PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Brand New

H2O
06-27-2015, 11:06 PM
I recently purchased an item from a Spyderlovers member which he advertised on this forum as "Brand New". When I received the item, there were obvious bug splatters on it and it was easy to see where the mounting screws had left circular marks/depressions in their pockets. I sent a PM to the seller letting him know the package had arrived and also stated that for being brand new, there were several bug splatters. I could see that member was online when I sent the PM but well over 24 hours later he has not provided an explanation.

Now don't get me wrong, the item appears to functional (it was raining today, so no riding) but to me "Brand New" does not mean used. If he had advertised it as used with XXX miles, then I could have used that information to decide if the asking price was reasonable. In my opinion it was misrepresented. Based on the member's signature line, he appears to be a spiritual man so I hope some sincere prayer and inner reflection will guide his conscious.

H2O

cptjam
06-28-2015, 12:47 AM
Brand new means unused. Like new is used in great condition. Send it back. JMHO, joe

pitzerwm
06-28-2015, 01:26 AM
Due to previous experience when I see any religious references on a business card or in this case a signature, I go the other way. Would you put on your business card, "I;m a Republican/Democrat? I think not, then why put I'm a Catholic/Protestant or the sign of the fish on your card or signature.

IMO my religion and political beliefs are my business and yours are yours. Especially at our age, no one is going to change either.

If they do not make some adjustment shortly, I'd burn them here, that gives the rest of us a heads up. The purpose of the forum is to help each other. Praise good dealers/sponsors and burn the bad ones.

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Nothing is more valuable and pristine, than something that you are trying to sell...
And nothing is more worthless and used up, than something that you are trying to buy...
Count it as a lesson learned, and move forward. :thumbup:

JayBros
06-28-2015, 08:00 AM
+1 on Joe's comment. and item with bug guts on it might have been reasonably claimed to be "like new" or "gently used, like new" but "brand new" is virgin in my book. That's a not so humble opinion!:)

scott16119
06-28-2015, 08:44 AM
If he's not man enough to respond to your PM after a reasonable amount of time, let us know who we need to watch out for on here if he has more "brand new" items for sale on Spyderlovers.

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry... :shocked:
This isn't something that should be handled out in a public forum...
The two people involved should deal with it privately, and report back when a successful conclusion is reached.
Public shaming isn't pretty... remember what the Pilgrims used to do?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110448&stc=1

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 08:52 AM
...If you listen to fools...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cATPLk559XY&feature=player_detailpage

wyliec
06-28-2015, 09:04 AM
I'm sorry... :shocked:
This isn't something that should be handled out in a public forum...
The two people involved should deal with it privately, and report back when a successful conclusion is reached.
Public shaming isn't pretty... remember what the Pilgrims used to do?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110448&stc=1

I agree, whether an individual selling one part or a site sponsor.

Bob,

I like the words of wisdom in post #4. Where did they come from?

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 09:17 AM
:opps: I really hate to admit it...

...They just fell out of my head! :yikes:

Please feel free to use them... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-28-2015, 01:26 PM
There is always some "puffing" when items are sold.

Blatant mis-advertising is another issue.

I am not the one here, but:

I know that I have used the words "like new" when advertising my Corbin seat--but also mentioned I had used it for 36,000 miles so it was well broken in.

My floorboards were not pretty when shipped out--but the customer was happy with them.

I am guessing this is an isolated incident and we do not have to flame the person in public. If it is an ongoing thing--that is another subject.

Wippi01
06-28-2015, 02:24 PM
:opps: I really hate to admit it...

...They just fell out of my head! :yikes:

Please feel free to use them... [emoji106]
It must be running in the family, Bob...

I still remember some of the wisdom from your grandad that you shared a while ago and now you continue the legacy of aphorisms...
That's awesome [emoji1] [emoji2] [emoji3]

JerryB
06-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Hi H2O,

Re: I sent the PM but well over 24 hours later

All of us here can only offer opinions. For me, 'new' means 'absolutely new.' And that allows for the original packaging to be missing.

However, I also think '24 hours later' is too quick. He might be gone for a few days/a week/more.

IMO give him some more time; maybe a 2nd PM. If he fails to reply after a reasonable length of time, then out him.

YMMV

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 04:42 PM
It must be running in the family, Bob...

I still remember some of the wisdom from your grandad that you shared a while ago and now you continue the legacy of aphorisms...
That's awesome [emoji1] [emoji2] [emoji3]
Thanks! :D
He forgot more about "common sense", than most of us will ever know... :bowdown:

trikermutha
06-28-2015, 06:55 PM
:bdh:

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-29-2015, 09:51 AM
when i sell stuff at my store, new-not used!! take off-50 miles or less, perfect used or we have grading system for used.
i tell customers when they buy something & they want to make sure it fits like spacers, if you have to return them i don't
want to see any grease or scratches on them from the fit check & i will take it back.

H2O
06-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks to all who stayed on subject and I agree with the comment that brand new is virgin, never installed condition. That was not the case here. The seller has not and I do not expect him to reply to my PM. As far as giving him time, he was online when I sent the PM and the message notification should have popped up in front of him while he was still logged in to Spyderlovers.

It's amazing that out of 15 replies, one person logged 5 all by himself. To that poster, it's easy to stand on the sidelines and say chalk it up to experience. I doubt you would feel that way if you were sold an item advertised to be brand new and find that it was not as advertised. I call it intentional misrepresentation, and for what - so the seller can put a few extra dollars in his pocket. Spyderlovers members should treat each other better than that.

I struggled with identifying the seller to help other members, and I have decided not to do it directly. If someone really wants to know the identity, I have already provided one clue based on his signature line. A final clue is his avatar, which reminds me of Ebenezer Scrooge.

I'm done with this and will not be adding to this thread.

H2O