PDA

View Full Version : Laser Alignment Bulletin

trikermutha
07-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Anyone have access to bulletin number 2015-6 about the laser alignments??? I like to see what the bulletin has to say.

So much for my original post..Wish we stay on topic sometimes..:gaah:

Doc - Riverside
07-07-2015, 04:50 PM
From www.spydercomfort.com . This is the ROLO Alignment system

"On 3/25/2015 BRP issues a additional service bulletin to their dealers named Roadster alignment specifications, number 2015-6, endorsing True Laser track for the 2nd year in a row"

Pampurrs
07-07-2015, 11:00 PM
From www.spydercomfort.com (http://www.spydercomfort.com) . This is the ROLO Alignment system

"On 3/25/2015 BRP issues a additional service bulletin to their dealers named Roadster alignment specifications, number 2015-6, endorsing True Laser track for the 2nd year in a row"

The problem is, the company hasn't yet completely penetrated the dealer market, which makes it hard for many of us to get laser alignment without traveling hundreds of miles. In my case, the nearest dealer is in Las Vegas which is about 350 miles from me. I talked to Spyder Comfort and they said that Ride Now has ordered them for their stores here in the Phoenix area. Hopefully, they will be up and running sometime in mid July. I don't have any reason to believe my brand new Spyder is out of alignment, but based on what I've read here, it would be worth $125 for the peace of mind.

Pam

cptjam
07-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Pam,
worth the trip to come to Las Vegas ! Don't pay to be some ones training bike! We can Square you away! Call Ann to set it up - you will be happier if it is done right! Joe

YumaJim
07-08-2015, 12:44 AM
Pam,
worth the trip to come to Las Vegas ! Don't pay to be some ones training bike! We can Square you away! Call Ann to set it up - you will be happier if it is done right! Joe

I sure agree with Joe. Hopefully RideNow does invest in this but it's going to take them awhile with the "learning curve" involved. Joe and Ann have done hundreds of these and you won't be disappointed! They "squared me away" and the ryde is awesome! Plus you can spend a night in Sin City and enjoy a buffet somewhere...

kbwitt
07-08-2015, 07:48 AM
The problem is, the company hasn't yet completely penetrated the dealer market, which makes it hard for many of us to get laser alignment without traveling hundreds of miles. In my case, the nearest dealer is in Las Vegas which is about 350 miles from me. I talked to Spyder Comfort and they said that Ride Now has ordered them for their stores here in the Phoenix area. Hopefully, they will be up and running sometime in mid July. I don't have any reason to believe my brand new Spyder is out of alignment, but based on what I've read here, it would be worth $125 for the peace of mind.

Pam

Try Peoria AZ . I am in Gilbert and have read they do it. If I remember right ask for Andrew
Ride now in Chandler just told me yesterday they would not install my Kumho car tire.

good luck Kenn

idahospyder1
07-08-2015, 08:20 AM
I would love to get one done, but it looks like Washington is our closest option!

grumpybob
07-08-2015, 09:27 AM
Question is - If BRP feels that way why are they not doing it at the factory or requiring it as part of setup by the dealers??????????

Mike Ard
07-08-2015, 09:50 AM
I would love to get one done, but it looks like Washington is our closest option!

Yes please come back to Idaho!!! Had it done two years ago when they were up from Las Vegas and now want to get done on my new F3.

I am sure Birds of Prey motor sports would welcome you, and also sure there is enough work here to keep you busy.

trikermutha
07-08-2015, 09:59 AM
This sure went off the original post..:gaah:

Pampurrs
07-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Try Peoria AZ . I am in Gilbert and have read they do it. If I remember right ask for Andrew
Ride now in Chandler just told me yesterday they would not install my Kumho car tire.

good luck Kenn

Chandler location of Ride Now is getting one installed. I'd rather go there than 65 miles to the Peoria location. I'm among the legions of people who have had bad experiences with Ride Now, but if they're the only game in town, I guess I have to bite the bullet. Thanks

Pam

Pampurrs
07-08-2015, 10:12 AM

We're still talking about laser alignment :dontknow:

Pam

Pampurrs
07-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Question is - If BRP feels that way why are they not doing it at the factory or requiring it as part of setup by the dealers??????????

Good question :dontknow:

Pam

Pampurrs
07-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Pam,

I would love to, but an overnight trip to Vegas is not in my budget right now. My finances are still reeling from having just purchased the Spyder, plus my son is getting married in three weeks, and I have to make a 2,000 mile four day trip to Dallas to attend the wedding. Hotel rooms are not cheap.

I'll see how things look in a month or so.

Pam

GOZFST
07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Pam,
It's only 300 miles or so to Vegas and a beautiful ride. I'd push it there before I'd let Ride Now do it. The store in Tucson supposedly aligned my used 08 GS I bought from them, it was so far off it's a wonder I didn't crash,they didn't even tighten the jam nuts.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-08-2015, 01:14 PM
That would constitute a flat out admission by BRP engineers that there is better way to do it that they did not develop. Engineers do that very reluctantly. Plus they would probably have to pay licensing fees if they require the use of that method. There's a huge difference between acceptable and required.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Anyone have access to bulletin number 2015-6 about the laser alignments??? I like to see what the bulletin has to say.
Your best bet is to go to your dealer and have them pull it up. It most likely is a repeat of the one last year that simply stated the Outlaw laser alignment is an acceptable alignment method.

Huddleston
07-08-2015, 01:21 PM

Good luck getting an answer to your actual question on this forum.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Since no one who has read the question has been able to answer yes, what would you like to have, a series of 500 noes? Or no responses whatever that would then appear to mean no one read it?

Bob Denman
07-08-2015, 01:43 PM

:shocked: I swear; I didn't have a part in it... :shocked:

Pampurrs
07-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Sorry :opps:

:shemademe_smilie: Pam

trikermutha
07-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Since no one who has read the question has been able to answer yes, what would you like to have, a series of 500 noes? Or no responses whatever that would then appear to mean no one read it?

Well a straight answer would be fine. But if you don't have the answer that's fine, But when you chime in with other off topic comments it makes the original post non existent IMO.:lecturef_smilie:

sduskin
07-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Because they don't put the tires on until the spyder gets uncrated by the dealer.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-13-2015, 12:08 AM
Because they don't put the tires on until the spyder gets uncrated by the dealer.
The alignment is based on the rotor, not the tires. The tires don't have to be on to be aligned. In fact, the BRP procedure requires the tires to be removed. They could do a laser alignment at the factory but they'd have to revise the procedure and/or tools as the tires would not be mounted on the bike and the current procedure is designed to be done with all the tires mounted.

PMK
07-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Trikermutha, as an idea, and if it works maybe you would share it with me or the entire forum, possibly you could get a hold of Mike at Spydercomfort / ROLO in Florida. He may have a copy he is willing to share.

There may possibly be 2 bulletins. 2014-6 and 2015-6

http://www.spydercomfort.com/

PK

ARtraveler
07-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Well a straight answer would be fine. But if you don't have the answer that's fine, But when you chime in with other off topic comments it makes the original post non existent IMO.:lecturef_smilie:

Does the bulletin exist? Most of the time when there is an answer out there, it pops up pretty quickly. This seems like a straight forward thing.

I am also interested in hearing about the answer. Guess I will see if I can find anything.

:popcorn::popcorn:

trikermutha
07-13-2015, 01:11 PM
I didn't read this correctly but here is the answer..:thumbup: I thought maybe they would be more in detail about the alignment specs..
I am trying to get more details on the bulletins

On 3/25/14 BRP issues a service bulletin to their dealers named Roadster alignment specifications, number 2014-6. In this bulletin BRP endorses The True Laser Track patented Laser System and recommends their dealers use this revolutionary new method to align the Spyder.

On 3/25/2015 BRP issues a additional service bulletin to their dealers named Roadster alignment specifications, number 2015-6, endorsing True Laser track for the 2nd year in a row

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Does the bulletin exist? Most of the time when there is an answer out there, it pops up pretty quickly. This seems like a straight forward thing.

I am also interested in hearing about the answer. Guess I will see if I can find anything.

:popcorn::popcorn:
It did last year. I saw it at the dealer when I was talking to him about having Squared Away come up and do alignments.

Here's a comment I made last year, www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?68270-I-ve-been-Squared-Away!-Front-wheel-alignment-done-right (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?68270-I-ve-been-Squared-Away!-Front-wheel-alignment-done-right)! regarding BRP's position about the laser alignment.

An interesting side note. The Moto Tech service manager said that in all his years of association with Can Am products, the Outlaw Laser Alignment system is the first non-BRP maintenance method or product that he has seen BRP endorse. Always before, he said, BRP has either developed the method and equipment, or bought out the system and made it their own.

ARtraveler
07-13-2015, 01:14 PM
I didn't read this correctly but here is the answer..:thumbup: I thought maybe they would be more in detail about the alignment specs..

On 3/25/14 BRP issues a service bulletin to their dealers named Roadster alignment specifications, number 2014-6. In this bulletin BRP endorses The True Laser Track patented Laser System and recommends their dealers use this revolutionary new method to align the Spyder.

On 3/25/2015 BRP issues a additional service bulletin to their dealers named Roadster alignment specifications, number 2015-6, endorsing True Laser track for the 2nd year in a row

PS: The local dealer's appear to not know about either of the above. :yes:

Spyderups
07-13-2015, 02:30 PM
The alignment is based on the rotor, not the tires. The tires don't have to be on to be aligned. In fact, the BRP procedure requires the tires to be removed. They could do a laser alignment at the factory but they'd have to revise the procedure and/or tools as the tires would not be mounted on the bike and the current procedure is designed to be done with all the tires mounted.

I had mine done at Spyderfest 2 yrs ago.....they did not take tires off.....they pulled center hub cap off and put a laser cap on the front wheels...totally different ride...no wander any more.....Lexington Motorsports in Ky does it when it assembles new ones.....I traded my 12 for a 15 GOOD PEOPLE....Aaron Cocker is the manager.

trikermutha
07-13-2015, 02:34 PM

:clap::clap::yikes: .. Maybe someone will soon.. :roflblack:

PMK
07-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Kind of a bit disappointing. I purchased the manual from EBay. Seems pretty complete, BRP and all... Sadly, no procedure, whether BRP or anything else explaining how to align the wheels. Maybe I missed it going page by page, but search did not find it either.

PK

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Kind of a bit disappointing. I purchased the manual from EBay. Seems pretty complete, BRP and all... Sadly, no precedure, whether BRP or anything else explaining how to align the wheels. Maybe I missed it going page by page, but search did not find it either.

PK
In the 2013 service manual the BRP method to align to the frame is in Subsection XX (Steering (DPS) and Front Wheels)

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-13-2015, 11:36 PM
The owner of Moto Tech did not know about it either. He searched the BRP tech bulletins while I was standing there and found it and read it. That's when he decided to let Squared Away use his service dept driveway to do alignments.

The tech told me earlier this summer he has gotten pretty fast and good using the factory method and was having good results, although he still agreed the laser was a better method.

PMK
07-14-2015, 07:15 AM
In the 2013 service manual the BRP method to align to the frame is in Subsection XX (Steering (DPS) and Front Wheels)

Not to disagree with your 2013 manual, the same section is referred to in the 14 manual also. Check the image below for the wording. They use this same phrase for alignment many times and anytime a front suspension component is replaced.

Sadly the Steering (DPS) and Front Wheels section is only 4 pages long. There is one image illustrating the steering components and torque values. The following three pages all deal with Steering Angle Sensor troubleshooting and replacement. The chapter ends and goes into Front Suspension.

My 2014 RT manual does not have a front end alignment section, unless it is buried somewhere other than where they say it is.

PK

trikermutha
07-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Not to disagree with your 2013 manual, the same section is referred to in the 14 manual also. Check the image below for the wording. They use this same phrase for alignment many times and anytime a front suspension component is replaced.

Sadly the Steering (DPS) and Front Wheels section is only 4 pages long. There is one image illustrating the steering components and torque values. The following three pages all deal with Steering Angle Sensor troubleshooting and replacement. The chapter ends and goes into Front Suspension.

My 2014 RT manual does not have a front end alignment section, unless it is buried somewhere other than where they say it is.

PK

:agree:

I just looked at my manual and seen nothing for alignments..

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-14-2015, 05:09 PM
:agree:

I just looked at my manual and seen nothing for alignments..
In the section I noted above, do you not have a section that begins ADJUSTMENT STEERING ALIGNMENT VERIFICATION? The first tool in the Required Items list is the PITMAN ARM LOCKING TOOL.

PMK
07-14-2015, 06:01 PM
In the section I noted above, do you not have a section that begins ADJUSTMENT STEERING ALIGNMENT VERIFICATION? The first tool in the Required Items list is the PITMAN ARM LOCKING TOOL.

Not in my manual...

PK

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Not in my manual...

PK
Interesting! I wonder why not. Here's the section from the 2013 RT manual.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/178527008/Front%20wheel%20alignment%20-%202013%20RT.pdf

2 Cruysyn
07-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Anyone have access to bulletin number 2015-6 about the laser alignments???

Not the bulletin requested (can't imagine it's that much different) but after a bit of looking my local service manager stumbled on "Service Bulletin 2014-6 Roadster Alignment Specifications" which states in part "True Laser Track is a recommended supplier of laser alignment kits..." The file size exceeds the limit imposed for posting it here but I have deposited it in a folder on "Box" which you can retrieve here (https://app.box.com/s/trxdhofank8qjrkx7r1m6ihl5ie0vqkm).

BajaRon
07-17-2015, 11:25 PM

Like gravity, you can fight it, you can get mad at it, you can even try to ignore it. But it will never go away. :sour:

PMK
07-18-2015, 06:29 AM
Honestly, for the DIY person, the BRP info list specs for toe in regards to ride height.

That info along with this calculator can be used if you have the desire to align at home. Overall though, getting it done by those that have the tools and are familiar with the settings may be easier for most people.

The interesting part is that on newer vehicles, BRP is concerned about the rider weight in how it effects toe in or more correctly, bump steer.

To use this calculator for a three wheeled vehicle, simply combine the left and right rear wheels into one, and take the dimension shown. As with all Spyder alignments, the rear wheel must be positioned first to have the belt track properly.

https://robrobinette.com/DIYAlignmentCalculator.htm

PK

trikermutha
07-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Not the bulletin requested (can't imagine it's that much different) but after a bit of looking my local service manager stumbled on "Service Bulletin 2014-6 Roadster Alignment Specifications" which states in part "True Laser Track is a recommended supplier of laser alignment kits..." The file size exceeds the limit imposed for posting it here but I have deposited it in a folder on "Box" which you can retrieve here (https://app.box.com/s/trxdhofank8qjrkx7r1m6ihl5ie0vqkm).

:clap::clap::thumbup::clap::thumbup: Thank you that answers my post. Good Stuff..

trikermutha
07-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Honestly, for the DIY person, the BRP info list specs for toe in regards to ride height.

That info along with this calculator can be used if you have the desire to align at home. Overall though, getting it done by those that have the tools and are familiar with the settings may be easier for most people.

The interesting part is that on newer vehicles, BRP is concerned about the rider weight in how it effects toe in or more correctly, bump steer.

To use this calculator for a three wheeled vehicle, simply combine the left and right rear wheels into one, and take the dimension shown. As with all Spyder alignments, the rear wheel must be positioned first to have the belt track properly.

https://robrobinette.com/DIYAlignmentCalculator.htm

PK

Good Info !!! :thumbup::clap:

jaherbst
07-18-2015, 08:44 AM

Pam

Square Away has done two Laser Alignments here at my Hanger in Tucson for everyone. If enough interest is generated I am sure we will be doing another.

Jack

trikermutha
07-18-2015, 09:02 AM
Like gravity, you can fight it, you can get mad at it, you can even try to ignore it. But it will never go away. :sour:

:agree: :banghead: