PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder driver that get sore after 1.5 driving.

renejean.aube
06-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a new owner of a st-s Spyder and twice I went for a 2 hours ride. I got sore in my private area, sorry if I offend anyone. I know that a man can complain for the little things, but this is no joke. I'm not stuck on the tank area when I drive and I wear briefs. Has anyone had this problem and any suggestions? I'm suppose to go on a 5 hours run with the guys in 3 weeks and I really don't want to cancel?

Thanks in advance
Auber29

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigerdr
06-28-2015, 01:47 PM
You need an AirHawks seat cushion and you can buy it from Canada Motorcycle (Montreal).

www.canadamotorcycle.ca

ARtraveler
06-28-2015, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a new owner of a st-s Spyder and twice I went for a 2 hours ride. I got sore in my private area, sorry if I offend anyone. I know that a man can complain for the little things, but this is no joke. I'm not stuck on the tank area when I drive and I wear briefs. Has anyone had this problem and any suggestions? I'm suppose to go on a 5 hours run with the guys in 3 weeks and I really don't want to cancel?

Thanks in advance
Auber29

It's that soft seat. Start with a sheepskin gel or an AirHawk. A hundred or so rather than $500 plus for a different seat. The BRP comfort seat is $649 and an improvement. Two inch setback and more firm padding. After that--the sky is the limit.

A lot of us feel or have felt your pain. :yes:

Chupaca
06-28-2015, 01:56 PM
get some good ryding pants that have gussets in the crotch. You can't imagine the difference...:thumbup: I get heavy firehose pants from Duluth Trading...

samewok
06-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Get a airhawk.

Dudley
06-28-2015, 02:03 PM
I had the same problem years ago. On one of my 2 week tours I met a Guzzi rider (I had a 1971 BMW R/5) with stock seat. I mentioned that to him and he said don't wear underwear. He said the extra material serves no purpose except to aggravate. It works!

renejean.aube
06-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I thought I was the only one with this situation. I'm looking at an airhawk.

Motorcycledave
06-28-2015, 04:35 PM
You can cure that with a GEL kit from motorcycledave.com
in the kit you get the MEDICAL GRADE GEL the same you see
in hospital beds so people don't get bed sores, It is easy to install
comes with everything needed except a staple gun. All for only $79.95
It fits under the upholstery is never seen from the outside can't be stolen
"unless they steel your seat" and makes all the difference.. No more pressure points.
If you can't do it your self any GOOD AUTOMOTIVE upholstery shop in your area can
for about $100.00 depending where you live and labor costs.
Check it out on my website.
Ride Safe
Dave

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
Auber29

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 04:44 PM
And... :welcome: :2thumbs:
I think that they've already gotten to the "Bottom" of the problem now... :D

cuznjohn
06-28-2015, 04:53 PM
i would also try a gel seat. it takes time to make the bike yours, trial and error makes it all better, i hope

kbwitt
06-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Get some SAXX underware. You can buy on line. .Amazon sells them. $25.00 a pair but your pair will love you for it. The Stay cool underware, Cycle Gear sells also good for this problem.
Kenn

bmccaffrey
06-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Bicycle shorts work also.
Extra padding :thumbup:

finless
06-28-2015, 07:00 PM
You have to find what makes you comfortable!

Everyone is different....

Here is my story. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Xna_VjqOc

Bob

Mr. White
06-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Some nice hand lotion applied to the "tender" area(s) sure helps. Try it, it works for me. :spyder2:

finless
06-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Some nice hand lotion applied to the "tender" area(s) sure helps. Try it, it works for me. :spyder2:

OMG.... that is a vision I did not need to see.... kidding ;)

Underwear and the seams in your underwear can make a HUGE difference.... Google search riding underwear. Makes a big difference!

Bob

bmccaffrey
06-28-2015, 08:03 PM

WHAAAAAAT. We Talking Same Subject :yikes:

Raknid
06-29-2015, 06:15 AM
Bicycle shorts work also.
Extra padding :thumbup:

I was going to suggest something similar. You can get bicycling underwear at many places including Amazon. They have integrated padding in the nether regions. I use for bicycling (I don't look good in bike shorts and can wear these under cargo shorts) and the ones I get are $14 USD on Amazon.

Edit - I also use an Alaska Sheepskin on my BMW seat with good result

Dan McNally
06-29-2015, 07:28 AM
I experienced the same pains with my stock seat within an hour. A sheepskin and a gelpad added, perhaps 30 minutes . . . I went with an AirHawk-R which made all the difference in the world. I can ride all day, now, with no issues. In April and early May, I rode 5390 miles in 15 days . . . the AirHawk R is a bit different than the other AirHawks, and has a channel in the middle where those "private parts" are located . . . minimizes pressure, there.

You will need to pay close attention to the directions with regard to how much air goes in it . . . it doesn't take much . . . you sit in it, rather than on it!

Bob Denman
06-29-2015, 08:32 AM
:shocked: George,
How does your Missus find the time to manage THIS "Labor of Love"? :dontknow:

And No; we really don't need a link to any Youtube videos about this! :yikes:

Ex-Rocket
06-29-2015, 08:42 AM
I can't imagine why any of our Spydergirls haven't chimmed in yet as to having the same type of problem.:popcorn::popcorn:

dartex
06-29-2015, 11:21 AM
only way to go use it on my f3s and in my pickup truck really makes a big difference

Cruzr Joe
06-29-2015, 12:30 PM
Get the Airhawk "R"

Cruzr Joe

jaherbst
06-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Back when I was riding with a patched club an old crusty, bearded rider heard me complaining about a sore butt. He said don't you know about Gold Bond. I thought to myself, what am I getting into here. He went on to state that my sore butt was from chapping and to get some Gold Bond lotion and powder. Put the lotion on the parts that touch the seat then put powder on over the lotion. Lotion keeps the powder in place.

I snuck out of my tent that night and went to Walgreens, bought the Gold Bond lotion and powder and never looked back. I have been doing this now for at least 25 years and never had a sore butt since. Not sure what the social stigma is here but get over it. It damn well works or should I say it works damn well.

Pictures on request.:yikes:

Jack

Sold my AirHawk to a guy in Post Falls ID. Don't need it anymore. Wife says no, I can't send pictures. Sorry

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Back when I was riding with a patched club an old crusty, bearded rider heard me complaining about a sore butt. He said don't you know about Gold Bond.
Is that similar, or maybe a cheaper version of, Monkey Butt Powder? I've never tried it but I've seen it discussed in Goldwing forums. Wonder why no one has mentioned it here?

dlby
06-30-2015, 03:46 AM
Agree with all the above

One more thing tho is if u are new to riding or getting back after an extended time you have to get your biker butt toughened up
Takes us a few weeks if looong winter

Otherwise YES do all you can to help
I switched to silky boxers from cotton briefs
%75 BETTER

bicycle pants are great for long rides
Fixed up in all right spots

mastertek2000
06-30-2015, 04:48 AM
baby powder works great

Rockwall
06-30-2015, 09:34 AM
The stock Spyder seat sucks. I rode with an Airhawk (which is now for sale by the way) for two years and had much improved results. After long Club rides of 300-400+ miles the pain was back. I just upgraded to a full custom seat and got a great deal on a used one from a Spyderlovers member. That is a giant step beyond the Airhawk. Keep trying until you are happy.:doorag:

pegasus1300
06-30-2015, 09:51 AM
+3 on the powder. Gold Bond,Johnson and Johnson, Pinaud whatever you can find. I use Johnson&Johnson because you can find it in the sample size bottles that are easy to carry on a motorcycle.

easysuper
06-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Monkey Butt Powder !
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110679&stc=1

Rockwall
06-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Underwear , powder and lotion have their place, but the problem is still the stock seat.

ulflyer
06-30-2015, 02:40 PM
I think he's talking about Willie and friends that get squished.
Use some loose jeans, no underwear, and lift them up as you sit down on the seat. :opps:

jaherbst
06-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Is that similar, or maybe a cheaper version of, Monkey Butt Powder? I've never tried it but I've seen it discussed in Goldwing forums. Wonder why no one has mentioned it here?

It is a combination of the lotion and the powder. Monkey Butt is just a powder. Put the lotion on your butt and back of upper thighs then the powder on over the lotion. This honestly works and will last a whole day. If you just use the powder it will not stay on for longer than an hour.

Gold Bond--don't leave home without it. Once you try this you will never try anything else.

Jack

Peter Aawen
06-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Underwear , powder and lotion have their place, but the problem is still the stock seat.

Just powder the seat.... No more problem!! :joke:

Dunno about changing its underwear tho, but I'm pretty sure slathering it with lotion wouldn't be a good idea!! :yikes:

:roflblack::roflblack::joke:

Brian Kay
06-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Well, I guess I mis-read his original post... It sounded to me that his problem is not a sore butt, it's that he's sitting on his nuggets! He needs some help on corralling those things... Maybe a jock strap will work!? Yeah probably there powder and lotion too, but God damn he must have cantoloupes down there to be up on the glove box. :roflblack:

jimclarkf1
06-30-2015, 09:10 PM
I thought all bikers had that problem, just never talked about it.