PDA

View Full Version : Newby with the usual questions

deanspyder
06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Thinking of buying a used Spyder
Read many of the posts...lots of good...also lots of scary bad.

The three I am looking at are a 2008 GS with about 18k miles or a 2009 RSS with 24k miles or an 08 gs with 6k miles.(don't know the dif between a GS and RSS)

The 08 has a back rest + windshield but not much maintenance history except oil changes. (private sale)
The 09 is at a dealership and has up to date maintenance (so they say) has a higher windshield and side panniers.
There is also a 08 at the dealer with only 6k miles...plain jane, a few hundred more (low miles)

I like some of the farkles (they can get real expensive)

Purpose...I am into light weight dual purpose type riding.. no surprise that my wife is not comfy on any of my bikes . I am not into herding 900 lb two wheeled behemoths around. The Spyder looks like a good compromise for our two up riding. I have been on several demo rides and thought they were fun.

Anyway..I know they have steadily improved the Spyders but the 08/09's are within the price range I wish to be in. (sub $10,000.00)

I am not really scared of higher miles as long as there has been good maintenance, sometimes the higher mile bikes have had all the necessary changes and repairs done to them (hopefully)

fire away with some opinions from your own experiences on which might be the preferable machine.

ARtraveler
06-30-2015, 04:35 PM
The GS designation was only on the first year (2008) :ani29:

The RS designation came about in 2009.

RSS is a sportier edition (usually special paint) of the RS--usually about $1K more bucks or so.

Early GS and RS versions are pretty rock solid and none have many issues. They were virtually trouble free. I owned both a 2008 and 2009 before I got into the RT models in 2010.

No issues with either.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/customprofilepics/profilepic4721_4.gif

Bob Denman
06-30-2015, 04:38 PM
D,
PM sent...

deanspyder
06-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Didn't get the PM...might have to check my settings

Cheers

deanspyder
07-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Okay...let me put it another way.

Of the 08/09's is there any one or two top issues that I should watch for ? and...are both years identical (mechanically) or did the 09's have any improvements that are noteworthy.

Bob Denman
07-01-2015, 01:16 PM
The only change from 2008 to 2009; is in the model name.. :thumbup:
There have been complaints of oil getting sucked up into the airbox, and of course... complaints of excess heat. :shocked: By now; all of the DPS units have been replaced as well.

These are easily addressed.

deanspyder
07-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Thanks Bob

I did send you a pm

Cheers

Chupaca
07-02-2015, 08:47 AM
The GS/RS is the bare bones model in the line up. The more that was added the more issues appeared. This mostly because there was more that could go wrong. Still overall these are great machines with very few problems. The RS has remaind solid till today. We have a 2012 that has been trouble free. Normal wear and tear only. Being a base model you have lots of room to modify it to your liking. Happy hunting..:thumbup:

JerryB
07-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Hi dean,

Re: within the price range I wish to be in. (sub $10,000.00)

1 1/2 yrs ago I was in your boat. I found a '08 SE-5 w/4,000 miles, perfect condition for $9600.

For me, low miles are the best selling point ( unless it has been trashed ). YMMV

When I was looking, I decided that I wanted the electronic shift ( SE-5 designation ). I contacted Lamonster ( the Man here on SpyderLovers ) and he replied that he felt that the SE-5 would be worth an additional $1,000 compared to an equal SM-5. You might consider that in your negotiations.

Best of luck as good ones in your price range are out there,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) So far I have spent about $1800 on 'things' for mine.

JerryB
07-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Hi dean,

Re: within the price range I wish to be in. (sub $10,000.00)

A little over $10k but take a look: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?82937-2010-Can-Am-Spyder-SE5-3200-miles-Mint-Condition

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
07-02-2015, 02:01 PM
I was just looking at that one; it's a real Beauty!! :2thumbs:nojoke

ScreaminMeanie
07-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Had an '09 RSS, and zero issues with it (a couple of minor recalls that the dealer handled for me, tout suite). Put ~15K miles on it in two years, and loved every minute of it except, on extra long days in the saddle, the non-ideal ergos (for me) could get a little painful. Been away from ryding for a couple of years, and for my re-entry, I decided to switch to an RT for the more armchair seating position. It is possible I will miss the nimble-ness of the smaller RSS, at least a little.