PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Spyder RT-S Shifting Issue

charlotte2010
07-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Need some information. I bought my 1st Spyder in April of this year. The other day I was out and about and started having trouble shifting.When shifting from 1st to 2nd it would go into neutral. Never had this problem until now. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

We're getting ready for vacation and want to make sure all the kinks are fixed.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-17-2015, 11:57 PM
Need some information. I bought my 1st Spyder in April of this year. The other day I was out and about and started having trouble shifting.When shifting from 1st to 2nd it would go into neutral. Never had this problem until now. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

We're getting ready for vacation and want to make sure all the kinks are fixed.

I would really love to help you with this ...................However my CRYSTAL BALL is cloudy and I can't see your Spyder to tell what type it is and what type of Transmission it has .....????????????????????????.............Houston we have a problem :yikes: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:................. ...Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
07-18-2015, 12:12 AM
Don't hear this much on the manuals so going to take a shot and say yours is a semi automatic. You must remember these high rpm v-twins use oil. Your manual tells you how to check the oil and to check it every 500 miles. You will have to add oil if you checked it right. Shifting will become a problem if low or oil is over due for a change. The fact it is shifting would indicate linkage and actuator are working. Though checking the pinch bolt on the shift shaft is always a good idea...let us know what you find...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-18-2015, 07:58 AM
I'm just guessing; but I'd also say that you're bike is probably low on oil... :shocked:
One of the ways that they manifest this condition: the shifting gets a bit "Wonky"! :yikes:

charlotte2010
07-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Sorry new to the whole forum thing. I'm sure more information would be helpful. Our 2010 Spyder RT-S is a manual transmission. We plan on doing an oil change this weekend. I've read several posts and not sure what is the best oil to use.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Sorry new to the whole forum thing. I'm sure more information would be helpful. Our 2010 Spyder RT-S is a manual transmission. We plan on doing an oil change this weekend. I've read several posts and not sure what is the best oil to use.

????.....How firm are you being with your shifting ,.....the 1 - 2 shift can get hung up if not done firmly........it won't go 1 to 3 on a firm shift.......On oil ..You can't use any oil with an API spec that has an ....." SM "...rating in it.....it's not good for the CLUTCH......I used Pennzoil 10-40 I bought at Walmart for a good price ........Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-18-2015, 09:21 AM
If you want to play the oil change "safe"... use what BRP sells for the bike. :thumbup:
After all; they built it! :D

That's NOT to say that there might be better oil out there... :bdh: But then we'll be into another thread, where that "Dead Horse" has to take more abuse! :bdh:

charlotte2010
07-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Thank you! I changed the oil and also checked the pinch bolt which was loose. Runs great and no issues when shifting. Thanks for your help.

Bob Denman
07-19-2015, 06:40 AM
:congrats: Glad to hear that the "hunky-doryness" has returned! :thumbup: :D