PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RTS SE6 with Federal and Pirelli Tires

Questions
07-18-2015, 04:40 PM
In spite of the warnings that car tires are harder (900) than motorcycle tires (400), I recently mounted two Federal 595 EVO 75 BSW 165/55 R15 on the front ($61 each) and a Pirelli PZERO 225/50 R15 on the rear ($338). I think there is something to the hardness being slick and perhaps not holding as well, on a TWO wheeler, but the Spyder has what, 6 times or maybe 8 times more rubber-to-road surface contact than a two wheeler? I also know that most dealers don't inflate tires properly. "Cold" does not mean before you ride it. "Cold" means 32º F. If you want 16 PSI in the front, and the temperature is 80º before your ride it, then add 1 PSI for every 10-12º above 32º. So 80 - 32 = 48. Add 4 PSI. So I put 20 PSI in the front. Same formula for the rear. I put 30 PSI.

Consider the Spyder leans outward in a turn. There are plenty of people out there smarter than I am that could calculate the G-force or downward pressure on the outside tire in a turn. I'm guessing the weight of the bike is doubled, maybe tripled which only serves to INCREASE the grip by the Federal EVO tires. They did not slip anyway, not the least. I admit I did not turn hard enough to kick in the VSS, but I'm sure it will kick it. After all, it doesn't know I got rid of the Kenda's!!!!

Now, the road test. I just put 130 medium to hard miles on them to test. I'll caution you again..... you shouldn't do this (say the experts) but I'm telling you my Spyder just took off her work boots and put on a pair of house shoes. It steers easier, tracks better, handles better in the curves that it did, and the best part is both Federal and Pirelli make ROUND tires, not the octagon shaped ones like Kenda. Almost zero vibration and if I could find a perfectly SMOOTH road that will probably disapear. I am totally pleased.

It used to feel squirrly at 80 mph and over, but I did kick it to 101 and I could have taken my hands of the handlebars (but didn't). What a great feel compared to the Kendas.

Note: I did adjust the suspension a notch softer to improve steering. I usually run 2nd from highest. Stiffening the suspension usually takes care of any steering wander in the curves, but try it both ways if you ever feel like it wants to wander.

Most likely, if they are really that much harder, fuel economy may improve and most likely I'll get 20,000 - 30,000 out of the front, although I don't expect much more than 15,000 - 20,000 from the Pirelli on the rear as it is already a soft sport tire.

Thank you FEDERAL and PIRELLI for making the size I needed. (Toyo also makes a 225/50R15 and about $120 cheaper than the Pirelli.
UPDATE 09/01/2016:
We have put 8,500 miles on the Federal's (front) and Pirelli (rear) and I couldn't be happier. There is almost NO SIGN OF WEAR. We took a 3,200 mile ride last month from Branson thru Smokies, Hilton Head (Don't go there. They hate bikes. We couldn't even get in a shopping area with $6 gate fee. NO BIKES). On to St Augustine, Tampa, Jackson, MS, back to Branson.

We road the "TAIL OF THE DRAGON TWICE" and I mean rode it hard. Cars and bikes moved aside. Only one young man on a Ninja flew past us like I was in Reverse. Saluted him at the end and he smiled. When I say hard, the 2014 RTS-SE6 loaded with luggage and 2 passengers (Our wt. totals about 300 LB), the VSS system kicked in at least 50 times. We saw two bikes in the ditch - mountain side. If any went over the other side it's too far down to see. For those who don't know, Tail of the Dragon is the first 11 miles of US 129 with 318 turns in 11 miles. MM 0 - MM 11. Great ride.

Although I must caution again, bike tires are 400 hardness. Car tires are 900. I think the Spyder is a car when it comes to tires. Had NO SLIP at all in the turns, no more hydroplaning in wet conditions than you would expect, and great stopping in rain. Although I test fairly hard braking in rain, I did NOT lock them up enough to kick in the ABS system.

Bob Denman
07-18-2015, 05:13 PM
:clap: Thanks for the well-written assessment of the tires' performance! :thumbup:

BikerDoc
07-18-2015, 06:20 PM
In spite of the warnings that car tires are harder (900) than motorcycle tires (400), I recently mounted two Federal 595 EVO 75 BSW 165/55 R15 on the front ($61 each) and a Pirelli PZERO 225/50 R15 on the rear ($338). I think there is something to the hardness being slick and perhaps not holding as well, on a TWO wheeler, but the Spyder has what, 6 times or maybe 8 times more rubber-to-road surface contact than a two wheeler? I also know that most dealers don't inflate tires properly. "Cold" does not mean before you ride it. "Cold" means 32º F. If you want 16 PSI in the front, and the temperature is 80º before your ride it, then add 1 PSI for every 10-12º above 32º. So 80 - 32 = 48. Add 4 PSI. So I put 20 PSI in the front. Same formula for the rear. I put 30 PSI.

Consider the Spyder leans outward in a turn. There are plenty of people out there smarter than I am that could calculate the G-force or downward pressure on the outside tire in a turn. I'm guessing the weight of the bike is doubled, maybe tripled which only serves to INCREASE the grip by the Federal EVO tires. They did not slip anyway, not the least. I admit I did not turn hard enough to kick in the VSS, but I'm sure it will kick it. After all, it doesn't know I got rid of the Kenda's!!!!

Now, the road test. I just put 130 medium to hard miles on them to test. I'll caution you again..... you shouldn't do this (say the experts) but I'm telling you my Spyder just took off her work boots and put on a pair of house shoes. It steers easier, tracks better, handles better in the curves that it did, and the best part is both Federal and Pirelli make ROUND tires, not the octagon shaped ones like Kenda. Almost zero vibration and if I could find a perfectly SMOOTH road that will probably disapear. I am totally pleased.

It used to feel squirrly at 80 mph and over, but I did kick it to 101 and I could have taken my hands of the handlebars (but didn't). What a great feel compared to the Kendas.

Note: I did adjust the suspension a notch softer to improve steering. I usually run 2nd from highest. Stiffening the suspension usually takes care of any steering wander in the curves, but try it both ways if you ever feel like it wants to wander.

Most likely, if they are really that much harder, fuel economy may improve and most likely I'll get 20,000 - 30,000 out of the front, although I don't expect much more than 15,000 - 20,000 from the Pirelli on the rear as it is already a soft sport tire.

Thank you FEDERAL and PIRELLI for making the size I needed. (Toyo also makes a 225/50R15 and about $120 cheaper than the Pirelli. I already have 28000 miles on my Federal Evo tires on the front of my 2014 RTL and no serious sign of wear yet.. I expect them to last 40000 easily.... and no question they handle much better than the defective OEM tires that wore out at 8000 miles

Roadster Renovations
07-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Good assessment! I won't ever go back to bike tires. We have 11K on our Michelin Hydroedge and it is just barely showing wear.

Deanna777
07-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Last month I replaced my tire with a General Altimax RT 43 I have not had issues with the handling or the nanny. I could get 35,000 miles on the new rear tire. And I have not ridden in the rain yet. Deanna

Questions
09-01-2016, 07:32 AM
I already have 28000 miles on my Federal Evo tires on the front of my 2014 RTL and no serious sign of wear yet.. I expect them to last 40000 easily.... and no question they handle much better than the defective OEM tires that wore out at 8000 miles

Sorry, I posted my little 8,500 mile update before I noticed your 28,000 report. Great news to me.
I didn't mention that we never really had a problem with the rear Kenda, maybe because it is bigger, maybe because the rear is harder to notice problems. But the rear Kenda wears out to fast. Since Pirelli is a softer tire, I'm expecting it to wear out at around 20,000 miles. If I can stay off the accelerator, it might get more.

Loving Spyders: Love it more when 2-wheelers try to hang with it in curves like Tail of the Dragon, and Pig Trail in Arkansas.

Thanks for your post.

blacklightning
09-01-2016, 08:24 AM
I have only had my Federals on for about 150 miles, but so far I love them. What pressure are you guys running in your front tires? Right now I am at 20, and it seems good. I also have a Kumo in the rear, what pressure is everyone running in those?