PDA

View Full Version : HD takes notice

Indyron
07-24-2015, 07:19 AM
See

http://www.jsonline.com/business/harley-takes-notice-as-trikes-take-market-share-b99543131z1-318376901.html?ipad=y#

Bob Denman
07-24-2015, 07:34 AM
A very interesting article; thanks! :thumbup:

Mr. White
07-24-2015, 08:06 AM
I live two miles from a huge HD dealer. They are aggressive in pushing their bikes with some promotion going on every Saturday....bands, demos, free food (that is why I go), etc. When I only had my GW Motor Trike and would go over for a soft drink and hot dog, I would get a little kidding about the training wheels, etc. Then HD started selling their trike...and the cat calls stopped. One of the die hard HD guys who I have known for years used to kid me a lot. THEN, he slipped of and triked his HD. He later came up and said, it is the best thing I have done. Now when I take Mr. Cognac over, several come up and say I am getting older and I will get a trike.....lots of questions about Mr. Cognac too.....

:spyder2:

kngfsh27
07-24-2015, 08:23 AM
If you go to the Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee, you will find two Spyder-like Harleys. Don't know how long ago they were built, but they appear to be newer. Don't know why they stepped away from the design.:dontknow: Both were very sleek looking machines with lots of chrome.
If you are ever in the Milwaukee area the H-D Museum is well worth the time.

JayBros
07-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Saw this last evening on the TV news.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/autos/harley-davidson-recall-loose-saddlebags/

Chupaca
07-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Nice article and I'm sure they have all been watching the spyder (hoping it would go away..:roflblack:) but it has gotten into the market and I would say is the only one that may be nibbling at the share. It is also mentioned in every article related to three wheels but no one has put out the same set up.(I don't mean tow up front) All the Japanese manufacturers make a Harley want-to-be that look and act like Harleys, this is what eats at their share not the spyder. Harley's trike is a very small part of their sales. :thumbup:

jwulf74
07-24-2015, 12:42 PM
HD trikes may be a small share now, but our local HD dealer is selling all they can get their hands on. Also, HD had great financing on everything BUT trikes and a couple of specific models. Typically if something like that is held back, it is because they are selling very well and don't need incentives.

ARtraveler
07-24-2015, 02:53 PM
I am seeing more HD trikes around here than in previous years. I also note that the attitude factor carries over when they go from two to three. I have started to avoid these people because I don't like the attitudes they have.

Most of them stick their noses up instead of wave. My reply--ruff, ruff, and laugh.

Rogue Hawk
07-24-2015, 03:10 PM
HD people do take special notice to my F3. CA made a good move making a trike that is more 'motercycle-like'.

Dustoff
07-24-2015, 03:14 PM
The local Harley store will tell you flat out they make more money on motor clothes and all of the other stuff they sell than they do on the motorcycles !! This is the largest Harley store in the NW when it comes to motorcycle sales !!!

coz
07-24-2015, 04:01 PM
I, for one would be very interested in the " Penster " if it ever went into production. In satin black of course.

kngfsh27
07-24-2015, 04:10 PM
I, for one would be very interested in the " Penster " if it ever went into production. In satin black of course.
It looks a lot like one that is at the Harley Museum. Good looking trike.

IGETAROUND
07-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Nice article and I'm sure they have all been watching the spyder (hoping it would go away..:roflblack:) but it has gotten into the market and I would say is the only one that may be nibbling at the share. It is also mentioned in every article related to three wheels but no one has put out the same set up.(I don't mean tow up front) All the Japanese manufacturers make a Harley want-to-be that look and act like Harleys, this is what eats at their share not the spyder. Harley's trike is a very small part of their sales. :thumbup:

AS surprising as it might seem HD trikes are in 4th place on their line up in sales!!:yikes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-24-2015, 05:28 PM
The local Harley store will tell you flat out they make more money on motor clothes and all of the other stuff they sell than they do on the motorcycles !! This is the largest Harley store in the NW when it comes to motorcycle sales !!!
They could make more money selling bikes if they would deal. My brother bought a Harley trike up near Seattle over a year ago. Got a much better deal than the local guys would offer. He even had an HD trade-in.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-24-2015, 05:31 PM
That looks a lot like the conversion Tilting Motor Works offers for HDs.

scott16119
07-24-2015, 05:38 PM
I don't think Harley is to concerned about Spyders and Slingshots. Sure there is a small share of the heavyweight market going to trikes, and they certainly would like their share of the pie. Harley sold 100,000 motorcycles in the last quarter, BRP just recently reached that milestone in total motorcycles sold. I bet Harley is more concerned about Polaris Industries as a whole than they are about the Slingshot.