PDA

View Full Version : I need heavy duty rear shock

Edsts
07-19-2015, 07:49 PM
On my sts 2013 there is not a lot of play , being a big guy at 360lb , I do not ride 2 up for this reason ! Any recommendations on the type of shock I should get.

Oh don't know if this makes a difference I have the fox shocks with the new links and Ron sway bar!

kyspyder
07-19-2015, 08:49 PM
I would recommend getting an ELKA rear shock, contact them and give them your weight, they will take care of you.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/

spacetiger
07-19-2015, 09:53 PM
Elka is one solution. If you have the ability to change the spring, then you can save about 90%.

Jerry

Edsts
07-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Elka is one solution. If you have the ability to change the spring, then you can save about 90%.

Jerry

Got dam them prices thou ! LoL reading up on Ella's the shock seems Quality , but I think I want to find a spring first to see how that works , any idea where I can purchase heavy duty spring !

coz
07-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Is your rear shock adjustable?

spacetiger
07-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Got dam them prices thou ! LoL reading up on Ella's the shock seems Quality , but I think I want to find a spring first to see how that works , any idea where I can purchase heavy duty spring !

Read this first: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?61674-2012-RT-S-SE5-Rear-Suspension-%28shock%29

Then post back...

loisk
07-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Read this first: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?61674-2012-RT-S-SE5-Rear-Suspension-%28shock%29

Then post back...

OK I read it, thanks for the link ...
Question 1 - is the RT rear shock the same as the ST rear shock ?? What about the air thingo the RTs have but the STs don't ? (Yes, dealer told me it could be added to the ST, but a replacement aftermarket shock would be way cheaper...)
Second question - I've read on spyderlovers that the ST is the same rear shock as earlier RS models - the RS 09 I had at least had preload adjustment, while the ST does not - can anyone confirm either way?
Preload would probably do me, as only needed when towing (ride one-up and I'm not heavy), and an Elka seems like overkill for my needs (and budget).

DrewNJ
07-22-2015, 08:34 PM
I added the RT manual adjustable airbag setup to my 12' RS for about $125 or so. Fantastic for 2 up riding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

loisk
07-22-2015, 09:03 PM
I added the RT manual adjustable airbag setup to my 12' RS for about $125 or so. Fantastic for 2 up riding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd add it in an instant for $125. I was dealer-quoted an estimate of in excess of AUD 600 Plus Install !! Hmm maybe I shall look at non-BRP airbag setups. This would be good to know, for me (when towing) and the OP (which I've figured out means Original Poster, though I was wondering and dreaming up all sorts for this acronym lol). Thanks DrewNJ, I shall re-look at this option.

DrewNJ
07-22-2015, 09:21 PM
Just look through the parts diagrams for an RT. Pretty easy list of parts, plug and play bolt on. Most difficult part is finding a place to mount the Schrader valve. I mounted mine in the sport rack just below the lid.

spacetiger
07-23-2015, 04:16 PM
I'd add it in an instant for $125. I was dealer-quoted an estimate of in excess of AUD 600 Plus Install !! Hmm maybe I shall look at non-BRP airbag setups. This would be good to know, for me (when towing) and the OP (which I've figured out means Original Poster, though I was wondering and dreaming up all sorts for this acronym lol). Thanks DrewNJ, I shall re-look at this option.

Line up all your options with + / -. A spring change if you only need a spring is around $75 or less. If you need a sleeve, you can double it unless you can get someone to make a spacer.

Post back what you do

Jerry

900Dave
07-23-2015, 05:30 PM
I did not know you could put the RT airbag set up on an ST. I went with Elka in the back & front. If I would of known this I would have put the airbag on the rear instead. I have demo'ed RT's and the rear airbag is SWEEEET! Or should I say SMOOOOOTH! It really takes care of the bumps.

loisk
07-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Thanks all for your input. I'll post what we do, but my little ST is sitting in the corner watching Jeff put all his new bits on his new F3S. When he can re-focus on mine we'll do more with the rear shock and I'll let you know.