PDA

View Full Version : Best way to tie down.

Texasranger
07-22-2015, 09:22 PM
What is the best way to secure my Spyder in the toy hauler.
Dont want to pull on the wrong parts.

Centurion
07-22-2015, 10:15 PM
For the one time I trailered my Spyder, I used the method illustrated in the manual (pg 157 in mine). I passed the straps through the wheels. Others have indicated that this may scratch the rims if done repeatedly. Lamont (site sponsor) recently reviewed a Spyder specific solution that seemed easy to use and a perfect solution. Will try to find the thread-other may be able to remember the product.

M109Dreamer
07-22-2015, 10:22 PM
I used the same steps that the owners manual states. When I ran the straps throught the wheels I wrapped the strap with a micro fiber towel for the wheels. No harm the the wheels after.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

asp125
07-23-2015, 12:33 AM
We towed our RS in the back of our toy hauler for a year. Wheel chocks against each front wheel, straps through the spokes of each front wheel to the front tie downs. Rear was held down with a strap through either the passenger pegs to each corner tie down or one through the rear wheel. Never had any issues with it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-23-2015, 12:36 AM
Also the least expensive is the way I do mine ......A single heavy duty ( 3000 lb. ) rachet strap over the rear tire ( in line with the tread )....This way nothing touches your paint, or any suspension parts.......I do block the front wheels on the sides to prevent movement..........PS my strap cost me $ 5.00............................If you are nervous you can do both front wheels for $10.00.................Mike :thumbup:

retired1
07-23-2015, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1010498]Also the least expensive is the way I do mine ......A single heavy duty ( 3000 lb. ) rachet strap over the rear tire ( in line with the tread )....This way nothing touches your paint, or any suspension parts.......I do block the front wheels on the sides to prevent movement..........PS my strap cost me $ 5.00............................If you are nervous you can do both front wheels for $10.00.................Mike (Plus the cost of installing E track or D rings on the floor of the trailer.)

Bob Denman
07-23-2015, 07:14 AM
Your manual will say to put the straps through the wheels, and that's a pretty good way to keep your Spyder in place. The aforementioned micro-fiber towel will certainly prevent any scratching of the rims.
When "Threading the needle" that is the rear wheel; just be aware of all of the stuff back there, that you wouldn't want to damage... drive sprocket and belt on the left, and the entire rear brake caliper on the right.

The couple of times that I cinched mine down; I wrapped around the lower A-arms up front.
Not suggested by BRP; but it did work out okay!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Your manual will say to put the straps through the wheels, and that's a pretty good way to keep your Spyder in place. The aforementioned micro-fiber towel will certainly prevent any scratching of the rims.......B.S. look closely at the hood of your car.... I'll bet you've washed and waxed it .....see all those swirl marks ....those are scratches ....and that's just from washing and waxing it .....Now if you believe strapping your PAINTED wheels with a strap isn't going to SCATCH them, then enjoy some ice cream with Bob......jmho...Mike :thumbup:
When "Threading the needle" that is the rear wheel; just be aware of all of the stuff back there, that you wouldn't want to damage... drive sprocket and belt on the left, and the entire rear brake caliper on the right.

The couple of times that I cinched mine down; I wrapped around the lower A-arms up fro
Not suggested by BRP; but it did work out okay!

:yikes:..........See above in red

Bob Denman
07-23-2015, 10:35 AM
...JC is still waiting for his check... :D
This is a method that has been used by folks who are hauling high-end collectible cars: stuff with values that would make you want to gag! nojoke
If it's good enough for a million dollar Cobra; it ought to work okay for a Spyder. :thumbup: