on a COVER you MUST put the antenna thru the HOLE in the COVER first and work from there........just sayin........Mike :thumbup:

happyspyder2039
07-24-2015, 09:08 PM
I have broken mine 2 times and I just drill out the material from the base and re glue the
antenna back in and all is good.
Tobyi had the same thing happen & did the same thing. Now I make sure cover is all the way down around the base of antenna.

SpyderAnn01
07-24-2015, 09:59 PM
There is a flexible rubber shorty antenna that a lot of people have on their RTs, I think you may be able to buy it at WalMart. I had one on my 2010 RT and it bugged me because it would get caught in the rear trunk when I closed it. The stereo on the 2010 was pretty junky and I don't know if the antenna added to that or not.

Just be careful with your cover and maybe you won't need to look for another one anytime soon.

happyspyder2039
07-24-2015, 10:20 PM
There is a flexible rubber shorty antenna that a lot of people have on their RTs, I think you may be able to buy it at WalMart. I had one on my 2010 RT and it bugged me because it would get caught in the rear trunk when I closed it. The stereo on the 2010 was pretty junky and I don't know if the antenna added to that or not.

Just be careful with your cover and maybe you won't need to look for another one anytime soon.I tried the Walmart one & it made things worse. Considered the custom dynamic shorty.