PDA

View Full Version : Weight Question

BRPjunkie
12-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm still trying to understand the Spyder load limit of 440 lbs. Gold Wing and big Harleys have load limits about the same as Spyder, 450 lbs. Those bikes come with hard bags, trunks, farings, big passenger backrests already on them and have a higher curb weight by about 100 lbs. Simple math makes it look like those two wheeled vehicles allow for more weight for driver, passenger and gear. It would seem that the Spyders three wheel design, bigger tires, etc would allow for a greater load limit than the two wheelers. Any thoughts?

NancysToy
12-26-2008, 12:47 PM
The Goldwing, BMW LT, and big Harleys that come with the bags, backrests, and kitchen sinks, were designed to have all this junk as part of the static load. The springs and shocks are sized accordingly. Same additional weight limits. Whenever you add on accessories, they cut into your weight limit. Technically, all these motorcycles have about the same allowance for passengers, gear, and accessories, but the accessories are already there with the full dressers, so it has been compensated for. No such luck for the Spyder. If you want to add bags, you have to allow for that weight to be part of the total allowance.
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
12-26-2008, 01:13 PM
The Goldwing, BMW LT, and big Harleys that come with the bags, backrests, and kitchen sinks, were designed to have all this junk as part of the static load. The springs and shocks are sized accordingly. Same additional weight limits. Whenever you add on accessories, they cut into your weight limit. Technically, all these motorcycles have about the same allowance for passengers, gear, and accessories, but the accessories are already there with the full dressers, so it has been compensated for. No such luck for the Spyder. If you want to add bags, you have to allow for that weight to be part of the total allowance.
-Scotty

Scotty,

I realize the design factors that go into determining the load limits, it just seemed that the ability to distribute weight over three wheels instead of two would have provided for a little more load on the Spyder. The frame seems plenty sturdy, so it may be the suspension components that are the limiting factors. All this goes to our desire to add the Industries 7 rack and Givi cases at about 30 lbs. With 10 lbs of sport rack and backrest, 350 lbs rider and passenger and 30 lbs in the trunk, that leaves 10 lbs of gear in each case which is about all they should carry anyway.

bone crusher
12-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Scotty...

Good points...also, we have adjustable shocks in the front and back...I've put mine up to 4...much better control for the bike....no swaying at all...I'd bump it up to 5 if I had a lot of luggage and/or another passenger on there for extended periods of time...

I know the back shock is also adjustable, but it's not 1/2 as easy...haven't played with that at all...would probably have a dealership do it...I'd assume bumping that up to 4 would be good for me as well...(you recommend this?)

If the back has any effect like the front, then it'd lend itself to more stability...this I like, especially when taking turns, strong cross winds on highway, etc...

Thoughts?

NancysToy
12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Scotty,

I realize the design factors that go into determining the load limits, it just seemed that the ability to distribute weight over three wheels instead of two would have provided for a little more load on the Spyder. The frame seems plenty sturdy, so it may be the suspension components that are the limiting factors. All this goes to our desire to add the Industries 7 rack and Givi cases at about 30 lbs. With 10 lbs of sport rack and backrest, 350 lbs rider and passenger and 30 lbs in the trunk, that leaves 10 lbs of gear in each case which is about all they should carry anyway.
I'm certainly not saying that BRP's engineers couldn't have done things differently. I'm with you on thinking it is all in the suspension. Penske shocks might be a partial cure, if they had higher rated springs. There may also be other design limitations due to the front a-arms, front spindles, and front and rear wheel bearing size and type, however. BRP seems to be exceedingly conservative, so this may be another "lawyer design", where they warn you off far before you reach actual physical design limits. On the other hand, the tire pressure and spring setting recommendations are aimed at maintaining a very soft suspension, so they may not have designed quite enough beef in any of these related components to stand much more. We don't ride two-up, so Givi bags would not be a problem for us, but I understand your concerns.

Scotty...

Good points...also, we have adjustable shocks in the front and back...I've put mine up to 4...much better control for the bike....no swaying at all...I'd bump it up to 5 if I had a lot of luggage and/or another passenger on there for extended periods of time...

I know the back shock is also adjustable, but it's not 1/2 as easy...haven't played with that at all...would probably have a dealership do it...I'd assume bumping that up to 4 would be good for me as well...(you recommend this?)

If the back has any effect like the front, then it'd lend itself to more stability...this I like, especially when taking turns, strong cross winds on highway, etc...

Thoughts?
The adjustable shocks merely adjust the preload on the springs. The basic spring rate remains the same. It will stiffen things up within reason, but there have been a few reports of bottomed out rear springs with heavier riders, so there are definite limits to what you can accomplish with mere adjustment. Heavier springs would be a solution...if the rest of the suspension components were up to the added load.
-Scotty

bone crusher
12-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Scotty,

Good points...you really know your stuff...

BTW, do you follow the tire pressure guidelines or do you change that a bit...I figure a little more air means less friction, but this could also mean less rubber on the road and lead to safety issues...

LDFIREWORKS
12-26-2008, 09:47 PM
NO FAT CHICKS NO WEIGHT PROBLEM:chill:

NancysToy
12-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Scotty,

Good points...you really know your stuff...

BTW, do you follow the tire pressure guidelines or do you change that a bit...I figure a little more air means less friction, but this could also mean less rubber on the road and lead to safety issues...
I run 20 front and 30 rear, and it greatly improved the handling. We never even set the shock preload up higher, since. The BRP spec for the front is lower than the minimum pressure printed on the sidewall. Not a good practice, IMO, no matter what BRP says. Never had a traction problem, but neither of us is an "extreme" rider.
-Scotty

bone crusher
12-27-2008, 04:48 AM
Scotty,

Well...as you know by the last thread, I'm not an extreme ryder either...I enjoy twisty roads and an occasional speed blast on the highway, but I'm not one to go to the limits.

With that being said, I never looked at the sidewalls of the tires to check the pressure...being I got the Spyder over the summer, I figured the dealership would have things set well.

Being winter, and there likely being a pressure change, I figured I should check it out and make any necessary changes...

I'll set mine to 20 front, 30 rear as well...this should allow for better dry road traction...I guess the rule goes....more pressure dry road, less pressure wet/snow roads...being we tend to ride (eh, ryde) our Spyders on dry pavement, the added pressure would make more sense...

Thank you again for your help...

M2Wild
12-27-2008, 09:50 AM
With that super long swing arm, any weight added tends to be magnified the further out you are from the shock. Where saddle bags, seat back, 2nd rider accounts for most of your additional load. IMO:read:

LRCulpepper
12-27-2008, 11:12 AM
this got me thinking i have a friend that has rode mine a couple of times and i strongly recommended him getting one for him and his wife but he is about 300 lbs and she is 150 or so with that in mine should i tell him to either buy something besides a spyder lose weight or not tak eher along fro the ride? any thoughts or ideals on big guys riding? lol i big but not as much as he is i mean i weight 250 and wife is 160 and we ride all the time with no issues but adding the other 50 to 75 lbs would that break the spiders back you think?

bone crusher
12-27-2008, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't think so...the manual says to increase the shock numbers as you add more weight...

It comes with it set at 3...I raised mine to 4 and it's a much tighter ride...it can go higher, but no need.

I'd think that raising the back one will allow it to take more weight as well...

Bikers don't have the tradition of weighing 100lbs...most bikers tend to be 'bigger' guys/gals...

That being the case, I'd hope that Can-Am figured that they might have some 300 pounders...as far as 450 pounds, I think that is the max weight for the bike, including anything else added...I wouldn't push it much past that point no matter what...certainly the tire pressure would have to be bumped up...

BRPjunkie
12-27-2008, 06:57 PM
I think that all bike makers are probably a bit conservative on load limits simply to allow themselves some legal room. Heck, we've all seen the photos of seven people in Thailand on a 50cc bike. I'm not too worried about loading the Spyder to or slightly above its 440 lb limit for short periods or casual rides. I would not want to stress the bike while loaded to the limit on twisties or an Iron Butt run. I know I have seen many motorcycles with couples on them that would take them over their load limit, but then again, I've never made a living guessing people's weight at the fair.

NancysToy
12-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I think that all bike makers are probably a bit conservative on load limits simply to allow themselves some legal room. Heck, we've all seen the photos of seven people in Thailand on a 50cc bike. I'm not too worried about loading the Spyder to or slightly above its 440 lb limit for short periods or casual rides. I would not want to stress the bike while loaded to the limit on twisties or an Iron Butt run. I know I have seen many motorcycles with couples on them that would take them over their load limit, but then again, I've never made a living guessing people's weight at the fair.
:agree: Load limits always allow suspension travel to remain above manufacturer's intended minimums. Nobody wants you to bottom out the shocks. Riders of fully loaded or overloaded motorcycles should be very aware of road conditions, however. Hitting a bump hard could cause loss of control, or break the suspension. The load limits of the tires should also be taken into account.
-Scotty

bone crusher
12-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Scotty...

You da man with the tires...I've never even looked at the load limit of the tires...I just remember seeing somewhere about a 450 lb. load limit for the Spyder...