PDA

View Full Version : What is the secret?

greatrides
07-22-2015, 10:48 PM
I have had 2 spyders 2012 rs put 35000 miles on it in 2 years. I now have a 2014 sts it's not a year old with 21000 miles. I want to exstend my ride time by a lot. I can do about 300 miles and that is it. I have factory seat with an air hawk pad. I would love to push my ride time to 500 plus miles so new seat gel pad new rt? I did 310 miles today and I felt real good just ran out of road and time. I have to get off most of the time because upper back and butt just can't take it anymore.

SpyderAnn01
07-22-2015, 11:04 PM
The TriAxis handle bars are great and really help eliminate shoulder pain. I also feel that a good backrest is a must. I have the BRP Comfort Seat and backrest and it works good for me. I consider a 400 mile day to be a short one.

You may want to check out Russell Day Long or Bill Mayer Seats.

wiredgeorge
07-22-2015, 11:10 PM
I have had 2 spyders 2012 rs put 35000 miles on it in 2 years. I now have a 2014 sts it's not a year old with 21000 miles. I want to exstend my ride time by a lot. I can do about 300 miles and that is it. I have factory seat with an air hawk pad. I would love to push my ride time to 500 plus miles so new seat gel pad new rt? I did 310 miles today and I felt real good just ran out of road and time. I have to get off most of the time because upper back and butt just can't take it anymore.

I had a Kawasaki Voyager XII... good for 600 mile day, a Kawasaki Nomad ... good for 400 mile days, a GL1800 good for 600 mile days, a GL1500 trike good for 450 mile days, a Royal Star Venture good for 700 mile days (did 1000 a couple times but in misery).

The Nomad had ergos similar to the Venture but the ability to stay in the saddle was far less due to the nature of the engine. You had to flog the Nomad where the Venture had nice power. The Goldwing GL1800 had even better power but the ergos were not as good for me. I had floorboards but couldn't stretch my legs any due to the width of the engine. I had highway pegs but didn't like using them much. A sheepskin seat cover helped a lot but I did get a hot spot on my tailbone and thighs after a real long ride.

Next time you are in the San Antonio area look me up and try a ride with full Seal boards... that really extends my seat time. The buzzy engine probably is the thing that makes me tired most (2010 Spyder RT). Stock seat with no backrest is fine for me.

Dubliner
07-23-2015, 12:58 AM
In a nutshell, youth!
When I wore a younger man's clothes, I could ride from dawn to dusk and only get off to refuel:coffee:
These days I have to get off every ninety minutes of riding to ease the old monkey butt, so I salute all of you who can put in 600 mile days but I missed a lot on those mindless rides. These days I like to get off to smell the roses and take the odd photo or two!

Jim&Teresa
07-23-2015, 06:41 AM
The TriAxis handle bars are great and really help eliminate shoulder pain. I also feel that a good backrest is a must. I have the BRP Comfort Seat and backrest and it works good for me. I consider a 400 mile day to be a short one.

You may want to check out Russell Day Long or Bill Mayer Seats.

:agree: I had a 2012 RT Limited and just the stock bars - put about 8000 miles on it before trading it in for my 2014 RT Limited. My neck and shoulder pain grew as I road that over some long trips (600 miles/day).

When I purchased my 2014, I decided to try the Tri-Axis handlebars after a couple of months - what a difference!!!! NO more neck and upper back pain! :D:D:D:D I have them adjusted back and a little up so that I feel totally comfortable and not reaching forward (like the OEM bars made me). I'm only 5' 7" and the OEM bars did not fit me well. I also have the BRP backrest and that fits me well.

BTW - love my 2014 RT Limited :firstplace: It's an awesome machine with just about 20,000 trouble free miles on it! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Extending your time in the saddle...
How we ALL long for our wasted youth! :D

Seriously: some sort of exercise routine that helps to limber you up might help... Do some stretching during your fuel and bathroom breaks, and stay hydrated. ;)
When it comes to making the bike fit you better...
The Tri-Axis bars, a seat that fits your tailgate, and finding the proper positioning for your feet; will always allow you more time.

...At a cost! :shocked:

Good Luck, and let us know what you do to make this happen! :thumbup:

greatrides
07-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Thank you all for all the info. I will come back to this soon to let everone know what I had to do.