PDA

View Full Version : Additional audio and micro USB under a side panel . . .

dsoileau
06-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Any idea why there's an additional micro USB and audio jack under the driver's right-hand panel, located on the side about where the backrest is and zip-tied to the frame? They're on a 2013 RT-S, and it has to have come that way because I bought it new. I guess the side panel is supposed to provide protection from the elements because neither adapter has a weather cap. I'm curious to know if there's an adapter for other use (device charging, device integration, passenger audio, etc.) or if something is missing?

finless
06-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Any idea why there's an additional micro USB and audio jack under the driver's right-hand panel, located on the side about where the backrest is and zip-tied to the frame? They're on a 2013 RT-S, and it has to have come that way because I bought it new. I guess the side panel is supposed to provide protection from the elements because neither adapter has a weather cap. I'm curious to know if there's an adapter for other use (device charging, device integration, passenger audio, etc.) or if something is missing?

It's for the GPS harness to plug into. If you have the GPS harness already, this is a extra audio (not connected to the radio though) and a USB connector you can use to charge stuff. The USB plug will only work with ther GPS cradle. As for sharging stuff though, it is only 1 AMP and thus wont chareg a iPda or iPhone 6+ which needs 2.1 AMPs.

Bob

dsoileau
06-29-2015, 04:12 PM
It's for the GPS harness to plug into. If you have the GPS harness already, this is a extra audio (not connected to the radio though) and a USB connector you can use to charge stuff. The USB plug will only work with ther GPS cradle. As for sharging stuff though, it is only 1 AMP and thus wont chareg a iPda or iPhone 6+ which needs 2.1 AMPs.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I had a Garmin 650 installed in the handlebar cradle when I purchased the Spyder but didn't mention that in my question. The audio feed is worth investigating. It may be worth the effort to plug in headphones to check if audio from the GPS can be heard simultaneously thru headphones and my bluetooth helmet comm. The headphone connection might cut audio output from the GPS, similar to how a stereo system works. Presently the audio from the GPS cuts every other sound source to the bluetooth comm and prevents bike-to-bike communication. This may simply be a limitation of the bluetooth helmet comm I'm using. I would like to transmit the GPS audio through a second device (to the helmet bluetooth comm and a transmitter), which would eliminate my having to restate GPS prompts and enable other sync'd riders to hear the directions first hand, like I do. I'm thinking this is going to be a fun project!

finless
06-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Thanks, Bob. I had a Garmin 650 installed in the handlebar cradle when I purchased the Spyder but didn't mention that in my question. The audio feed is worth investigating. It may be worth the effort to plug in headphones to check if audio from the GPS can be heard simultaneously thru headphones and my bluetooth helmet comm. The headphone connection might cut audio output from the GPS, similar to how a stereo system works. Presently the audio from the GPS cuts every other sound source to the bluetooth comm and prevents bike-to-bike communication. This may simply be a limitation of the bluetooth helmet comm I'm using. I would like to transmit the GPS audio through a second device (to the helmet bluetooth comm and a transmitter), which would eliminate my having to restate GPS prompts and enable other sync'd riders to hear the directions first hand, like I do. I'm thinking this is going to be a fun project!

That audio connection as I said does not connect to the Spyder's radio. You can connect a head set to it but you will only hear what the GPS is playing not what the Spyder is playing. Also check that it is not a MIC in connection as the 690 harness also has a MIC connection.

Bob

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-29-2015, 07:31 PM
I had a Garmin 650 installed in the handlebar cradle when I purchased the Spyder but didn't mention that in my question.
I'm confused. Are you sure it's a micro USB connector under the seat? On my 2013 RT the GPS support kit came with a harness adapter that plugged into a multi-pin connector on the bike harness. The adapter harness has an audio connector and bare power wires. I think what you are looking at is the power connector, maybe micro USB type, and audio connector that is GPS end of the adapter harness. Is your GPS currently hardwired into the bike radio or does it play only via BT to your helmet? If it's hardwired I don't how because there are not other ways to connect it to the radio according to the wiring diagram.

Bob, there are no other auxiliary inputs into the audio system shown on the wiring diagram other than GPS and iPod.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-29-2015, 07:38 PM
It may be worth the effort to plug in headphones to check if audio from the GPS can be heard simultaneously thru headphones and my bluetooth helmet comm.
You have to have a CB unit installed in order to use headphones. There is no headphone support in the stock audio unit. Do you have that?

Just to be absolutely clear about you have, and want to do, please tell us exactly what you have for audio options and how you use them. I'm having trouble reconciling what you're describing with the way the Spyder audio system is configured.

finless
06-30-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm confused. Are you sure it's a micro USB connector under the seat? On my 2013 RT the GPS support kit came with a harness adapter that plugged into a multi-pin connector on the bike harness. The adapter harness has an audio connector and bare power wires. I think what you are looking at is the power connector, maybe micro USB type, and audio connector that is GPS end of the adapter harness. Is your GPS currently hardwired into the bike radio or does it play only via BT to your helmet? If it's hardwired I don't how because there are not other ways to connect it to the radio according to the wiring diagram.

Bob, there are no other auxiliary inputs into the audio system shown on the wiring diagram other than GPS and iPod.

The new harnesses have this. The new 590 harness which I have sitting here now has a Mini USB port and a MIC in jack. BRP does not make the cradle harness Garmin does. BRP adds the cradle mount and wiring to the bike. These extra connections are not connected to the bike. However inside the cradle is a 12-5V regulator that feeds the USB port.

Here is a pic

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110647&d=1435673123

Bob

billybovine
06-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Still confusing the OP says he has a Garmin 650. There is no such thing as a Zumo 650. There are 650's in other lines but none have a motorcycle mount and harness that I can tell.

finless
06-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Still confusing the OP says he has a Garmin 650. There is no such thing as a Zumo 650. There are 650's in other lines but none have a motorcycle mount and harness that I can tell.

I figured 650 was a typo. Bottom line he says he had the dealer install the cradle. The new cradles have the USB port he is asking about and the MIC in jack. This is all I am pointing out :)

Bob

dsoileau
06-30-2015, 11:26 AM
I couldn't remember the model number off the top of my head. I wanted the 665 model because of the advanced features (weather, traffic, XM radio, etc.), but the dealer told me the mounting hardware and 660 package was only thing available at that time. BRP confirmed this when I called, and they said the mount would work with the 665 should I decide to upgrade. There's a Groupon sale for the 660 at $379 (far less than what I paid) if anyone is interested: https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-garmin-zumo-660-motorcycle-gps-with-lifetime-map-updates?deal_option=4a52ac6a-ce02-49c0-83d4-9716fc3974bb&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US_DT_SEA_GGL_TIM_TTT_PADS_CBP_CHP_NB R_g*gg-garmin-zumo-660-motorcycle-gps-with-lifetime-map-updates_c*75068173861_k*_m*_d*Goods-Product-Ads_keyword*_target*_adposition*1o1_prodtarget*109 121116141_adtype*pla.

I do not know how the GPS is wired into the Spyder, but you can bet that I'm going to be looking over the mechanic's shoulder when the recall (excess heat) service is done tomorrow. I don't listen to the radio, so I don't know how the GPS is integrated. My frustration is with how the GPS overrides all other audio sources to my sync'd bluetooth headset. Also, I don't want to have to repeat all the directions to the other riders once the GPS has released control of the audio. I'm wanting persons sync'd to my bluetooth headset to hear the GPS at the same time that I do. They don't hear the GPS now because the GPS is sync'd only to my headset and it turns off bike-to-bike communication when giving directions. I may have to add another comm system (walkie talkie, CB, etc.) to transmit the GPS audio to others, and I'm hoping that the audio-out connector Bob pointed out will enable me to do that.

Side note. I've only just begun to use the GPS correctly. A route I recently created with BaseCamp on my Mac transferred to the Garmin 660 and navigated us beautifully through a long stretch of county roads, with most of the turns in the middle of nowhere. I finally reached the point of trusting the GPS enough to not use the iPhone Map app to verify all the GPS directions. Waypoints work!

finless
06-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Under the right hand passenger grip is the radio. Near the radio (just forward of it) is the GPS input connector to the radio. See my video below for how I did my own GPS connection to this.

1) The Audio out jack from the Garmin harness is wired into the Spyers radio GPS input plug via a cable BRP provides.
2) 12V power comes from the Spyders GPS plug to the Garmin harness to provide power.

That is all that is connected to the Spyder. The other connectors on the Garmin harness are not used by the Spyder.

So you know the GPS input connector from the radio ONLY support mono audio input. This is the Spyder's radio limitation not the GPS. Thus when trying to play music from the GPS, it will be mono not stereo. Again see my video as I prove this fact. So getting a GPS with XM, MP3, whatever support, no matter what if the GPS is wired to the radio, it's MONO!

Yes, per the Spyder's radio design, any audio input to the GPS connector overrides anything the Spyder's radio is playing. You cannot change this unless you unhook the GPS from this connector!!!

If you have Bluetooth on your helmet you can bind the Zumo to your helmet and now get true stereo..... but also realize GPS audio directions overrides anything else the Bluetooth unit is playing!!! GPS has priority so your going to have the same issue.

My video may help you understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTwhpdFq4Q

Bob