PDA

View Full Version : Engine corrosion

spyderme
12-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Don't know if i'm getting a little pedantic here, but I have just noticed some white powder on the engine casings. The type you get on untreated alloy. I know the engine is not in general view, but I think BRP could have at least coated the engine for protection.
Some of you with lots of riding in the elements must be getting a fair bit of corrosion up on your casings. I know from past experience that left unchecked this corrosion eventually leads to pitting of the alloy.
I think I read somewhere that washing down with a mild solution of sodium bi-carb neutralises this type of corrosion.
Any thoughts

Al

Roaddog2
12-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Must be that salty air let me know Baking Soda thing works I use to have this problem on some of my Harleys but they have been painting motors for some years know:thumbup:

sabunim5
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
You are correct in what you have said. If the pitted parts are aluminum alloy the corrosion will self seal unlike corrosion on ferric alloys. Use of baking soda may allow the corrosion to continue/spread if you don't seal afterwords. You could paint or use a clear sealer if it really bothers you. Be sure to use something that can take moderately high temps. I love it when I have to get the dictionary out to be sure I understand. Thanks for the post. I have similar corrosion on the engine block of a 1991 BMW that I bought in Virginia from a person that road even when their was salt on the roads. It has never spread beyond what it was when I bought it. Living in Florida I don't have to worry about salt on the roads. As you say, BRP could have coated the engine to prevent this. However it is out of sight and will never corrode enough to effect the machine in any way during it's expected service life. One of the many reasons we get a 3 wheeler for one-half to one-fourth of the cost of most of them. Ryde Safe and Enjoy:thumbup:
sabunim5 :doorag: