PDA

View Full Version : Mods

JerryB
07-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Hi folks,

Here in the Portland, OR area we are fortunate to have an independent Spyder mechanic.

He is mostly retired and does maintenance work on Spyders to bring some extra $$$$$ in. I think he only does mechanical work, no electronics, etc. He has owned his '08 GS SE-5 since it was new & has about 56,000 miles on it. His wife and he just bought two F3's.

Yesterday he & I spent the afternoon doing some work to my '08; I did my best to not get in his way & still be a part of the 'operation.'

New plugs & wires - Thank you BajaRon

New air filter & breather - Thank you JT

New Missing Air Dam & Air Management System - Thank you SpyderPops ( no more hot foot )

Changed oil & filter - I supplied all of the parts for everything.

From the time I rolled into his shop and out on the road again = 2 3/4 hrs.

Labor cost = $100

A lot better deal than any dealer can offer. NOTE: I am not trying to belittle or rub it in as to any dealer(s), just wanted to let you know that we have a good mechanic in our area.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) JT's air cleaner definitely changes the sound; you are warned. :clap:

Edit to add: We installed magnetic drain plugs for both the engine & trans - thanks Gold Plugs

Bob Denman
07-18-2015, 05:05 PM
:congrats:
Glad to hear that you've found the right man for the job! :clap: :2thumbs:

Pampurrs
07-18-2015, 08:11 PM
You piqued my interest. Tell me about JT's air filter and where I can get one.:popcorn:

Pam

loisk
07-18-2015, 08:32 PM
we've got the JT air filter on ST 13 - yes it is noisier. I've just put on the bit of foam he calls some kind of premuffler (not to be confused with the cat aka premuffler) so as soon as the frost is off the grass we'll be checking out the noise difference. Will try to remember to let you know the results. Lots more room in the engine bay for cooler air to circulate.

JerryB
07-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Hi Pam,

Re: You piqued my interest. Tell me about JT's air filter and where I can get one.

Go to the HOME page and scroll down until you see:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/jt.jpg (http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/)

Click on his ad and it will take you to his website.

You're welcome,

Jerry Baumchen

Doc - Riverside
07-19-2015, 01:08 AM
You piqued my interest. Tell me about JT's air filter and where I can get one.:popcorn:

Pam

The mentioned air filter is for the V-Twin engine (998) only. You have a ACE 1330 engine and there isn't a air box replacement kit for it yet.

Upcoaster
09-22-2019, 08:39 PM
I just stumbled across this post and am very interested to learn more of this local, private mechanic in the Portland, OR metro area.
I searched through JerryB's posts and noted he sold is ryde earlier this year and thus may no longer be participating here at Spyderlovers? Not sure of this but I'm hoping anyone on the form might have contact info for the mechanic whom Jerry was singing the praises of at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks,
David