PDA

View Full Version : Great day for 25K- Year in review

Lamonster
12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
12-27-08 was the day I officially broke 25K on my Spyder. I picked up my Spyder 12-14-07 so it's been just over a year now.
:clickpic:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=488&albumid=21&dl=1230473078&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=488)

It was the perfect day for a ride and the bikes were out in force like bees on a newly bloomed flower. It's been pretty cold and wet here in East TN and today it was 70+ with blue sky's. You couldn't ask for a better day. An added bonus was gas was $1.39 to $1.46 depending on what town I was in.

I started my ride a little late so I didn't get to leave the house till about 11:30am and I had to be back home to meet a friend of mine by 3:30pm. That limited my time and if I was going to brake 25K today I needed to plan this trip just right.

I decided to take a run out to Shady Valley or what is known as "The Snake". 411 curves in about 12 miles with a store that makes the best hamburgers. Lots of curves on this one and it was just over 80 miles from my place.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=489&albumid=15&dl=1230477067&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=489)http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=490&albumid=15&dl=1230477067&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=490)

The ride there was great. The Spyder did well on the twisties and even though the roads were wet in areas I never even slowed down from the pace I had on the dry roads. The Spyder rides as if it was on rails.

Got to the store and ordered up a burger and fries and as soon as I sat down to eat I had to play 21 questions. One of the best things I did was to make up a bunch of SpyderLovers.com cards to hand out. That doesn't stop the questions but it will slow them down a bit.

When I pulled into the store I was 3.7 miles short of my 25K and as I headed back I wanted to get a picture of it turning 25K but there was nowhere to pull off and take the shot so I missed it by a couple of miles.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=491&albumid=21&dl=1230477899&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=491)

The ride back was uneventful but it did give me some time to reflect on the 25K I spent in the saddle on the Spyder this year and I thought I would share that with you all. It's going to be long so you may want to stop now if you don't have the time.
------------------------------------------------------

I first saw the Spyder on one of my boards and it was love at first sight. I loved the pics and I saw a video that really had me drooling over this ride. I had sold my VTX and I was looking for something to replace it with. At the time there was nothing that really grabbed me like the Spyder. I showed my wife the video I saw of the Spyder and she said "I would ride that". That was all it took before the wheels were in motion.

I started searching for dealers in my area and at the time there was no dealers in Tennessee and I had to look elsewhere. The dealers had a first run allocation and pretty much every dealer I called had sold out their first allocation. I did find a dealer in Tampa that had three left in their allocation so I sent them a check and got on the list. I told my buddy Ron that I had just ordered a Spyder and after he looked at all the tech specs on it he decided he wanted one too and two days later he placed his order. I placed my order June 7th I believe and it wasn't till Biketoberfest in October before I saw my first Spyder in the flesh. I ordered it sight unseen.

I got the call from my dealer 12-13-07 that my Spyder was in and flew out to Tampa from East TN on the 15th to pick it up and ride it back home. This trip should have been about 700 miles but somehow I added another 100 or so to it.

First day I did 200 miles on the Spyder and the buyers remorse had started to set in. I was thinking I just made a $17000+ mistake. I'm a motorcycle guy and I was trying to ride this thing like a motorcycle. I was all over the road on it and I figured I was going to kill myself before I ever made it home. That night was a little ruff but then I had a realization that the Spyder was much more like riding my KFX700 than it was a motorcycle. If got the motorcycle thing out on my head and thought fourwheeler maybe that would help. That was the ticket as the next 600 miles home was a real pleasure.

One thing I found was the Spyder was very senstive to your input. The harder you hang on the more you're going to be all over the road. I found that if I just relaxed the Spyder would pretty much steer itself.

I've owned a lot of cool rides in the past. I had a custom Harley FXR, a Supercharged/Nitrous Honda Valkyrie, a full on custom VTX Pro Street Chopper, a bad to the bone small block Boss Hoss and a full custom Suzuki M109R. All of thes bikes have been in the magizines except for the Harley and the Suzuki even had a cover shot in Bikers 2000. I say this to say that none of these bikes have drawn the attention of my bone stock Spyder. It's not stock now but when it was it still drew a crowd more than any of my custom show bikes. If you're not a people person I wouldn't buy a Spyder. The Spyder makes you an instant Rockstar, like it or not.

One of the first comments I got about me getting a Spyder from my Goldwing members was the Spyder wasn't good for more than a 150 mile day. My first priorty was to prove them wrong on that point. My first day on the Spyder was 200 miles and my second day was 600 miles. I've taken many day trips that were over 700 miles and my longest day trip to date was 1170 miles in 19 hours. That was on my trip out to Sturgis and then to San Diego. That was longer than any of my motorcycle day trips.

The Spyder has been pretty much trouble free other than self inflected wounds. I have a bad habit of modding my rides and a few of those have come back to bite me. The mods I have to date all seem to be working well. I've made the Spyder my own and comfort wise it's as good as it gets for me.

I've been all over this country and even to the Spyder factory in Canada and the reaction has been universal, people love the Spyder. From kids to the mature in age, the Spyder has somehow bridged a gap that no other open air vehicle has been able to do. It's cool to the non bike riders and it's cool with the hardcore bike riders. It's opened the doors to those who have had physical limitations and put them back in the wind and given them one more thing to live for, and that's to ride their Spyder.

I'm not sure where the Spyder is headed and I'm not sure if the Spyder Team knew what a great product they produced but I am glad to be in on the ground floor of this revolutionary product and I hope to be on a Spyder for many more years to come.

It's been a great 25K BRP, thanks for everything.

frleo
12-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I ordered my spYder before finding any of the forums. However, before taking delivery, I found the two main forums and thanks to Lamonster and other early owners on the forums, I had learned how to approach this fantastic machine. I've loved it from the first mile and the affair continues.
Accumulating 25K miles is a tribute to Lamont and BPR. What a great milepost, and impressive year for all spYder rYders.:clap:

---leo--- (50F here today, but ice all over and 40mph winds)

SpyderRider2492
12-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Congrats to you, wow 25,000 miles, and in all weathers too. Thanks for all the help and effort you put into Spyderlovers.com a really great and helpful website, 25,000 miles and a good burger what could be better.:congrats:

Peoriafirefighter
12-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Congrats on reaching 25K. I'm just half way there, but I didn't pick mine up until June, 2008. I flew to Miami and rode it back to Peoria, Illinois in 2 days. I also drove it to Sturgis and you are right, I bet more pictures were taken of the Spyder than any other bike or any other scenic site. It was great seeing you at Sturgis. I bought the Spyder for my wife to ride. I have a custom chopper. I loved the Spyder so much that I bought a second one so we each could ride a Spyder at the same time. Now the Chopper is only for bike shows. We look forward to coming to Gatlinburg next Sept 21-25,2009, and hope to rdie with you.
Good Luck in the coming year!

bjt
12-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Congrats on your 25K lamonster.

sleepman
12-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Congrats on the 25k, nice write up. I've had 8k happy miles in the 5 months I've owned mine. :2thumbs:

ataDude
12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Congrats, Lamont!

Spyderman62
12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Congratulations on 25K Lamont, you are an inspiration to us all. Thanks for the site, and the info you continue to share. Happy 2009 to you!:clap:

BRPjunkie
12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
For someone stuck on 2,500 miles in the depths of Michigan's winter, I can only dream of some day reaching the 25k milestone. Thanks for the high mileage road test and for helping so many of us find answers to our questions. Owning a Spyder has been a great experience, but this forum has been a big part of the fun.:clap::clap::clap:

IMRU3
12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Very nice and personal documentary, Lamont. I feel that this forum has been looking up to you not just a leader of this website but a rider with a lot of heart. Congratulations on your 25K and your dedication in your work.

babyanlee
12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Thank you &:congrats: on your 25k. Were close to 2,500 since late August.:cheers:

NancysToy
12-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I salute you and your 25K. You are an inspiration to us all. Delightful story...well done. Keep up the good work.
-Scotty

spydsense
12-28-2008, 08:42 PM
:congrats: on 25,000 miles and thanks for the write-up. We do look for your input on all that is spyder.

My :spyder:is in the shop for the 6,000 mile check-up and I am still all smiles riding her....:2excited::yes:

smokster
12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Very nice and personal documentary, Lamont. I feel that this forum has been looking up to you not just a leader of this website but a rider with a lot of heart. Congratulations on your 25K and your dedication in your work.
DITTO

retread
12-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Congratulations on your 25 K, and thanks for this site, best one I've found. I'm going to try to catch up with you a little next year.

john

FANG
12-28-2008, 09:26 PM
:congrats: on your 25K Lamont. Thanks for all the great work with the forum. It is because of you and all the great input from everyone that I have a great ryde and a much better understanding of how to prepare, modify adn ryde :spyder:. You are the man!! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-040.GIF http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/respect-055.gif

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/king-033.gif

LDFIREWORKS
12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
:2excited::spyder::b2b:
:2thumbs::2thumbs:

8LEGS
12-28-2008, 11:29 PM
:congrats::clap::b2b:

SpyderByter
12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Congrats on the 25k and thanks for all the helpful info you have provided the rest of us through your journey getting there.

Smylinacha
12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
:thumbup:

spyder3rdr
12-29-2008, 06:43 PM
a well deserved :congrats: for the first Lover ... and the first 25K :2thumbs:

Lowflyingowl
12-29-2008, 09:31 PM
congratulations on the 25K

The Spyder is way more fun than my VTX. Guess I'll be follwing your lead and selling the VTX soon.

Thanks for your years with the VTXOA board. And now the SpyderLovers board is even better!

Ride on!:2thumbs:

ataDude
12-29-2008, 09:38 PM
congratulations on the 25K

The Spyder is way more fun than my VTX. Guess I'll be follwing your lead and selling the VTX soon.

Thanks for your years with the VTXOA board. And now the SpyderLovers board is even better!

Ride on!:2thumbs:

Now isn't that a co-inky-dink.

Do you remember me from over there?

Or some of my creations - the seat pin mod or the first adaptation of the Dakota Digital set-up? I had a 1800C model from 2002 to about 2004.

spydeebike
12-29-2008, 10:51 PM
you are a true spyde :clap:enthusiast

Director
12-29-2008, 11:20 PM
12-27-08 was the day I officially broke 25K on my Spyder. I picked up my Spyder 12-14-07 so it's been just over a year now.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=488&albumid=21&dl=1230473078&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=488)

It was the perfect day for a ride and the bikes were out in force like bees on a newly bloomed flower. It's been pretty cold and wet here in East TN and today it was 70+ with blue sky's. You couldn't ask for a better day.

:congrats: You are one lucky son-of-a-gun to live in an area where you can ride in 70 degree temps at the end of December!
Keep on keepin' on, Lamont. :D

Bruce

Big Arm
12-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Just wanted to say :congrats: on your 25K. And thanks for all the work and input you do for this site. :clap::cheers:

Lamonster
12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
I keep re-reading my post and finding major spelling and grammar errors. :sour: I think I have them all fixed now but I thought that the other day too. :opps:

jnt
12-30-2008, 02:20 PM
:congrats::thumbup::clap::yes::firstplace::cheers: :bowdown:

Oh, and spelling doesn't count when you have the wind in your face!!

go2lkg
12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Congratulations LaMonster! Since getting my Spyder in May I have come to regularly rely on the SpyderLovers community and all of the information, opinions, ideas, discussions, surveys and banter that this wonderful site provides and encourages! I truly appreciate your leadership and openess and just want to say THANKS! :congrats::cheers: GO2LKG

GeminiJane
12-30-2008, 10:27 PM
:congrats: Lamonster....although you're already a really lucky guy to have that many fun miles under your belt.
Anyone know what high mileage on a Spyder is.....is Lamonster the front runner?
Also, I thought I saw a "click on this" button at one time on the BRP ryder site about "getting your pin" if you have 1000 miles? Surely that can't be right as most everyone gets a 1000 miles in no time at all. Anyone know the facts about that?

bjt
01-01-2009, 11:46 AM
:congrats: Lamonster....although you're already a really lucky guy to have that many fun miles under your belt.
Anyone know what high mileage on a Spyder is.....is Lamonster the front runner?
Also, I thought I saw a "click on this" button at one time on the BRP ryder site about "getting your pin" if you have 1000 miles? Surely that can't be right as most everyone gets a 1000 miles in no time at all. Anyone know the facts about that?

Seems to me that there was a Spyder with over 35,000 miles a few months back. lamonster's 25K is still pretty impressive to me as I averaged about 10K - 12K per year in my car for the past 15 years. The fact that I got 10K on my Spyder in 6 months is proof of how much I like to ride the thing.

About those mileage pins, did BRP ever get that program up and running? I can't recall reading about anyone getting one of the pins. BRP talked about the mileage pins back in June along with some other pins for certain events but I've only seen one of the pins (for Americade / The Homecoming).

Cundiffla
01-01-2009, 12:07 PM
:congrats: I have my spyder since July '08 and already cranked out just uder 4,000 miles! I just get excited to go for rides! OH by the way Last week I've ran into a friend of your unfortunely he didn't give a Name but lives in Orange Park or Middleburg Florida and has a goldwing he knows you from your goldwing sites!

Concrats! Again.
and Thank you for you time you've put in making this site possible.

effgjamis
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
HELP>>>>HELP>>>

For the life of me I cannot find the spot on BRP's web site to post the mileage and pic for the coveted PIN..

A good link would be greatly appreciated... and I thank you.

Director
05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
HELP>>>>HELP>>>

For the life of me I cannot find the spot on BRP's web site to post the mileage and pic for the coveted PIN..

A good link would be greatly appreciated... and I thank you.

Try this link:

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Community/News-Detail.html?ArticleID=41222055-0ab2-451b-ab0d-cd492151cbe7

Cheers,

Bruce

effgjamis
05-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Director..... thank you for the workable link... got it all done and to wait for BRP..
Thanks again

Longlegs
05-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey, great job on 25000. 1/4 of the way to the next pin. Also, spyder lovers cards are a great idea. Please share! I want some to hand out. I was using the dealer brochures til they got wet. (stupid trunk seal; haha)

Director
05-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Director..... thank you for the workable link... got it all done and to wait for BRP..
Thanks again

Happy to help, effgjamis! Good luck with the pin quest. :thumbup:

Bruce

paulyd
05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
:congrats:
Lamonster,

I am very happy for you making the 25000 mark. I am looking forward to that day as well. Keep on riding

Pauly D

igor
05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
:congrats: Lamont on 25k. Great.:clap::clap::clap:

Lamonster
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM
This was a post from last year.:D Not sure how it got to the front page again. :dontknow:Thanks anyway :doorag:

sabunim5
05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
:congrats:

SpyderByter
05-07-2009, 09:50 PM
This was a post from last year.:D Not sure how it got to the front page again. :dontknow:Thanks anyway :doorag:

Lamont,

When I am searching posts for info on a subject, I find myself wishing I knew when the info was posted, so I can see which info is more current. Is auto dating the posts a possibility?

dltang
05-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Lamont,

When I am searching posts for info on a subject, I find myself wishing I knew when the info was posted, so I can see which info is more current. Is auto dating the posts a possibility?

Hey SpyderByter, on my threads all the posts are dated. Look at the top of each post above the name of the poster.

SpyderByter
05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Wadda you know! I really need to put on the glasses at the puter.

Been there all that time, and I did not see it.

Thanks, Mark