PDA

View Full Version : Farkles - Always DIY?

bobgeorge
07-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Hello All,

I am in ponder mode to getting a Can-Am. I am even taking the VA 3-wheel Can-Am riding class next weekend to get my license.

Question. I like a lot of the Farkles I read about on this site. Do most of you DIY them? I'm not too mechicanical....so I doubt if I would be good at much DIY. What do the people do here that I like me and not too mechanical?

Thanks,

BG

ARtraveler
07-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Hello All,

I am in ponder mode to getting a Can-Am. I am even taking the VA 3-wheel Can-Am riding class next weekend to get my license.

Question. I like a lot of the Farkles I read about on this site. Do most of you DIY them? I'm not too mechicanical....so I doubt if I would be good at much DIY. What do the people do here that I like me and not too mechanical?

Thanks,

BG

:welcome: If I want farkle X and can't put it on, my dealer gets another job. Not very mechanical here at all.

MMMII
07-03-2015, 09:04 PM
I think it depends on the model but more so the farkle in question (and the tools needed/available).

Tons of ppl here willing to help out with questions (as long as you do a search first ;)) if/when you get stuck.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-03-2015, 10:12 PM
I bought a 2014 Rt SE-6 ...Basic....Then did 45 separate things to change , modify, create from scratch, invent, add, delete etc. spent about $500 Total.. You can certainly make it your own for very little cash........Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-04-2015, 07:22 AM
I guess that it depends on your comfort level around wrenches, and the nature of the Farkle. :thumbup:
I have managed to add extra brake lights, chrome handlebar and axle caps, and even an XM radio system in the top trunk... ;)
And I'm a guy with about as much mechanical knowledge, as a Hamster! :yikes:
It might depend more on your ability to follow the printed directions...

Purple Guy
07-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Quite frankly I'm the dumbest guy I know! :roflblack:
That being said, except for a couple things I worked into the purchase price for my Spyder I`ve done all the farkling myself.
This site and the people that participate on it has a wealth of knowledge that can help you with anything you may need help with.

Bob Denman
07-04-2015, 09:19 AM
:shocked: You haven't met me yet... :roflblack::roflblack: :thumbup:
:agree: There's an awful lot of help to be found right here! :clap:

Dan McNally
07-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Most of my farkles are self-installed, or done by/with a friend . . . in fact, the only one, to date, that I had my dealer put on was the Backoff XP . . . and I had him do it when he was doing my 14000 mile service, since he was going to be tearing into things, anyhow. Many of the vendors provide very detailed installation instructions . . . and, as mentioned, above, there is a lot of help available here!

wiredgeorge
07-04-2015, 01:00 PM
First time I turned a wrench, I had no idea what I was doing. I made mistakes, I asked questions and learned that service manuals can cover all sorts of ignorance. I kept turning wrenches and learning and today realize NO ONE knows all there is about wrenching but I do know more than I did the first time I tried. Why do I do all my own wrenching? I can't afford to pay someone else bwhahaha

bobgeorge
07-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks everyone! A lot of good feedback.

I'd just hate be riding down the road and my windshield fall off :gaah:

Bob Denman
07-04-2015, 05:05 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110927&stc=1

Pampurrs
07-04-2015, 05:21 PM
What's a farkle? :dontknow:

Just kidding :roflblack:

I like to do everything myself. Sometimes though, I'm not comfortable doing it mysef and would rather turn it over to a trained professional. For example, I paid to have my Baja Bar installed, just fo the piece of mind that it was done by someone who had done it dozens of times before. Most stuff I do myself though.

Pam

Pampurrs
07-04-2015, 05:23 PM
I'd just hate be riding down the road and my windshield fall off :gaah:

I'd hate to be behind you :yikes:

wiredgeorge
07-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Do high schools have shop class anymore? I would think a class at your local community college
in general mechanics would be a big help. Just getting a feel for the tools and use of Loctite would
get you thinking about which things are worth undertaking and which are not. The windshield example
was a good one. Takes about 5 minutes to change the windshield with a low probability of messing
up. Once you do a few of these chores, you will have a better idea of what lies in your wheelhouse
and what doesn't. Some jobs require tools you may not have but will pick up over time if you do
your own work. It is a process... get started and ASK if you have no idea how technical a specific
job is.

Lew L
07-05-2015, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=wiredgeorge;1001700]Do high schools have shop class anymore?.[/QUOTE George,

The "high school shop" class is disappearing rapidly. Many high schools don't offer Metal shop or Wood shop any more. The auto shop class at the high school I taught at is going away this year:banghead:. The Metal shop teacher they hiered to replace me couldn't handle it and I'm sure the Metals class will be soon to follow. The school district I taught in has 11 high schools. When I started in Reno, ALL the schools had a full complement of "shop" classes. Now there are 4 metal shops, 5 wood shops. and 3 auto shops.

I have had many young adults tell me the wish thay had taken a "shop" class in high school but couldn't. These classes are expensive to equip, maintain, and there is a liaibility factor. And--- its hard to find a teacher for them as you have to be multi-talented. Of course the pay is low for a begining teacher and the turn over rate is high.

AND--- If you'rn not strong the kiddos ( as they are now called) will eat you up.

So George, to answer your question: No

PS: Yes!!

I was an advisor for SKILLS USA my last 11 years and we had thousands of competiters form all 50 states in many different areas of skill competition. It was great fun for my students (and me) even winning at the state level a number of times

pitzerwm
07-05-2015, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=wiredgeorge;1001700]Do high schools have shop class anymore?.[/QUOTE George,

The "high school shop" class is disappearing rapidly. Many high schools don't offer Metal shop or Wood shop any more. The auto shop class at the high school I taught at is going away this year:banghead:. The Metal shop teacher they hiered to replace me couldn't handle it and I'm sure the Metals class will be soon to follow. The school district I taught in has 11 high schools. When I started in Reno, ALL the schools had a full complement of "shop" classes. Now there are 4 metal shops, 5 wood shops. and 3 auto shops.

I have had many young adults tell me the wish thay had taken a "shop" class in high school but couldn't. These classes are expensive to equip, maintain, and there is a liaibility factor. And--- its hard to find a teacher for them as you have to be multi-talented. Of course the pay is low for a begining teacher and the turn over rate is high.

AND--- If you'rn not strong the kiddos ( as they are now called) will eat you up.

So George, to answer your question: No

PS: Yes!!

I was an advisor for SKILLS USA my last 11 years and we had thousands of competiters form all 50 states in many different areas of skill competition. It was great fun for my students (and me) even winning at the state level a number of times

It's pretty sad that the shop classes are going/gone, IMO many school districts are just baby sitting the kids for 12 years. Everyone get a star for being there.

wiredgeorge
07-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Well, I guess kids can learn practical skills on their own and concentrate on civics, western history, classical literature, ethics and such as they do now in school. Geesh. Why not teach kids how to do their taxes, sew a hole in their shirt, check their oil and such in a class called STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO SURVIVE. Since our kids have more money spent on their education and are ranked towards the bottom of western civilization on skills seems we need to teach at home more or demand our dollars be spent more effectively... (I am old and prone to soap box rants...sorry).

Bob Denman
07-06-2015, 02:01 PM
(I am old and prone to soap box rants...sorry).
That's okay; we LIKED it! :2thumbs: :D

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
07-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Hello All,

Thanks,

BG
that's what friends are for

CanAmChris
07-06-2015, 05:44 PM
I will do non-electrical farkles. Once a wire is involved, it is all dealer. That's just me though. I don't own a multi-meter.

agedbikeman
04-03-2016, 04:21 AM
Well, I guess kids can learn practical skills on their own and concentrate on civics, western history, classical literature, ethics and such as they do now in school. Geesh. Why not teach kids how to do their taxes, sew a hole in their shirt, check their oil and such in a class called STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO SURVIVE. Since our kids have more money spent on their education and are ranked towards the bottom of western civilization on skills seems we need to teach at home more or demand our dollars be spent more effectively... (I am old and prone to soap box rants...sorry).

HERE HERE Well put, :clap:my thoughts exactly, who cares who won the battle of hastings or what the chemical formula is for water, learn useful things.

I'm no brain of britain but I've never taken a bike to a shop for repair, but I did learn to read, at school in science we did the Internal Combustion Engine, opened up a whole new world for me:2thumbs:

PW2013STL
04-03-2016, 07:10 AM
If you attend some of the Spyder rallies (Spyderfest, SOAR) there are vendors who install what the sell and most do not charge extra for doing it.
I do most of my own, but if at a rally and I see something I like and they will install it free - why not!

As for having issues with the added lights - NONE, so do not let that stop you.

One of the first things I added was the third rear brake light. My steps have been Safety - Comfort - Looks.

PrairieSpyder
04-03-2016, 08:06 AM
. . . I'd just hate be riding down the road and my windshield fall off :gaah:

Removing my RT's windshield is the only thing I've done. It's necessary to really clean it completely.

that's what friends are for

:agree: I rely on the farkle vendors or my brother.

PrairieSpyder
04-03-2016, 08:10 AM

:agree: If only they were concentrating on "civics, western history, classical literature, ethics" instead! I don't know what they teach but it's not that.

Ron2andia
04-03-2016, 08:16 AM
So far I've done them but heading into some that I may need help on... Hope I can get it here... For me it's been kinda hit or miss with questions.. But there are ppl who know a lot here.

Brentc
04-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Here's a little bright spot, all is not lost. I recently picked up my 622 from our local vocational school after a student, Bennett, has finished repainting it as his class project this year. I dropped off the trailer in October and he has sanded, primed, removed decals, and done his first Tri coat paint job. I know what you mean though about trades being a lost art, as I have worked for the local school district for 29 years now.
I am very happy with the work Bennett did, no according to his instructor this type of job has given him some great real worl experience!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127204&stc=1

robmorg
04-03-2016, 10:49 AM
:welcome: If I want farkle X and can't put it on, my dealer gets another job. Not very mechanical here at all.

:agree: I've installed about half of mine, and the dealer has installed the other half. Many of the dealer installed farkles have been done when the bike was already apart for maintenance or warranty reasons, which saves a bunch of labor.

AY4B
04-03-2016, 11:19 AM
I'd hate to be behind you :yikes:

I am a professional Handyman but we all have our limits. last week I got a new Calsci windshield and attempted to install it all by my self even though the directions say it would help if you have a second pair of hands. I got it done but after a lot more effort than if I had just asked my wife for a hand. Lost one washer down the rubber slit where the brackets come out. I found out it is really hard to put a washer on the underside of something and it stay. I then just invented new ways to use painters tape.

By the way, has anyone REALLY looked at the size of those bolts that hold the windshield on? They are not much bigger than a mosquito.

Bob Denman
04-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm at just about an 85/15 split, with me adding the most accessories to the pile! :thumbup:
(But I won't hesitate to call for the Pro's, if the job is beyond me!)

Deanna777
04-03-2016, 12:31 PM
:welcome: If I want farkle X and can't put it on, my dealer gets another job. Not very mechanical here at all.:agree: my can-am dealership gets the electrical installs.

I have put on all of the decals/STV Short Windshield Blackout-carbon Fiber, Spyderpockets/organizers, Rear LED'S (inside trunk) my self.

I had Mike(Blueknight911) paint my dashboard, and I got the idea from him. Most of the electrical farkles I have done at the dealership( when my bike is in hibernation) so when I take the bike out of hibernation it is ready to go. Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-03-2016, 12:55 PM
So far 100 % and don't see that changing ....I'm at about 61 now.....I have designed some of it , invented some of it, and put it all on my-self........I'm fortunate, I have a place to work, I have a lot of tools, and I will try the impossible..........that just takes a bit longer :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.....Mike :bbq:

Bob Denman
04-03-2016, 05:25 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127234&stc=1

robmorg
04-04-2016, 10:02 AM
:shocked: You haven't met me yet... :roflblack::roflblack: :thumbup:
You can't be that dumb if you quote George Santayana. Nobody else even knows he he was. ;)

sealfloorboards
04-04-2016, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=kaos;1001709]

It's pretty sad that the shop classes are going/gone, IMO many school districts are just baby sitting the kids for 12 years. Everyone get a star for being there.

Just another example of how f...-up our educational system is. Today, most of the emphasis is on how to take a test so the schools can look good and get more funding. Gon is problem solving and critical thinking. Makes me so sad to watch our great kids come into the world without any real life skills, like readig the instructions and installing a set of Seal Floorboards on their future Spyders. Oh well, we get what we pay for.

Bob Denman
04-04-2016, 10:36 AM
You can't be that dumb if you quote George Santayana. Nobody else even knows he he was. ;)

Thanks... I can even quote Samuel Langhorne Clemens ... :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=127280&stc=1

sandeejs
04-04-2016, 01:15 PM
Question. I like a lot of the Farkles I read about on this site. Do most of you DIY them? I'm not too mechanical....so I doubt if I would be good at much DIY. What do the people do here that I like me and not too mechanical?
BG
When I had a Honda, I did most of my own mechanical work. It's different on the Spyder, because of the plastic ("Tupperware"). An oil change was about 45 dirty minutes on the Honda, it took me all day on the Spyder .
Some "farkles" I have now are shop installed - the belt guard & the highway pegs. Others I could do fairly easily.

There are 2 good shops near me, fortunately, and another about 40 miles away.

~Sandee~

bluestratos
04-05-2016, 01:39 PM
My kids claim to be mechanically challanged but I think it is more of a matter of lack of confidence. When I was 16 I had little or no mechanical skills but buying a 56 Pontiac changed that. I could not afford to take it in for repairs so I simply picked up the right tools and started down the road to experience. Each time I came across something I was unsure of I would consult library books, friends and even kindly mechanics to work through it.

I quickly learned to do my own work including tunes ups, tranny changes, brakes, rear end rebuilds, motor rebuilds, shock replacement and pretty much anything else that came along. When I started doing electrical I again consulted books and friends and was soon able to make a part time living doing custom wiring for show cars and friends in need.

I would first be sure you have good tools, then start with something easy to learn how the bikes goes together. Gather advice here on the forum and there is pretty much no farkle you cannot handle. I have mine stripped to the frame for some of the work I do on it and quickly learned the bike is put together in modules and panels. I find it very enjoyable to wrench on RT, nothing better than to be in the garage on a rainy day making improvements or adding extras.

Go for it, you wont hurt if you don't get too rough, everything comes off with bolts, pins or screws and all the body panels start coming off at the mirrors.

Good luck,
Randy

pitzerwm
04-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Today, there isn't too many things that aren't on YouTube or somewhere else on the net. I'm getting so lazy, I don't even open the manual if I have one. Just Google it and you got it.

As for making washers etc stay where you need them, swing by a wood turning place and pick up their CA glue, it doesn't dry out and there are thin, med, thick. We use it for all kinds of thing, but I have used it to make a washer stay put while I turn it upside down or whatever.

I agree that we are just warehousing the kids for 12 years, demanding more money every year to do it. Here there is a vocational school, but the regular schools, no shops, no homemike (sp). One of the high schools asked me to give a talk to the senior class, being a local successful businessman. When I told her that my speech would be "How to be a millionaire by 65", I was told that would be totally inappropriate for these students. :banghead::banghead:

LJspydee
04-06-2016, 12:16 AM
If I can't make the farkles myself, I at least install them myself. If a friend needs help I'm always willing to do or help. More farkles add more smyles per myles!