PDA

View Full Version : MY FIRST SPYDER VACATION

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-06-2015, 07:43 AM
ok, i planned this vacation to Martha Vineyard with the spyder since january. Well first off i started prepping the bike
about 6 weeks before i left with the farkles i had gotten: highway pegs, running lights on fender & saddlebags, bumpskid
with led & i also bought antigravity microstart in case i had a problem with the battery and i also had the heat issue thing
done the week before I left.
Well with all the planning i did the friday before i leave i hit a pothole & a plastic panel underneath fell down. I thought no
big deal so on monday i bring the bike in to my dealer and he finds one of my elka shocks is leaking. Now here's the problem,
i leave for vacation thurs. so i have 3 days to get it fixed. It gets worse, no one local can do a seal kit on it nor can i get
a new one before i leave so i have to next day air the shock to elka repair facility in WV. and air ship it back. I really really
want to thank Steve @ elka, he repaired & flipped it back out same day. Got the shock to my dealer right when he opened
and they rushed to get it back in. The job was finished 30 minutes before i was scheduled to leave. The reason time was so
important was i had 2 ferries to catch that were already booked.
After not sleeping for 2 nights everything went smooth and my wife and i had a great time. The bike ran well, no heat problem
at all, no gas cap issue and got many looks and nods while riding and parked on the island and on the ferry line.
The Garmin GPS got me there and back and worked well at Martha.
Oh i forgot to mention I also installed Doc's spyder rack, easy enough install and with that we had more then enough room for
all our stuff.

Bob Denman
07-06-2015, 08:14 AM
:congrats: on a successful trip; even if the start was a bit... exciting! :shocked:

Kwalsh
07-06-2015, 08:20 AM
a good dealer and company that stands behind its product is worth their weight in gold, glad trip went well and good luck on many more

Chupaca
07-06-2015, 09:30 AM
A real nail bitter till you hit the road. Glad it all worked out and you had a wonderful time. Picture of you'all on the ferry would be a keeper..:roflblack: spyders at sea...

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-06-2015, 12:19 PM
i forgot to mention one problem i have with the bike, the light on the brakes sometimes stays on so i have to lift the pedal up, the
brakes are not on just the switch for the light, my dealer said he has had a few others with this problem but brp doesn't have a
fix, anyone know of a fix for it.
sorry i am not a photo guy so i have no pictures of anything not even of my stunt kite in the air or the oh so young girls in their
bikini's on the beach.
the one picture my wife wanted to take was a yukon unloading at the beach, 11 people that we counted came out, plus cooler
& chairs, to me it looked like the vw bug at the circus with 10 clowns coming out.

cuznjohn
07-06-2015, 12:24 PM
i forgot to mention one problem i have with the bike, the light on the brakes sometimes stays on so i have to lift the pedal up, the
brakes are not on just the switch for the light, my dealer said he has had a few others with this problem but brp doesn't have a
sorry i am not a photo guy so i have no pictures of anything not even of my stunt kite in the air or the oh so young girls in their
bikini's on the beach.
the one picture my wife wanted to take was a yukon unloading at the beach, 11 people that we counted came out, plus cooler
& chairs, to me it looked like the vw bug at the circus with 10 clowns coming out.

al that is why i put the light on the dash so i could see when it sticks, they told me that they had no fix for it also. now with the leak on the shock, i had both replaced on that bike because of a leak on one of them, i am begging to wonder if the elkas have a reoccurring problem with their seals

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-06-2015, 12:59 PM
cuzn, are you saying that is the second set of elka's on the bike?

ARtraveler
07-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Glad to hear the ride was good after the shaky start up.

Keep us posted on the shock and sticky brake light switch information. The brake issue will put you into limp mode if you don't catch it while riding.

cuznjohn
07-06-2015, 01:08 PM
cuzn, are you saying that is the second set of elka's on the bike?

yea al, ond day a friend noticed a leak on one, so elka had me ship both to them and they sent me new ones. i have them on my new bike now and so far so good

jwulf74
07-06-2015, 01:13 PM
My wife's does that. As long as the arm that drives the brake hits the pedal correctly (sorry, not to technical there) then there are a couple of things to check. My wife's had some grit in one or more of the pivot points for the pedal and downstream linkage. I WD-40'd it and it seems to have cleaned it up and lubed it a bit. A proper cleaning and proper grease would probably be better, but I did not want to take it all apart as it is a royal pain.

The other thing is the little arm on the brake light switch. If you take the right side panels off and follow the brake linkage, you should see it. It looks like the same type of arm for the frunk and can probably be bent/adjusted.

I offer those as suggestions only assuming that the brake pedal and linkage are already properly adjusted. Don't want you riding around dragging the brakes...

bikini's on the beach.

Purple Guy
07-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Great to hear everything worked out and you guys had a great trip!
Now the planning starts for your next Spyder adventure! :yes: