PDA

View Full Version : Can-Am License

bobgeorge
07-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Took a Can-Am (3-wheel) course this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) and had a great time. By taking the class I was able to get my Virginia Motorcycle (M3) license.

During the class I rode a 2013 STS and it was fun to ride, but I think my goal is to buy a F3-S or RT Limited. Do other states have separate 3-wheel licenses or are they covered by regular motorcycle licenses?

Also, there were people in my class from Cleveland, OH and even Milwaukee. The lady from Cleveland said Virginia was the closest state where she could take a Can-Am class.

Are classes available in your area?

Thanks!

bmccaffrey
07-12-2015, 08:50 PM
I have an M in NY but except both also m3

bobgeorge
07-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Took a Can-Am (3-wheel) course this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) and had a great time. By taking the class I was able to get my Virginia Motorcycle (M3) license.

During the class I rode a 2013 STS and it was fun to ride, but I think my goal is to buy a F3-S or RT Limited. Do other states have separate 3-wheel licenses or are they covered by regular motorcycle licenses?

Also, there were people in my class from Cleveland, OH and even Milwaukee. The lady from Cleveland said Virginia was the closest state where she could take a Can-Am class.

Are classes available in your area?

Thanks!

Also, for areas that don't have classes....how do you guys learn how to drive them?

SNOOPY
07-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Also, for areas that don't have classes....how do you guys learn how to drive them?

Im in Va.

Bought my Spyder, got a learners permit, practiced in parking lots and back roads, went and passed the DMV test and got my license.

They make it a pain to do it legally.

bobgeorge
07-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Im in Va.

Bought my Spyder, got a learners permit, practiced in parking lots and back roads, went and passed the DMV test and got my license.

They make it a pain.

I took the class with the Motorcycle Safety Center of Virginia down in Ashland, VA.....same exit as Bass Pro Shop down 95 near Richmond Only $180...so a good price. Apex charges $350 at Potomac Mills in Woodbridge.

bobgeorge
07-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Im in Va.

They make it a pain.

Where did you buy your Can-Am?

SNOOPY
07-12-2015, 09:01 PM
But you spent an entire weekend?

I didn't have an entire weekend to take a course.

bobgeorge
07-12-2015, 09:09 PM
But you spent an entire weekend?

I didn't have an entire weekend to take a course.

Yes....it was 7:30-5:30..Saturday/Sunday. About 6 hours class room time and the rest riding the spyders. We took the written test and a riding test. It was fun just riding the Can-Ams...the license was just a bonus!

SNOOPY
07-12-2015, 09:26 PM
:thumbup:

MrBones
07-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Here in Arizona just a motorcycle license is required and from what I understand in California just a regular car one is all.

gkamer
07-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Depending on what you're riding you may or may not need a special endorsement.

If you have a…
You…

2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:

Is larger than 50cc
or
Can go faster than 30 mph

Need a 2-wheel endorsement (http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/getmoto.html)

Is 50cc or smaller
and
Has a maximum speed of 30 mph

Don’t need an endorsement

2-wheel motorcycle or scooter with a stabilizing conversion kit installed.
Need a 3-wheel endorsement (http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/gettrike.html)

Motorcycle with a sidecar

3-wheel trike

3-wheel vehicle with a seating area, safety belts, and a steering wheel

Pampurrs
07-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Here in Arizona you need a motorcycle endoresement to ride a trike or a Spyder. If it was up to me, a few years of motorcycle riding experience should be required first, but that's just me.

Pam

flaggerphil
07-12-2015, 09:56 PM
In Florida a 2 wheel endorsement will cover you on a Spyder (or any other trike/side car). However, you can get a 3 wheel only endorsement (which is what my wife did) through the state Motorcycle Safety Institute or some dealerships.

Chupaca
07-12-2015, 10:38 PM
here in CA you don't need an endorsment. It does vary state to state...the three wheeled classes are few and far between. Many just opt for a two wheel class. Those that can't handle using all their limbs and digits at the same time have to search three wheel classes out. There must be a chart on this somewhere..:gaah:

Pampurrs
07-12-2015, 10:56 PM
here in CA you don't need an endorsment. It does vary state to state...the three wheeled classes are few and far between. Many just opt for a two wheel class. Those that can't handle using all their limbs and digits at the same time have to search three wheel classes out. There must be a chart on this somewhere..:gaah:

I'm amazed that the same state that's so adamant about wearing helmets, is so lax about riding trikes. :gaah:They're letting people out on the roads without any safety education about riding a motorcycle. Anyone who rides a trike should have to go through the same training and testing as a motorcycle rider. I'll never understand the logic here.

Pam

tobor9
07-12-2015, 11:20 PM
No endorsement needed in South Carolina:yes:

Pampurrs
07-12-2015, 11:47 PM

That's insane..... completely idiotic.

Pam

Chupaca
07-13-2015, 01:02 AM
The key word is logic....lol

SNOOPY
07-13-2015, 05:04 AM

Thats how it should be.

Ive had a drivers license almost 35 years yet the state thinks I need another for a motorcycle? :banghead:

Bob Denman
07-13-2015, 07:06 AM
I'm amazed that the same state that's so adamant about wearing helmets, is so lax about riding trikes. :gaah:They're letting people out on the roads without any safety education about riding a motorcycle. Anyone who rides a trike should have to go through the same training and testing as a motorcycle rider. I'll never understand the logic here.

They call that, "Darwinism"... :D

Kwalsh
07-13-2015, 07:15 AM
in NY if you take test on a 3 wheel motorcycle then they give you a 3 wheel only restriction and there arent any can am only classes around and i am not sure if MSF offers the class to them ??

jcasey
07-13-2015, 07:36 AM
I don't know of any state that requires a 3 wheel around Alabama.:thumbup:

viperryder
07-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Here is Ohio, if you have a two wheel license, it will allow you to ryde a three wheel vehicle. But if you get a three wheel license it will not allow you to ryde a two wheel vehicle. GWRRA in Ohio has a three wheel or Trike class, which cost $30 and is a one day class, 4 hour class and 4 hour parking lot drill.

Brettssunshine
07-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Pennsylvania has a 3 wheel safety course in York. I'm signed up for the one at the end of August. They fill very quickly. I had to be online and logged in at 9:00a.m. when the registration opened in order to get a guaranteed spot. :yikes: I believe they only have a couple of them a year. If you take this course and pass, you are only given a 3 wheel motorcycle license.

The regular motorcycle safety course is held almost every weekend in a couple of places around Lancaster. It fills very quickly too.

Brettssunshine
07-13-2015, 08:08 AM
Here is Ohio, if you have a two wheel license, it will allow you to ryde a three wheel vehicle. But if you get a three wheel license it will not allow you to ryde a two wheel vehicle. GWRRA in Ohio has a three wheel or Trike class, which cost $30 and is a one day class, 4 hour class and 4 hour parking lot drill.

Wow, that's a nice, short class. In PA, all of the safety courses are free. The 2 wheel class provides the motorcycle and helmet for you but in the 3 wheel class, you have to provide the motorcycle. The two wheel course is 8 hours of classroom with a written test and 10 hours of riding drills with a riding test at the end which includes the dreaded "box" maneuver.

gkamer
07-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Wow, that's a nice, short class. In PA, all of the safety courses are free. The 2 wheel class provides the motorcycle and helmet for you but in the 3 wheel class, you have to provide the motorcycle. The two wheel course is 8 hours of classroom with a written test and 10 hours of riding drills with a riding test at the end which includes the dreaded "box" maneuver.

What is the box maneuver?

Pampurrs
07-13-2015, 09:39 AM
I am absoultely appalled that there are states that don't require motorcycle endorsements!

Hurling down the road at 70 mph while sitting on a saddle and holding on to handlebars is quite different from driving a car. The skills and knowledge needed are different. It doesn't matter if you are on 2 or 3 wheels, the risk is the same, and the extra skills needed are vital. The reason for the motorcycle endorsement is to ensure that you have an understanding of the many skills needed to operate safely. Those states that allow people to just hop onto a motorcycle or a trike without passing a motorcycle skills test are irresponsible IMO.

Even if you live in one of those irresponsible states, you should spend the couple of hundred dollars to take a MSF approved motorcycle course. It could save your life.:lecturef_smilie:

Pam

missouriboy
07-13-2015, 01:14 PM
What is the box maneuver?You enter a painted box at low speed and turn a slow figure-8 without touching the ground with your feet, or letting a tire go outside the box. (Useful for 2-wheel testing only.)
And the box is only 4x8 feet! :gaah:

No, just kidding, it's probably more like 10x20 feet... but it's still quite difficult. I managed it twice during practice exercises but failed in the final test, due to excessive "lash" in the driveline of the (furnished) 125cc Kawasaki. The rough, back-and-forth bucking of this lash made me get outside the box a little bit on one of the turns.
But I passed the overall test OK. :yes:

bobgeorge
07-13-2015, 05:38 PM

If you have a…
You…

Is larger than 50cc
or

Is 50cc or smaller
and

3-wheel trike

Washington rules look similar to Virginia. Do they offer 3-wheel classes?

bobgeorge
07-13-2015, 05:58 PM

I think the lady in my class already had a two-wheel license, but she just wanted to take a 3-wheel class to get some knowledge/experience.

whitjim10
07-13-2015, 06:06 PM
I have a motorcycle enforcement but in south carolina to drive a canam spyder all you need is a motor vehicle license.

Dan McNally
07-13-2015, 06:19 PM
I took the Apex class in Woodbridge VA in July of 2013.

I already had my license, but it had been so many years since I rode, that I thought a class would be a good idea.

I learned a lot from the class, and feel the cost of the class plus the three nights at the Hampton Inn in Woodbridge was well worth the expense.

Brettssunshine
07-13-2015, 06:35 PM
What is the box maneuver?

It is being able to perform the figure 8 on your 2 wheel motorcycle within a lined box slightly larger than 2 parking spaces.

bobgeorge
07-13-2015, 06:40 PM
I took the Apex class in Woodbridge VA in July of 2013.

I already had my license, but it had been so many years since I rode, that I thought a class would be a good idea.

I learned a lot from the class, and feel the cost of the class plus the three nights at the Hampton Inn in Woodbridge was well worth the expense.

Cool. I have rode by and saw people taking the class in the mall parking lot.

IWN2RYD
07-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Washington State requires the 3wheeled license to be it's own and we have quite a few companies offering (Or at least we did when we got our license) throughout the year that offered classes and testing...

Deanna777
07-13-2015, 07:34 PM
in NY if you take test on a 3 wheel motorcycle then they give you a 3 wheel only restriction and there arent any can am only classes around and i am not sure if MSF offers the class to them ??In Vermont I took a motorcycle coarse, it was on the week day ( Friday night written test, Sat. / Sunday driving, and it rained ) I rode 2 wheeled motorcycles that they provided, passed, then bought a 2012 RTS-SE5 took the driving test passed, and got my license.

When I went to take the driving test with my can am spyder, I was the last one to go, the other people had 2 wheeled motorcycles.

I got a M endorsement on my license and I also have a 3 wheel Restriction Card that Must carry with me at all times. Deanna

SNOOPY
07-13-2015, 07:40 PM
I am absoultely appalled that there are states that don't require motorcycle endorsements!

Hurling down the road at 70 mph while sitting on a saddle and holding on to handlebars is quite different from driving a car. The skills and knowledge needed are different. It doesn't matter if you are on 2 or 3 wheels, the risk is the same, and the extra skills needed are vital. The reason for the motorcycle endorsement is to ensure that you have an understanding of the many skills needed to operate safely. Those states that allow people to just hop onto a motorcycle or a trike without passing a motorcycle skills test are irresponsible IMO.

Even if you live in one of those irresponsible states, you should spend the couple of hundred dollars to take a MSF approved motorcycle course. It could save your life.:lecturef_smilie:

Pam

I disagree, how do you know what people's abilities are?

DMV testing should weed out who can or cannot handle it, just like a car license.

And as w a car license, people hone their skills over time.

Ive driven/ridden all types of vehicle over the last almost 35 years and found myself very capable of driving a Spyder. I'm sure there are others just as capable.

Testing...of course.

Forced to take a course?...no :(

Deanna777
07-13-2015, 07:45 PM

DMV testing should weed out who can or cannot handle it, just like a car license.

Ive driven/ridden all types of vehicle over the last almost 35 years and found myself very capable of driving a Spyder. I'm sure there are others just as capable.

Testing...of course.

Forced to take a course?...no :(:agree: Deanna

Pampurrs
07-13-2015, 07:49 PM

Testing...of course.

Forced to take a course?...no :(

Not forced to take a course. Just take a motorcycle safety and skills test. If you're as good as you say you are, you don't need to worry about passing it. Here in Arizona they don't require that you take a course, just pass the test to get an endoresment.

A class never hurt anyone though. I've taken several advanced classes just to be as good as I possibly can. You can learn a lot in those classes. Well worth the money.

I just can't believe any state would just let people buy a motorcycle and go play in traffic without any skills. I'm appalled.

Pam

SNOOPY
07-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I see people on new bikes all the time that don't have a clue. In our state they make a licensed driver ride NEXT TO OR NEAR YOU if you're on your learners permit. Now that's just crazy lol

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-13-2015, 10:46 PM
I got my Learners Permit on a Wednesday, bought my Spyder on Saturday. Riding two and a half hours home on the interstate was the first time I had ever been on a bike. Got my license on Tuesday. Start to finish 7 days total. When taking the license test, the examiner had never given a test to anyone on a Spyder and didn't have a clue how to test me. He started laying out the cones about 4 feet apart and I looked at him like, are you kidding me. He finally picked them up and tried to do the test. I was able to do about half the normal test, and that was it.

Riding the Spyder felt very natural to me and I didn't have any problems. If you feel you need to take a course, by all means, take one. But having some basic logic abilities is all I feel you really need. I can kick most motorcyclists that I ride with a#@ on the twisties, and I didn't need a course to teach me that.

flaggerphil
07-14-2015, 01:24 AM

Well, that's kinda the whole point. Much safer to take the MSI course...and that does a darned good job of weeding out people who shouldn't be on bikes before they kill themselves or someone else.

IMHO.

ronrico
07-14-2015, 01:26 AM
I have a motorcycle endorsement left over from my two wheel days. But Nevada just passed a new law that sypders not longer need to have a motorcycle endorsement. Just a regular driver license is required. Also with this new law riders of sypders do not have to wear helmets. This all went into effect on may 15, 2015.

SNOOPY
07-14-2015, 05:27 AM
I got my Learners Permit on a Wednesday, bought my Spyder on Saturday. Riding two and a half hours home on the interstate was the first time I had ever been on a bike. Got my license on Tuesday. Start to finish 7 days total. When taking the license test, the examiner had never given a test to anyone on a Spyder and didn't have a clue how to test me. He started laying out the cones about 4 feet apart and I looked at him like, are you kidding me. He finally picked them up and tried to do the test. I was able to do about half the normal test, and that was it.

Riding the Spyder felt very natural to me and I didn't have any problems. If you feel you need to take a course, by all means, take one. But having some basic logic abilities is all I feel you really need. I can kick most motorcyclists that I ride with a#@ on the twisties, and I didn't need a course to teach me that.

In Va , you have to hold your learners permit 30 days before DMV lets you take the test. :(

I was also the first to take the new 3 wheel course in our area and the lady had no clue.

Also, they use to do the driving part at our local DMVs but there isn't enough room for a Spyder so they have a central location for this now...and its 40 mins away! :gaah:

I was a little worried going there because I was supposed to follow a licensed rider there...like I knew another rider? Nothing was ever said though.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-14-2015, 07:20 AM
In NC, permit allows you do ride anywhere, at anytime, as long as you don't ride 2 up. I was surprised but I wasnt complaining. I actually passed the driver test before i had gotten my permit in the mail.

mygirlpb
08-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Hey !!! New to the forum - new Spyder owner.....New cycle "driver"....always a "rider"......Would love to find a course where I could learn about the bike and get my motorcycle endorsement license....I have my permit and have been "practicing" on rural roads......does anyone know of such a course in NC ?

azcpl85711
08-07-2015, 11:07 AM
After having the Spyder for three months, the wife now wants to learn to ride. She never had an interest on two wheels, she was happy being a passenger. I checked into a safety course for her, which Arizona now has a three wheel course. The two wheel course is $289.00, runs 16 hours, and they supply the motorcycle. The three wheel course is $489.00, runs 12 hours, and you have to supply your own bike. The math doesn't add up in my head. I am sending her to the two wheel course and then I will assist her on the Spyder. If she loves it I may have to go out and buy another one for me, poor me! F3?

Bob Denman
08-07-2015, 11:25 AM
:shocked: I sense that the infestation in your garage may be growing... :spyder2::spyder2: :2thumbs:

hdlongrod
08-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Two is good..... We have two Spyders and a two wheeler. :spyder2:

HIspyder
08-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Here in Arizona you need a motorcycle endoresement to ride a trike or a Spyder. If it was up to me, a few years of motorcycle riding experience should be required first, but that's just me.

Pam

Hawaii is the same and I couldn't agree more with you last statement. :thumbup:

JayBros
08-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Hey !!! New to the forum - new Spyder owner.....New cycle "driver"....always a "rider"......Would love to find a course where I could learn about the bike and get my motorcycle endorsement license....I have my permit and have been "practicing" on rural roads......does anyone know of such a course in NC ?

I have not been able to find a three wheel course readily available in NC. Only information I could dig up was outdated.

Take the regular MSF course from your local community college. That will free you from having to take the road test for your permanent motorcycle endorsement and will get you a break on your insurance rate.

azcpl85711
08-07-2015, 01:36 PM
I can definitely see a new F3 parked next to the RT.

NDSU78
08-07-2015, 11:21 PM

If you have a…
You…

Is larger than 50cc
or

Is 50cc or smaller
and

3-wheel trike

Like Greg said, you need a separate 3 wheel endorsement in WA. Having ridden two wheelers for years, after buying a Spyder this week I understand why they want a separate endorsement. To me it is more like riding a quad than a motorcycle.
they offer trike classes at Westside Motorsports and Lone Wolf Harley Davidson in Spokane.

sidecars
08-08-2015, 01:02 AM
I took this course, and it was superb. Sidecars big and small, a trike and a couple Spyders. Pretty cheap, too.

http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org/sidecar-training/

Rained like crazy one of the days I went, though!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113171&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113170&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113172&stc=1

Raknid
08-08-2015, 06:54 AM
In NJ, if you have an MC license you can drive a three-wheeler. If you don't, you can get a three-wheel restricted license. My wife as no intention of riding two wheels so she took the two-day MSF three-wheel course and has the three-wheel endorsement. The two-day length is the same as folks getting a two-wheel license. Neither means your a now done learning.... just safe enough to get on the road and start learning.

I have no idea why one should need to have an MC license for a couple years before riding a three wheeler. I think some would argue the reverse if anything.

Brettssunshine
08-08-2015, 07:39 AM
PA offers the class; I take mine in 2 weeks. We also have the two motorcycle license types (M and M3).

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Please let us know the content of the Pennsylvania course; once you've got it tucked under your belt.
Good Luck! :thumbup:

LoveMyRyde
08-08-2015, 08:37 AM
If someone lives in a state where an endorsement is not required would they have to get an endorsement to ryde through states that require one? :dontknow:

beadaholic
08-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Even if I wanted to I could not take a course on motorcycle riding. We just don't have it here. Not even for car driving. I see 1,000s of people on motorcycles of all types and they do ok, nothing fabulous but they do ok overall. I have seen very few if any accidents. It is mostly cars. Sure in an ideal world this would be the best scenario all together but what about in my situation? I have ridden now for about 1400 miles on my new Spyder and have not had a mishap (and hope never to have one) I have rode in heavy traffic (sorta like NY City driving) and on easy rural roads which I prefer. I watch alot of videos and try and learn any way I can. Do I know it all, NOPE I don't, am I learning and becoming more proficient, YES! Mexico City is no piece of cake! :yikes:

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 09:26 AM
If someone lives in a state where an endorsement is not required would they have to get an endorsement to ryde through states that require one? :dontknow:
Although I'm certainly NOT a legal expert; I believe not.
There are agreements of reciprocity between all of the States. As you as you comply with requirements in your own; you're good to go, in all of the others! :thumbup:

wiredgeorge
08-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Not sure if this has been brought up but most motorcyclists who have been riding safely for any length of time have developed situational awareness and street skills which allow them to avoid distracted cage drivers. A motorcycle course or trike course won't install these habits. As I recall, most motorcycle fatalities other than those that are alcohol related happen in the first year of riding. Consider that many of the deaths were kids with lightening reflexes who had a good grasp of how to operate a bike BUT had not developed the sixth sense that allowed them to sniff out impending danger. I worry that so many folks with a bit of disposable income are buying Spyders (and 2 wheel bikes as well) for the first time and have spent many years behind the wheel of a cage learning how to text, shave, read the paper and generally let their mind go vacant rather than learn a little caution (fear) from riding a motorcycle on the street. I doubt many of the folks will have much trouble learning how to drive a Spyder with a single linked brake pedal and a paddle semi-auto shifter. No balancing skills are needed and the controls are fairly intuitive if you are a long time cage driver. Where the lack comes in is the sixth sense needed to keep from being tee-boned... maybe I shouldn't call it Spydie Sense but all you new riders; welcome to the road but please be aware that the cagers out there require you to think for them!

Bob Denman
08-08-2015, 05:41 PM
:agree: Courses will get you "legal"... :D
Time spent in the saddle; makes you smarter! :thumbup: