PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Insurance

wiredgeorge
07-07-2015, 01:47 PM
This thread isn't meant to tell you which company is best or compare rates. Just wanted to mention that here in Texas you need to have proof of insurance when you register a vehicle. Many folks buy a policy and have proof of insurance in hand then cancel it after registration is complete. That means we have a lot of uninsured running around the state. What does that mean to you as a motorcyclist? There are two areas of coverage which can get expensive but need to be considered. One is the UNINSURED / UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY coverage. Let's say one of these uninsured drivers clips you and you are hurt. If you DO NOT have this coverage you pay OUT OF POCKET till you can hire a lawyer and sue the other party for damages. You will have to decide what the odds are that the uninsured driver has assets that your lawyer can go after. Here in Texas, I am not real happy with that possibility. The added coverage for UNINSURED / UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY can be expensive because the amount of coverage needs to be fairly high due the cost of medical care. $100,000 for myself costs about $150 a year for the Spyder RT and $250 a year for my CB1100A. OUCH but I think it is really necessary as only a few days would wipe me out financially. The other coverage to consider is UNISURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE. Why would you have this coverage? The same uninsured driver whacks your Spyder and no insurance. Who pays? If you have collision insurance, YOUR company will pay but you must meet your deductible. With my insurance company if you have the UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE coverage you are limited to a $250 deductible. If you have a large deductible in an effort to save on the premium you are stuck with paying that if your vehicle is damaged. On this one, the size of your deductible should push you one way or the other.

We likely have insurance professionals on this site who can correct me if I am wrong or add to what is said but I think a lot of motorcyclists are vague on the implications of their insurance choices they have made in the past. If you have an agent and trust them, chat with them but keep in mind they make money by selling.

Bob Denman
07-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Keep in mind, that not all coverages are available in all States...:shocked:
It is always best to schedule some time to talk with your Agent about the coverage for you and your bike! :thumbup:
(And your house, cars, boat, RV, ATVs...)

pegasus1300
07-07-2015, 03:12 PM
the State of Utah keeps a data base that matches insurance to registration. If you cancel or allow to lapse your insurance they will ask you for your plates back and come and get them if you can't explain why the vehicle no longer needs insurance. Acceptable reasons are vehicle sold,vehicle junked,vehicle no longer able to be driven. It is not a perfect system,there is some time lapse but it a step in the right direction. I still have uninsured and under insured motorist on my vehicles. In Utah it is pretty cheap.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-08-2015, 12:54 AM
I have good medical insurance coverage with virtually no deductible and copay (Medicare + BCBS) so I decline the uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage. The way I figure why pay twice just to have the insurance companies split the cost?

jcthorne
07-08-2015, 06:46 AM
the State of Utah keeps a data base that matches insurance to registration. If you cancel or allow to lapse your insurance they will ask you for your plates back and come and get them if you can't explain why the vehicle no longer needs insurance. Acceptable reasons are vehicle sold,vehicle junked,vehicle no longer able to be driven. It is not a perfect system,there is some time lapse but it a step in the right direction. I still have uninsured and under insured motorist on my vehicles. In Utah it is pretty cheap.

Texas ties insurance to plates as well. They do not come and get the plates but the DPS cars have continuous plate scanning cameras to look up all oncoming cars in real time and alert the officer. This is why Texas requires front plates. DPS WILL pull you over and write citations for expired licence, inspections and insurance all of which are tagged to your plate number.

Orange Spyder Man
07-08-2015, 07:37 AM

every state should follow Utah's lead... maybe this would help curb "non insured" vehicles on the road... I think if you are caught driving without insurance.. your vehicle should be confiscated & sold... plus a years jail time for the driver...

osm

wiredgeorge
07-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Texas ties insurance to plates as well. They do not come and get the plates but the DPS cars have continuous plate scanning cameras to look up all oncoming cars in real time and alert the officer. This is why Texas requires front plates. DPS WILL pull you over and write citations for expired licence, inspections and insurance all of which are tagged to your plate number.

OK... Have a look at this recent article from a Dallas paper. Granted, no uninsured in Houston but there seems to be a few in Dallas. You think rural areas like I live in have DPS troupers with computers monitoring county highways like where I live?

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/20140816-dallas-countys-uninsured-driver-rate-speeds-up.ece

Ever drive up into the wilderness of Okiehomie? 26 percent uninsured!

http://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/uninsured-motorists

Ok, you go into the hospital for a week. Your med insurance is wonderful and picks up this expense. How are the bills for your house payment, car payment, utilities, etc. going to be paid? Your med insurance sure ain't going to pay for those things. If you have sufficient funds to be able to pay this stuff out of pocket, you are truly blessed. Most folks can't go long without the paycheck coming in.