PDA

View Full Version : IS IT OIL OR BRAKE FLUID- 2010 RT SM5

spydersino
07-12-2015, 10:53 AM
After a good hard ride i had spotted a leak directly inward from the brake pedal. Dealer
said that my valve cover gaskets were leaking..he replaced both. $170.!!! still leaking.
I noticed that this fluid is comming from the seam where the plastic shield joins the metal
shield.dealer claims that it was oil but could it be brake fluid?..I only see the leak after the
bike is parked and after 5 mins i get a huge drop.
What do you guys think?

Thanks..Phil

2dogs
07-12-2015, 12:08 PM
NO, seriously I'm only joking DON'T DO THAT. However you can put some on your finger and smell it. Oil and brake fluid do not smell the same. Check your car's brake fluid reservoir to compare brake fluid odor (it's easier to get to than you spyder reservoir) and use your spyder's oil dip stick for oil odor comparison. Hope this helps.

Chupaca
07-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Had a similar issue a while back and the fine folks here informed me that the fluid caps have vents that should face the high side to keep the fluid from leaking out. When it does it runs down to where you mention your leak is. The level is tricky and not much to make the difference. Too much and it leaks to little and you get warning lights...let us know what you find. Engine oil cooled will be thicker than brake fluid...:thumbup:

Orange Spyder Man
07-12-2015, 01:54 PM
... put your finger in what ever is leaking.. rub it between your finger & thumb... oil is slicker than brake fluid.. your dealer owes you $170 go back and collect your money..

osm