PDA

View Full Version : It DOES Exist!

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 08:21 AM
The "Low Fuel" light; of course! :D
During an attempt to see if I could light it up; I decided to try and "stretch the tank" a bit.
Well; I did get it to light up... BRIEFLY! :thumbup:
During a couple of decelerations for Stop Signs, I got to see that little warning light stick it's head out of it's normal hiding place...
At 214 miles, and once again at 219.2!
Each time; it went back out, and I re-fueled at 220.3 miles.
...Took 5.37 gallons: 41 mpg! :yes:

PMK
07-13-2015, 08:40 AM
Yes, I use it a lot and it makes the wife nervous...

We don't get as good of MPG as you, typically between 31 and 36. Two up all the time.

PK

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 09:24 AM
I'm split about 60/40; with the majority of riding being solo...:thumbup:

21 psi up front, and 28 psi in the rear sneaker...
The windshield in a lowered position, and the side adjustable vents set to the center position.

PMK
07-13-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm split about 60/40; with the majority of riding being solo...:thumbup:

21 psi up front, and 28 psi in the rear sneaker...
The windshield in a lowered position, and the side adjustable vents set to the center position.

ECO mode or not?

PK

BikerDoc
07-13-2015, 09:40 AM
That red light does tend to make some folks nervous. I feel like I am constantly stopping for gas since I ride so much so I never stop for gas until the red light comes on....
I ride 1 up about 90% and never get less than 40mph anymore. Got 45mph recently on 266 mile stretch of Blue Ridge Parkway

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 09:42 AM
ECO mode or not?

PK
I'm a strictly "Non-ECO" kind of guy... :D

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 09:44 AM
That red light does tend to make some folks nervous. I feel like I am constantly stopping for gas since I ride so much so I never stop for gas until the red light comes on....
I ride 1 up about 90% and never get less than 40mph anymore. Got 45mph recently on 266 mile stretch of Blue Ridge Parkway

Having watched the fuel gauge do it's dance for a while now, I sort of figured that I'd see the light come on under deceleration first...

Chupaca
07-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Glad you pushed the envelope a bit further and saw the one red eye winking at you. Mine comes with a chime as well to make sure I see him..:roflblack: that is great mpg's, I'm missing a cylinder and at best got 40 but mostly 30/33. so now you know and from previous posts you will never see him again..:roflblack:

Pampurrs
07-13-2015, 10:00 AM
I've been tracking and mathematically calculating my MPG since I picked up my Spyder nearly six weeks ago. So far I have been averaging 35 MPG. I wanted to push the "Low Fuel" light o see how far I could go. On the last tankful, it came on at 170 miles. I was in the city, so I pushed it to see if I could get to 200 miles. No such luck. the needle was buried at the E mark, so I pulled in and filled up at 184.8 miles. She took on 5.67 gallons, giving me 32.59 MPG on this tank. :gaah:

I am judicious about keeping my tires aired up, but I do ride very aggressively. 35 MPG is not bad for a vehicle that weighs over a thousand pounds. After all, I didn't choose the Spyder as my three-wheel ride for it's fuel efficiency. :trike:

Pam

Pampurrs
07-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Glad you pushed the envelope a bit further and saw the one red eye winking at you. Mine comes with a chime as well to make sure I see him..:roflblack: that is great mpg's, I'm missing a cylinder and at best got 40 but mostly 30/33. so now you know and from previous posts you will never see him again..:roflblack:

Seriously? Yours chimes??

Pam

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 10:04 AM
If mine did; I'd NEVER hear it over the music! :D

Chupaca
07-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Seriously? Yours chimes??

Pam

Only hear it when ryding solo with the music (scala G9) off. Live on a steep hill and if low going down will set it off but I am usually going to the station at the bottom of the hill anyway to tank up. Its a single chime cute but noticable...:thumbup:

Pampurrs
07-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Only hear it when ryding solo with the music (scala G9) off. Live on a steep hill and if low going down will set it off but I am usually going to the station at the bottom of the hill anyway to tank up. Its a single chime cute but noticable...:thumbup:

Now I'm going to have to listen for it :dg2:

Pam

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 11:01 AM
I'll listen for it ONLY it it can elbow it's way past Back Sabbath... :D

jcasey
07-13-2015, 11:14 AM
On my F3S the gas indicator (red pump) comes on when I drop to the last bar on gauge.

ARtraveler
07-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Another tale of the 998.

Went on a short ride yesterday--her tank was at 89 miles. The light went on at 155 and we refueled at 170.5. 5.2 gallons. 33 mpg. That's a couple mpg more than the usual 31. Perhaps this is a result of the recent lazer alignment--less running resistance?

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 12:36 PM
That is certainly a possibility. :thumbup:
It'll take less energy to push the bike straight ahead now! :yes:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-13-2015, 01:00 PM
by the title i thought you meant the m & m guys or santa claus

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 01:24 PM
...And so does he! :roflblack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iE8CJwXSPRs

robmorg
07-14-2015, 07:16 PM
The "Low Fuel" light; of course! :D
During an attempt to see if I could light it up; I decided to try and "stretch the tank" a bit.
Well; I did get it to light up... BRIEFLY! :thumbup:
During a couple of decelerations for Stop Signs, I got to see that little warning light stick it's head out of it's normal hiding place...
At 214 miles, and once again at 219.2!

I won't say that I'm envious... but I get the light at about HALF that many miles. ;)

I've stopped recording mpg, and now take the advise that some have posted and reset the "B" trip meter at fill-up. At 110 or 115, I start looking for a fuel stop. I'm going to start recording mpg again for a while after the recall, just out of curiosity to see if it changes.

Bob Denman
07-15-2015, 06:39 AM
:cheers: Here's to hoping, that as the temperatures go down; the fuel mileage goes UP! :cheers: :2thumbs:

(When I had my 2010; I would start looking for fuel at about 135 miles... that bike regularly got me 33 mpg/ It must be differences in our riding styles...)

PMK
07-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Consider also, in regards to mileage or efficiency, tire scrub from excessive toe in or toe out will keep the Spyder from rolling freely.

I am sure others will talk about tire pressures, low pressures with a bad alignment seems exponentially worse for mileage.

I would also suspect the harder compound rear tires will increase mileage also. With three efficient tires the mileage should be best since the harder fronts with good alignment will have the least amount of scrub.

If only it had a driveshaft or chain...

PK

robmorg
07-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Consider also, in regards to mileage or efficiency, tire scrub from excessive toe in or toe out will keep the Spyder from rolling freely..

I would also suspect the harder compound rear tires will increase mileage also. With three efficient tires the mileage should be best since the harder fronts with good alignment will have the least amount of scrub.

PK The tire compound is an interesting thought. My Spyder came with the soft compound OEM rear tire - the one they are no longer selling. It's pretty well shot at 7200 miles. I've got an sDrive waiting for me at Netzley tire after my bike comes out of the shop for the recall. Maybe between the recall, and the new tire, my MPG will improve a bit. (Although I still can't figure out how converting from a return fuel system to a deadhead system is going to improve mileage.)

robmorg
07-15-2015, 11:17 AM
:cheers: Here's to hoping, that as the temperatures go down; the fuel mileage goes UP! :cheers: :2thumbs:

(When I had my 2010; I would start looking for fuel at about 135 miles... that bike regularly got me 33 mpg/ It must be differences in our riding styles...) Thanks. And you are probably right. My Spyder rides fairly aggressively for an RT, and probably carries more weight than yours. ;)