PDA

View Full Version : 4" Riser, I'm still debating.....

sleepman
12-28-2008, 05:08 PM
I have no question after seeing how many are using these that they are a quality product and obviously dealing with NMN isn't a concern either. However it involves cutting down my handlebars and so my main question is has anyone who has put the risers on regretted it? If you didn't like the ride after the riser install what didn't you like? Just looking for a little decision making help before I order and install these.

mike3069
12-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Absolutely this is the most beneficial thing I have done to make my spyder a more enjoyable experience. This should be the way they come IMHO.

mrb
12-28-2008, 05:48 PM
No regrets at all. I would not like to ride a Spyder without them. I have the 3" on top of the 1" BRP riser.:2thumbs:

Jeff in Dallas
12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I would have to try it before I would modify mine. I don't mind the ride position now and also don't like the way the risers look. Only if they GREATLY improved the ride would I consider it.

I would like to try them, though.

IMRU3
12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
You can always replace the bar if you would truly regret it later on. But speaking on behalf of those who have done it, I love it. I have no regrets whatsoever. Let us know what you think of it when you add the risers, because until then, you would not know what you are missing and the difference in the ride...:D.... and it's all 100% better.

Trickie Dick
12-28-2008, 06:33 PM
My question is, what size person is supposed to benefit? tall or short???

RTGENE
12-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Not only dose it feel good it looks good.

Lamonster
12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
My question is, what size person is supposed to benefit? tall or short???

Yes :D
You can move them back or forward. I have mine more forward than most as I like the stretch a little more than most.

Not only dose it feel good it looks good.
:agree: When I see a Spyder without risers on now it looks funny to me. The look grows on you for sure.:spyder:

GI Jane
12-28-2008, 06:46 PM
:agree: The risers made a world of difference in the ride. I rode @ 2 weeks before I put them on and I'm certainly glad I did.

effgjamis
12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I have no question after seeing how many are using these that they are a quality product and obviously dealing with NMN isn't a concern either. However it involves cutting down my handlebars and so my main question is has anyone who has put the risers on regretted it? If you didn't like the ride after the riser install what didn't you like? Just looking for a little decision making help before I order and install these.

Go ahead and install, but curtail the cutting off the orginial bars until you can make the decision yourself.

My two penny's worth.
Happy Holidays

MSGTDOC
12-28-2008, 07:26 PM
I HAVE THE NMN RISERS AND HAVE BEEN RUNNING THEM FOR MONTHS AND I STILL HAVEN'T CUT THE STOCK BARS OFF YET. I'M TRYING TO DECIDE IF I WANT TO MOUNT MY SPEAKERS ON THEM OR NOT. NO BIG DEAL. LEAVE THEM ON UNTILL YOU DECIDE IF YOU LIKE THE RISERS.

steven888
12-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I have to say that I don't like the way it looks with the 4 inch riser. It looks like a cruiser and I think the sporty racer look is way better.I think it was designed to look sleek and fast. That's why I did not buy a harley or cruiser of any kind. I do have the one inch riser and it works well but it also still looks the way it did with out it. To each his own

Magic Man
12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
I too like the boy racer look the Spyder came with. :2thumbs:

However, being the "Offical Old Fart" that I am now, compaired to my 20 year old body. I found it was no good looking "cool" if I could only ride 20 minutes before my hands fell asleep or my hips hurt from the way too far forward reach for me. :(

As in everything in life there is a compromise, looks or comfort. If I still had my 20 year old body, who knows if we'd ever have made these in the first place? :dontknow:

But, now at 49 all I can say is my old bones sure like the fit much better with them. :clap:

The stock bars can be left full length if you like, to ether try the risers out or just leave them there to put other options on them.

Even if you cut the bars and want to switch back to stock bars they are only about $65 or so. So, nothing is "forever" if you put them on ether way.

However, comfort aside, the Spyders handles 100% better with these too. reason is without all your weight on your hands and arms you can turn the bars easier and faster making the Spyder much more responsive and quicker turning. You have to ride one with risers to understand this first hand.

Ask anyone whio runs a set and they will tell you that the handling improvment is almost as much of a benefit as the comfort is.

You really need to ride a Spyder with these to fully understand this as it's that much of a differance.

But of course I'm a bit bias. :D

MM

sleepman
12-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Excellent responses to my question and it seems everyone who replied that is using the risers likes the risers.

For me it's not a question of looks, I've seen them on a Spyder and really don't feel like they look too out of place. I'm an everyday rider and on the weekends it's no uncommon to ride 400 miles in a day just to hang out with friends. I had an almost 300 mile ride today just to eat lunch with some buddies and then race back home for the Dolphins game.:2thumbs: so comfort for the long rides is of up most importance for me.

If I do order them then I'll leave the bars at full length at least until I get a test ride under my belt.

Hey Magic Man, when it comes to installing them can I get away without using a torque wrench?

IMRU3
12-28-2008, 09:15 PM
I too like the boy racer look the Spyder came with. :2thumbs:

However, being the "Offical Old Fart" that I am now, compaired to my 20 year old body. I found it was no good looking "cool" if I could only ride 20 minutes before my hands fell asleep or my hips hurt from the way too far forward reach for me. :(

As in everything in life there is a compromise, looks or comfort. If I still had my 20 year old body, who knows if we'd ever have made these in the first place? :dontknow:

But, now at 49 all I can say is my old bones sure like the fit much better with them. :clap:

The stock bars can be left full length if you like, to ether try the risers out or just leave them there to put other options on them.

Even if you cut the bars and want to switch back to stock bars they are only about $65 or so. So, nothing is "forever" if you put them on ether way.

However, comfort aside, the Spyders handles 100% better with these too. reason is without all your weight on your hands and arms you can turn the bars easier and faster making the Spyder much more responsive and quicker turning. You have to ride one with risers to understand this first hand.

Ask anyone whio runs a set and they will tell you that the handling improvment is almost as much of a benefit as the comfort is.

You really need to ride a Spyder with these to fully understand this as it's that much of a differance.

But of course I'm a bit bias. :D

MM

MM might be bias but he is right on the money with the results. It took me a long time before I decided to purchase one (reasons being: looks vs comfort; accessories that I wanted to add vs. comfort), but in the end I chose what the rest of the unbiased review from other spyder owners who purchased the risers. The Spyder to me still looks very sporty and still looks a snowmobile on wheels even with the risers :D. But, the handling with the turns brings a lot more ease and comfort.

LDFIREWORKS
12-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I HAVE THEM ON FOR A WHILE NOW AND LOVE THEM, I HAVE A FEW SPORT BIKES FOR THAT LAY DOWN FEELING, DO IT YOULL LIKE IT:sour::joke::yes::yes::yes:

bone crusher
12-28-2008, 11:22 PM
I have the 1" BRP risers and that's good for me...I'm 6'1" and I'm comfy...can keep the back straight (which is very, very important), and can tuck if it's windy/cold.

I know many here love the 3 and 4 inch risers...for me, I'm happy with the 1"...doesn't sound like much, but it does make things better...also, it doesn't change the look of the bike, if you're concerned about your handlebars...

Perhaps start with the 1" and go up if you desire more or want a different look...

Fun2
12-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Santa brought me a set of MN risers, I will put them on before summer (warm) weather. I also got a bunch of other lights and a windshield for X-mas also. If you put the list out in the open someone will find it. Just need time to install all of the stuff.

zzneonzz
12-29-2008, 05:14 AM
I don't have any experience with the NMN risers but i have the 5" Kewlmetal and love them adding the risers was by far the best mod i installed to date.

Magic Man
12-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Hey Magic Man, when it comes to installing them can I get away without using a torque wrench?

Just like Lamonster, I have never. ever in my whole life ever torqued a nut or bolt without a torque wrench. ;)

So, I would not ever tell you, or more importantly your lawyer to not use one here. :D

MM

Lamonster
12-29-2008, 08:29 AM
My torque wrench was built into my arm at birth. nojoke

NancysToy
12-29-2008, 10:28 AM
My torque wrench was built into my arm at birth. nojoke
That explains those numbers printed down the side. LOL
-Scotty

tatt2r
12-29-2008, 10:57 AM
i posted the same thing months ago ... the only reply bad reply i got back was from someone who didnt like that not only does it raise them but it makes them wider but that was one person everyone else seems to really like them ...myself i like factory position with 1 inch factory riser