PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics of a Spyder crash

Rogue Hawk
07-21-2015, 02:06 PM
It's not possible to be prepared for every crash scenario. So I try to configure my gear to cover the most common. Obviously, there is no concern about a low side. But I can see the most common scenario occurring;

A driver turns and crosses into the motorcycles path and the bike hits the car broadside. The rider is then ejected forward and into the unknown.

I can also see where a Spyder would fishtail, hit a curb, and throw the rider off the side, again into the unknown.

Getting rear ended and fly sideways or on top of the offending car. BTW, something that happened to me while on my Honda interceptor.

The worst of these scenarios is the first one, a broadside collision with a car. The Spyder has a big front end, particularly the RT, so the rider is likely to hit the bodywork before anything else. As far as bracing for such an impact, would it be better to hunker down, or stand up on the pegs and try to reduce impact with the bodywork? I am not sure.

I confider my gear for this scenario. That means a chest protector, full face helmet, and motorcycle boots with shin guards. I also wear a motorcycle specific jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back protection. One a two wheel motorcycle, hip and leg abrasion protection is a must, but I don't think its a primary concern on a Spyder since it does not low side.

Your thoughts?

Bob Denman
07-21-2015, 02:14 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111982&stc=1

ARtraveler
07-21-2015, 02:19 PM

:agree: x 2. We just went through a major discussion yesterday spurred on by a simple question about what to wear when the temperature is very hot.

Its still running, and the fists and knives are flying back and forth. :roflblack::roflblack:

I am going to opt out--as they say. :yes:

Chupaca
07-21-2015, 02:50 PM
:agree: all the above...both x2...understand you and you should dress as you see fit . Thing is you should be comfortable and not be worrying cause it kills all the fun...made it through a few and know what to wear and what not to wear and now just ryde for the pure enjoyment...and pick up the odd nessesity..:roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-21-2015, 02:52 PM
you should dress as you see fit . Thing is you should be comfortable and not be worrying cause it kills all the fun...

:D Amen, and Thank you! :clap:

JayBros
07-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Life's too short to worry about planning for such :cus:. Dress the way you want and go have fun on three.

Orange Spyder Man
07-21-2015, 03:44 PM
only protect the parts of your body that you value !

osm

Rogue Hawk
07-21-2015, 03:49 PM

Being prepared does not always mean worry.

Pampurrs
07-21-2015, 03:57 PM

:agree::

SpyderAnn01
07-21-2015, 04:36 PM
The OP lives in Chicago so cut him some slack as his chances of being hit are probably a bit higher than some of you who live in less populated places.

I guess I am different from the OP in that instead of considering what will happen if I'm hit, I try to concentrate on making decisions that will keep me from being hit.

Bob Denman
07-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Being prepared does not always mean worry.

:agree: Being prepared gives you confidence! :2thumbs:

But you sure can over-think it! :D

If you want to be as safe as possible...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111988&stc=1

Roadster Renovations
07-21-2015, 04:44 PM
:agree: Being prepared gives you confidence! :2thumbs:

But you sure can over-think it! :D

If you want to be as safe as possible...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111988&stc=1

What if the remote shorts out.....

The power goes off and I stuck in this position.....

The massage function causes a blood clot......

A spring pokes through and gives me blood poisoning......

Bob Denman
07-21-2015, 04:45 PM
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:: yikes::yikes:

Pennyrick
07-21-2015, 06:17 PM
What a depressing thread.

Each of the things mentioned could also happen when driving a sports car, ATV, bicycle, scooter. etc.

If you are always focussed on what might happen, your mind will never be paying attention. When driving any vehicle you must stay in the present.That doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of escape avenues if some idiot cuts you off or fails to yield... but using this kind of logic leads to wearing life jackets in the bathtub.

Pampurrs
07-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Seems like there's a lot of preoccupation about crashing on this forum. In another thread people were talking about dressing like storm troopers, in preparation for the crash that they're sure their going to have, and now this. As SpyderAnne pointed out, attention and focus should be on ,being a better and more attentive operator and avoiding crashes, rather than thinking about what hospital you're going be in later today. I'd venture a bet that many of the Spyder riders have never taken an MSF course or even follow the MSF.... or the AMA, which is chock full of safety tips etc.

I think we all need to just enjoy our rides. Dress comfortably, and at least a little bit protective. And most of all, learn and utilize "motorcycle radar". You'd be surprised how you can predict what's going to happen just by keeping your eyes well ahead of you, glancing from side to side, making eye contact with drivers around you, staying out of blind spots, and always leaving yourself an escape route. In 38 years of riding, I have never been involved in a crash, but I can tell you I have avoided quite a few close calls. I owe this to the motorcycle skills classes that I take periodically, and just exercising my motorcycle radar.

Ride safe
Ride often
Have fun

Don't be preoccupied with crashing.

Pam

bmccaffrey
07-21-2015, 06:37 PM
If you ride like everyone is trying to kill you.

Keeps u pretty defensive :thumbup:

wyliec
07-21-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm prepared when riding my spyder. I wear a life jacket (shorts and sandals in trunk) just in case I hit a flash flood.

Pampurrs
07-21-2015, 06:42 PM

Yup. That's why you need to keep your motorcycle radar on at all times.

Pam

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-21-2015, 06:46 PM
The OP lives in Chicago so cut him some slack as his chances of being hit are probably a bit higher than some of you who live in less populated places.

I guess I am different from the OP in that instead of considering what will happen if I'm hit, I try to concentrate on making decisions that will keep me from being hit.

:agree::agree::agree:..............Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Seems like there's a lot of preoccupation about crashing on this forum. In another thread people were talking about dressing like storm troopers, in preparation for the crash that they're sure their going to have, and now this. As SpyderAnne pointed out, attention and focus should be on ,being a better and more attentive operator and avoiding crashes, rather than thinking about what hospital you're going be in later today. I'd venture a bet that many of the Spyder riders have never taken an MSF course or even follow the MSF.... or the AMA, which is chock full of safety tips etc.

I think we all need to just enjoy our rides. Dress comfortably, and at least a little bit protective. And most of all, learn and utilize "motorcycle radar". You'd be surprised how you can predict what's going to happen just by keeping your eyes well ahead of you, glancing from side to side, making eye contact with drivers around you, staying out of blind spots, and always leaving yourself an escape route. In 38 years of riding, I have never been involved in a crash, but I can tell you I have avoided quite a few close calls. I owe this to the motorcycle skills classes that I take periodically, and just exercising my motorcycle radar.

Ride safe
Ride often
Have fun

Don't be preoccupied with crashing.

Pam
:agree::agree::agree:..............And find my post " HYDROPLANING "..........it may make riding your Spyder less tense and safer outing ....Mike :thumbup:

Dustoff
07-21-2015, 07:09 PM
I couldn't agree more !!:agree::agree: If you are constantly thinking about crashing then you probably will !! Just saying !!

Buggy
07-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Hmmmmm....

Pampurrs
07-21-2015, 07:31 PM
What a depressing thread.

Each of the things mentioned could also happen when driving a sports car, ATV, bicycle, scooter. etc.

If you are always focussed on what might happen, your mind will never be paying attention. When driving any vehicle you must stay in the present.That doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of escape avenues if some idiot cuts you off or fails to yield... but using this kind of logic leads to wearing life jackets in the bathtub.

:agree::agree::agree:

HIspyder
07-21-2015, 07:50 PM

That philosophy has kept me alive for 37 years now. Love it! :2thumbs:

robmorg
07-21-2015, 09:26 PM

osmHmm. That would be nude, except for goggles. I don't think so! :yikes:

BajaRon
07-21-2015, 11:27 PM
What if the remote shorts out.....

The power goes off and I stuck in this position.....

The massage function causes a blood clot......

A spring pokes through and gives me blood poisoning......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-EQVR3PSYY

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-22-2015, 08:43 AM

osm

AGREE :thumbup:

Rogue Hawk
07-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Well, my perspective is different because I was hit by a car. I was wearing jeans, hiking boots and a helmet. My shin got the worst of it. I do ride defensibly, but in the case of my crash, it would not have made a difference. I was at a stop light and was plowed into from behind. I am not paranoid, just ready. If you see me in my gear, I don't look like Robocop. With advances in technology, its easy to hide your gear, Companies like Dianese and Force Field make top quality gear that is slim line.

If you search on You Tube on people who review there gear after a crash, they talk about first hand how glad they had gear on, and what they will change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOq-I6sLgYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW-y44Wtqv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Rny1pNYzQ

Bob Denman
07-22-2015, 11:40 AM
:shocked: Glad that you're here, and able to talk about it! :2thumbs:

(ATGATT here!)