PDA

View Full Version : Heat recall on other model RT's?

pslawing
06-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Has anyone heard of dealers doing any heat recall work on 2012 RT's like they are doing on the 2013's?

Dan McNally
06-27-2015, 03:42 PM
I haven't . . . enter your VIN at this link and any recalls that are required on your Spyder will show up.

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/safety/safety-recalls-vin-lookup.html

Bob Denman
06-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Nope... There's nothing for any of the other model year bikes.
What sort of problem are you having with the bike? :dontknow:

pslawing
06-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Bob,
None really, just thought the vents they are putting on the 13's would fit the 12's. I guess I'm use to some heat coming off the rt side. I've put Spyderpops block off plates and did the cat bypass. Still not as cool as my husband's 2015!

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 09:15 AM
The 2015s are a completely different animal. :thumbup:
With the TWO radiators out in front of the front suspension; you get no hot air being blown onto you by the radiator fans. :bowdown:
When I had my 2010 I ran a "test" on it to see how bad the heat could be.
We had a 95 degree day up here (about as bad as we ever get to see), so I stripped down to just shorts and my helmet, and went for a ride...
Out in the open: no noticeable heat at all from the bike. It wasn't until I found a bit of stop & go traffic, that I started to feel any heat from the bike. Even with that; the ambient temperatures were FAR more disagreeable, than the bike's heat.

finless
06-28-2015, 09:36 AM
FYI, on facebook two people now have said their dealers were told by BRP that in good will the scoops can be ordered and installed on 2010-2012 Spyder. If still under warranty it is free. If not it is $175 for labor.

Here is one post:

Those on RT's that aren't the 2013, our dealership here just told us about BRP's goodwill for the other years RT. If you are still under warranty, they will give you the new scoops and cover the labor to install the new parts. If you are not under warranty, they are giving you the parts but you have to pay the labor. Our shop is only charging 175$ for the labor. I removed the blockoff plate at time of the recall work and I feel some heat but it's not an uncomfortable heat. Of course my legs are too short to reach them highway foot rests I have but.. after a 600 mile ride last weekend, I can say I did not have ANY uncomfortable heat moments, even with the block off removed.

Bob

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 09:40 AM
Bob,
I've probably just missed this clarification... :opps:
If they install them on the pre-2013 RT; do they also remove the baffling, that helps to increase the airflow underneath that Tupperware? :dontknow:

finless
06-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Bob,
I've probably just missed this clarification... :opps:
If they install them on the pre-2013 RT; do they also remove the baffling, that helps to increase the airflow underneath that Tupperware? :dontknow:

You mean the inner acoustic panels? Yes pretty sure they would or the scoops wont do much.

Bob

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 11:47 AM
In THAT case... COOL! :thumbup: :D

tigerdr
06-28-2015, 12:30 PM
For Spyder RT 2010-2012, I check with BRP last week if the scoop will be available. BRP told me they will decide ONLY after the recall of all 2013 RT will be completed.

So, no decision for the moment.

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Actually; that is not surprising, and is certainly more than fair... :thumbup:

Jeriatric
06-28-2015, 05:49 PM
:popcorn:

Bob Denman
06-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Have you called yet, to see what your dealer's take is on this? :dontknow:

finless
06-28-2015, 07:25 PM
Have you called yet, to see what your dealer's take is on this? :dontknow:

I will Monday AM.

Considering I have heard this story from other Ca. dealers now MORE than once (Central Ca where it is hotter).... I have to find out what dealers in my area say!

Bob

Oldmanzues
06-29-2015, 09:46 AM
I am not sure at this point if I have a problem with my 2010 RT or not. Rode it on a really warn day, 90 and the heat on the side panels, glove compartment and gas tank were untouchable. Just stated this spring. dealer said, they could find nothing wrong and BUDS did not indicate over heating. so if if it ever stops pouring rain, I will check
Oldmanzues

Pirate looks at --
06-29-2015, 09:51 AM
At our last SRA meeting this month our scoops were the talk of the parking lot after the meeting especially since during the meeting our President received a text from one local dealer saying that any 2010 to 2012 that was still under warranty could have the scoops installed for free. I don't think the were doing the complete Evap system relocation that they do on the 13. So now we have several 10 to 12 owners going in to get their scoops!:yes::yes:

NorCalBud
06-29-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm scheduled to have 'em installed on Thursday on my '12 RTL. My local dealer says he's ordered them and should arrive Wednesday and will be covered by my warranty....I'm not sure what is involved beyond mounting them, but I'll let you know when it's done.

pslawing
06-29-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm scheduled to have 'em installed on Thursday on my '12 RTL. My local dealer says he's ordered them and should arrive Wednesday and will be covered by my warranty....I'm not sure what is involved beyond mounting them, but I'll let you know when it's done.

Wow! Thanks!
will save this to show to my dealer!
will be watching for your results!

jroberts650
07-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Wonder if you could call the dealer and they give you the scoops if you're out of warranty and then you put them on yourself? Or would you have to have the service dept install them? I'm not crazy about paying $175 for them to take a few screws out of the deflectors and then mount these with a few screws and charge that ridiculous amount. But if they would give me the scoops free, I can install myself and then take the acoustic panels out.

FYI, on facebook two people now have said their dealers were told by BRP that in good will the scoops can be ordered and installed on 2010-2012 Spyder. If still under warranty it is free. If not it is $175 for labor.

Here is one post:

Bob

finless
07-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Wonder if you could call the dealer and they give you the scoops if you're out of warranty and then you put them on yourself? Or would you have to have the service dept install them? I'm not crazy about paying $175 for them to take a few screws out of the deflectors and then mount these with a few screws and charge that ridiculous amount. But if they would give me the scoops free, I can install myself and then take the acoustic panels out.

The panels have to be cut at the existing vents for the scoops to fit. The kit comes with a template tool to make it easy for the dealer to cut the panels right. I am sure you could do it yourself without the "jig" but better be good with a dremel!

Bob

Bob Denman
07-01-2015, 01:21 PM
:shocked::agree:
I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR that bodywork with a saw... :yikes:

...Let that fall to the dealer! :thumbup:

jroberts650
07-01-2015, 01:56 PM
I mean what has to be cut out? Looks like to me on the posts that people are posting with their pics of the scoops installed, they are just mounted over the existing vent holes in the side. Plus if there's a template, it shouldnt be that hard. They cut it the same way, with a dremel or other suitable saw. I'm sure their work isn't perfect but doesnt matter since it becomes a permenant fixture of the machine.

pslawing
07-01-2015, 02:29 PM
From a FB post of someone who did the work

"The one pic with panel laying on bench shows the area where your old vent was. The new ducts get mounted over that big hole and force air into motor bay. We only remove about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of plastic around the old hole. BRP sends us templates that we trace onto your panels then cut out with a air saw. Then we drill 5 holes and mount them" Ed Taylor

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110742&stc=1 Photo is from FB by Ed Taylor

jroberts650
07-01-2015, 02:34 PM
I didn't think it was very much material that needed to be removed. The area that the vents are in is pretty big to start with. I think this would be an easy mod to do. Hopefully i can get the scoops without having to have them do the install.

From a FB post of someone who did the work

"The one pic with panel laying on bench shows the area where your old vent was. The new ducts get mounted over that big hole and force air into motor bay. We only remove about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of plastic around the old hole. BRP sends us templates that we trace onto your panels then cut out with a air saw. Then we drill 5 holes and mount them" Ed Taylor

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110742&stc=1 Photo is from FB by Ed Taylor

Pirate looks at --
07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
If yiu don't cut the panels there is not point to of puttin them on. Gotta get that air to the engine. Replacing those silly fixed side wings so no problem at all.

jroberts650
07-01-2015, 02:46 PM
So I just called my dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about with BRP doing a goodwill on older models. And the scoops aren't available to purchase.

Pirate looks at --
07-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Time for a new Dealer :banghead:

jroberts650
07-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Don't worry I've called several in my area but no one has any information on goodwill work. One had no clue on what I should do but 2 said to call BRP and let them know my problems and if they issue a case number then for me to call the dealer back. plus all 3 said that the scoops wouldn't work on any prior RT models because the panels are different and the scoops wouldn't fit. :dontknow:

Time for a new Dealer :banghead:

finless
07-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Just like when the recal game out, some dealers had no clue!

They should call BRP and get the info not you.

Bob

samewok
07-01-2015, 05:24 PM
There is more to do than just cuting the hole bigger.
there is baffles that have to be removed .
that is all I know.

Pirate looks at --
07-02-2015, 09:22 AM
:agree:QUOTE=finless;1000298]Just like when the recal game out, some dealers had no clue!

They should call BRP and get the info not you.

Bob[/QUOTE]

jtoro1
07-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Asked my dealer they want $300 for the scoops installation extra , I have a 2012 RTS .Have anyone found a better deal.

Bob Denman
07-02-2015, 05:53 PM

It sure sounds as if they could be free... :thumbup:

NorCalBud
07-02-2015, 06:53 PM
The scoops have come in for my '12 RTL, but I was unable to get the Spyder dropped off at the dealer today as I had hoped. :banghead:
So, because I've got a ryde this weekend, I've rescheduled to drop off on Monday and hopefully pickup after work on Tuesday....Stay tuned....

Bob Denman
07-02-2015, 06:56 PM
:bbq::bbq::bbq: :thumbup:

pslawing
07-07-2015, 08:08 PM
The scoops have come in for my '12 RTL, but I was unable to get the Spyder dropped off at the dealer today as I had hoped. :banghead:
So, because I've got a ryde this weekend, I've rescheduled to drop off on Monday and hopefully pickup after work on Tuesday....Stay tuned....

Just wondering if you got your bike back from the heat recall work on your 12?

NorCalBud
07-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Not their fault at all and they're still up for doing it, but unfortunately I've missed 2 appointments to have it done in the last 2 weeks, because I haven't been able to get the Spyder down there. I work same hours they do... Now they can't get me in until next Friday. :banghead:
I promise I'll let you know when I pick it up and will post some pics.

Upstater
07-10-2015, 10:04 AM
I just stopped at my dealer yesterday. He called BRP and received the ok for installing the retro air scoops on my 2012 RT Ltd. While in stop and go traffic above 90 deg, the heat under the seat was getting excessive. The temp gauge was just below danger zone. I'm in upstate NY and can only imagine how uncomfortable this might be in southern states.

The air scoop kit and dealer install is being covered under my extended warranty. As soon as they are installed I will post pics and report on effectiveness. I know some owners do not care for the look. However, I think they look real sporty and add a nice touch. Free farkle, that actually has some use... Sure!

The key to the conversation with the dealer was NOT using the 2013 recall as the starting point. He did a quick search on bulletins and found the correct info for prior models with heat issues. I think it is bulletin 11-2333 (?). Maybe someone with BRP access can confirm the number.

Not every dealer (like car dealers) are in tune with everything. Find another dealer if you do not get what you need. I am fortunate to have a great dealer that cares about the customer and will stop at nothing to satisfy! :firstplace:

jroberts650
07-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Just got off the phone with my dealer and they said the scoops were made to fit the 2013's only. So I asked if they could call BRP and inquire about them ok'ing the scoops for my year and they said it wouldn't work.

So I ended up calling BRP myself but they insisted I take the machine to the dealer and have them diagnose my gas boiling problem and excessive heat to see if they have a fix. Of course I would have to front all the expenses for a diagnosis or fix that may or may not work. I guess I'm just going to have to go at it on my own to find solutions. Wish I was as lucky as some of the other people here.

I just stopped at my dealer yesterday. He called BRP and received the ok for installing the retro air scoops on my 2012 RT Ltd. While in stop and go traffic above 90 deg, the heat under the seat was getting excessive. The temp gauge was just below danger zone. I'm in upstate NY and can only imagine how uncomfortable this might be in southern states.

The air scoop kit and dealer install is being covered under my extended warranty. As soon as they are installed I will post pics and report on effectiveness. I know some owners do not care for the look. However, I think they look real sporty and add a nice touch. Free farkle, that actually has some use... Sure!

The key to the conversation with the dealer was NOT using the 2013 recall as the starting point. He did a quick search on bulletins and found the correct info for prior models with heat issues. I think it is bulletin 11-2333 (?). Maybe someone with BRP access can confirm the number.

Not every dealer (like car dealers) are in tune with everything. Find another dealer if you do not get what you need. I am fortunate to have a great dealer that cares about the customer and will stop at nothing to satisfy! :firstplace:

finless
07-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Your dealer is WRONG. The panels that are cut to mount the scoops are the same panel for 2010-2013.

What I would do is call a dealer that is doing them for 2010-2012 per BRP and see what they say needs to be done. Then have YOUR dealer call that dealer if they are willing. This is what I did for someone out here. There is a dealer installing this in Ca. as noted in the first post. A friend called me saying his dealer said no only for 2013. I told him to call the other dealer and get the story. He then went back to his dealer and they called the other dealer. Done.

Bob

jroberts650
07-10-2015, 11:42 AM
I've called every dealer around me within 120 miles but they all say the same thing. That its only for 2013 and they aren't doing any of the scoops for older models unless BRP directs them too. But they won't even call BRP.

Your dealer is WRONG. The panels that are cut to mount the scoops are the same panel for 2010-2013.

What I would do is call a dealer that is doing them for 2010-2012 per BRP and see what they say needs to be done. Then have YOUR dealer call that dealer if they are willing. This is what I did for someone out here. There is a dealer installing this in Ca. as noted in the first post. A friend called me saying his dealer said no only for 2013. I told him to call the other dealer and get the story. He then went back to his dealer and they called the other dealer. Done.

Bob

Upstater
07-10-2015, 12:06 PM
You can also buy the kit and do it yourself if you are out of warranty. The kit is approx. $75 (don't quote me, I think that's what the dealer told me). I will get more specific information and the actual bulletin he showed me. If you are good with a Dremel on plastic, then have at it.

Again, the KEY here is to NOT discuss the 2013. :banghead: This is not part of that recall. The scoop kit for the 2010-2012 happens to be part of what is included in the overall kit for the 2013. This is also a "good-will" fix provided by BRP. Perhaps too many folks are calling now and they are backing off?

finless
07-10-2015, 12:08 PM
My opinion is BRP needs to release a tech bulletin for dealers to see this. My understanding was this was word of mouth to dealers about other year models where users are complaining of heat.

Thus you may have to go down that path with your dealers. Tell them to file a case with BRP and it should get you there.

If your out of warranty you will be paying labor.

Bob

Upstater
07-10-2015, 12:10 PM
I was told the BRP Kit # is: 219800388. Google comes up blank on a search for this.

jroberts650
07-10-2015, 12:13 PM
I was wold that the scoops weren't available to purchase.

You can also buy the kit and do it yourself if you are out of warranty. The kit is approx. $75 (don't quote me, I think that's what the dealer told me). I will get more specific information and the actual bulletin he showed me. If you are good with a Dremel on plastic, then have at it.

Again, the KEY here is to NOT discuss the 2013. :banghead: This is not part of that recall. The scoop kit for the 2010-2012 happens to be part of what is included in the overall kit for the 2013. This is also a "good-will" fix provided by BRP. Perhaps too many folks are calling now and they are backing off?

jroberts650
07-10-2015, 12:20 PM
On parts schematics it still shows the deflectors that go under the mirrors, no scoops. Therefore no part numbers yet on the new scoop pieces.

Upstater
07-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I was wold that the scoops weren't available to purchase.

:cus: :banghead:

It is absolutely amazing to me how dealers cannot satisfy the very customers they so desperately need. Hang tight, I will get the correct Bulletin for you. It may take a few days unless someone else can get a hold of one. At the very least, I will buy it for you and ship it to you.
:gaah:This whole discussion is really tee-ing me off (at the dealers). A simple and affordable solution that has become so difficult for some to get remedied. Now I'm on a mission!!

finless
07-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Here is the recall bulletin.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BFwCzfMWZ8d3dKTC16TnVrNm8/view?usp=sharing

Bob

jroberts650
07-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks, it really is frustrating. Our dealer in our town is new, only been open 2 months. But they have no concern at all about trying to get any information for me.

:cus: :banghead:

It is absolutely amazing to me how dealers cannot satisfy the very customers they so desperately need. Hang tight, I will get the correct Bulletin for you. It may take a few days unless someone else can get a hold of one. At the very least, I will buy it for you and ship it to you.
:gaah:This whole discussion is really tee-ing me off (at the dealers). A simple and affordable solution that has become so difficult for some to get remedied. Now I'm on a mission!!

Upstater
07-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks, it really is frustrating. Our dealer in our town is new, only been open 2 months. But they have no concern at all about trying to get any information for me.

Okay... I just called my dealer. He was on the BRP Dealer's site and found "Article 112333." In my case, under warranty, he had to submit for approval. HOWEVER, since you have a 2010 and are probably out of warranty (?), you should be able to purchase the kit from your dealer. My dealer can purchase the kit seperately (under $100).

Make sure your dealer is NOT confusing this with the 2013 recall. That model should NOT come up in your conversation. If it does... walk out, come back in, and start over (lol). If your dealer is new, they may not be familiar with the BRP Dealer's site.

We are waiting for the kit to arrive so we can make sure it is going to work as expected. If it is as we expected and your dealer still has not helped you, we can something up. My dealer is willing to help you out. But he wants to make sure this kit is appropriate first.

Stay tuned...

Upstater
07-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Here is the recall bulletin.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BFwCzfMWZ8d3dKTC16TnVrNm8/view?usp=sharing

Bob

Thanks, Bob. But, this bulletin does not apply to older models and is causing more confusion. This bulletin is ONLY for 2013. The 2013 kit includes modifications to the fuel system and will cause more harm than good in 2010-2013 models.
We are just looking for the Air Scoops here. The increased air circulation around the engine helps cool the seat area better.

Upstater
07-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks, Bob. But, this bulletin does not apply to older models and is causing more confusion. This bulletin is ONLY for 2013. The 2013 kit includes modifications to the fuel system and will cause more harm than good in 2010-2013 models.
We are just looking for the Air Scoops here. The increased air circulation around the engine helps cool the seat area better.

Ooops, meant to say,"...will cause more harm than good in 2010-2012 models." My bad!

Jeriatric
07-10-2015, 02:47 PM
If they did?

They would take the guess work out of this and announce whether pre '13 owners will be provided the air flow upgrade.... or not.

How difficult could that be?

I mean.... Really!

Oldmanzues
07-11-2015, 06:59 PM
I had serious heat problems with my 2010RT. At dealers now waiting for answers. Case opened
Oldmanzues

jascreek
07-13-2015, 03:31 PM
There is an publication concerning this topic. It is TST #112333. Technical Service Tips (TST). It must be searched for without the hyphen. Can-Am will cover parts and labor on units in the regular warranty period (the first two years). All other units must request a goodwill warranty coverage.

Pirate looks at --
07-13-2015, 04:06 PM
There is an publication concerning this topic. It is TST #112333. Technical Service Tips (TST). It must be searched for without the hyphen. Can-Am will cover parts and labor on units in the regular warranty period (the first two years). All other units must request a goodwill warranty coverage.
We have had no fewer than 5 members of our SRA chapter that have had the scoops added to their 2011 and 2012 RTs with dramatic improvements in heat. This was done at no cost to the owners and picked up by BRP.

pslawing
07-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Lots of great information here! I love spyderlovers! Gonna take this info with me and talk to my dealer!

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-14-2015, 01:59 AM
Until BRP and the dealers get their stories straight, I did a little work myself on my 2012 RT that has helped a little bit. I removed the acoustic panels along with the 2 small air deflectors underneath the mirrors. Removing the deflectors allows some of the airflow to go into the vents that the deflectors were blocking. Not a lot, but some. This isn't a replacement for having scoops force air into the vents, but until BRP decides what they are going to do for pre-2013 RT's, every little bit helps. I'm one of the shorts and flip-flop crowd, (yeah, I know, but I want to feel the air and the sun) and this has helped some. Now to get the 2014 right side grill and bottom block off plate unless I fashion something up myself. If I do it myself, I plan on using double sided Velcro twin stick so I can remove the block off plates in the winter.

jroberts650
07-14-2015, 07:06 AM
I removed my acoustic panels also this past weekend. Helped a good bit with the heat coming up from the seat. Also removed the air deflectors. Next on the list will be to wrap the exhaust. At least the left side pipe. Wow that thing gets HOT!

Dealer just doesn't want to help me with the scoops. Said they will not fit a 2010. :dontknow:

Pirate looks at --
07-14-2015, 09:39 AM
I removed my acoustic panels also this past weekend. Helped a good bit with the heat coming up from the seat. Also removed the air deflectors. Next on the list will be to wrap the exhaust. At least the left side pipe. Wow that thing gets HOT!

Dealer just doesn't want to help me with the scoops. Said they will not fit a 2010. :dontknow:

Time to find a new dealer. The dealers in California are doing these as long as your bike is under warranty. You may want to reach out to BRP directly! Oh and they will fit! The body panels are them same on the 2010 as they are on the 2013.

jroberts650
07-14-2015, 11:09 AM
I know they fit, you know they fit, we all know they fit. But I am continuously told this from the 4 dealers that are with in 120 miles of me. And as far as finding another dealer, thats out. Unless I go 2 states away. And BRP is just as bad. They don't want to deal with individuals, it's always "Take it to the dealer, they may be able to figure out a solution". "But you have to pay for the diagnosis charge" :banghead:

I'm just going to find my own ways to fix my heat problems. :pray:

Time to find a new dealer. The dealers in California are doing these as long as your bike is under warranty. You may want to reach out to BRP directly! Oh and they will fit! The body panels are them same on the 2010 as they are on the 2013.

Bob Denman
07-14-2015, 12:17 PM
:agree: They'll fit; no problem!
BRP doesn't want to deal directly with consumers, because they have a dealership network for that! :thumbup:

pslawing
07-14-2015, 12:23 PM

What are the acoustic panels?

Upstater
07-14-2015, 12:50 PM
I know they fit, you know they fit, we all know they fit. But I am continuously told this from the 4 dealers that are with in 120 miles of me. And as far as finding another dealer, thats out. Unless I go 2 states away. And BRP is just as bad. They don't want to deal with individuals, it's always "Take it to the dealer, they may be able to figure out a solution". "But you have to pay for the diagnosis charge" :banghead:

I'm just going to find my own ways to fix my heat problems. :pray:
I can order the kit and ship it to you. My dealer is just waiting to get it in and install on my RT first, to make sure it's correct. Hang tight, help is on the way!

Magdave
07-14-2015, 03:38 PM
I can order the kit and ship it to you. My dealer is just waiting to get it in and install on my RT first, to make sure it's correct. Hang tight, help is on the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2WJ2r0NkM

Upstater
07-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Just got the call. The kit has arrived and I'm scheduled for this Friday. :yes::yes::yes:

Pirate looks at --
07-14-2015, 04:27 PM
From what I have heard from other 2012 owners is this will really be awesome!

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-14-2015, 06:18 PM
What are the acoustic panels?

They are two large black panels underneath the side panels. They have some insulation on them to block sound, but they also allow some of the heat around the engine to build up and be contained. I removed mine and I can't tell any difference in noise level. Taking them off allows a little more air flow. Not a lot, but some. It has helped a little. Mind you, I am not complaining about the heat the Beast gives off, especially with my summer clothing choices, but my wife does complain about the hot air riding up on her right foot and leg. Just ordered the 2014 right side grill from BRP. We will see if that helps some when it arrives.

finless
07-15-2015, 01:05 PM
In part 1 of my tri-axis handlebar install video I show the acoustic panels and how to remove them.

Bob

Oldmanzues
07-15-2015, 07:59 PM
My dealer is in "Discussion" with BRP about the heat problem on my 2010 RT.
Oldmanzues

Sarge707
07-15-2015, 08:57 PM
The Kit is available at ALL dealers.
I just ordered mine today after taking off the Acoustic Panels Yesterday.
Its $67 for the kit and Since my dealer is 8 miles away I will bring in the 2 Panels and they will put the scoops on for probably 1/2 hour labor since they do not have to deal with the Spyder itself- Only the panels?

If you have Not taken off both under panels on your 2010-2012 RT you should do ASAP as they are easy to take off with 2-3 10mm small bolts.

With the Acoustic Panels Gone (Which Surround the Cylinder Heads) and the Bottom panels off And the Vents the air will flow in the vents then through the cylinder/Motor area and exit out the bottom and you should be a Happy Camper?:yikes::lecturef_smilie::hun:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
07-16-2015, 01:48 AM
Its $67 for the kit and Since my dealer is 8 miles away I will bring in the 2 Panels and they will put the scoops on for probably 1/2 hour labor since they do not have to deal with the Spyder itself- Only the panels?

If you have Not taken off both under panels on your 2010-2012 RT you should do ASAP as they are easy to take off with 2-3 10mm small bolts.

With the Acoustic Panels Gone (Which Surround the Cylinder Heads) and the Bottom panels off And the Vents the air will flow in the vents then through the cylinder/Motor area and exit out the bottom and you should be a Happy Camper?:yikes::lecturef_smilie::hun:

Do you have a part number for the kit. $67 is a pretty good price for the scoops!

jroberts650
07-16-2015, 05:52 AM
Yes, if you have part numbers, please provide them. My dealer still tells me they are unavailable to purchase right now.

Sarge707
07-16-2015, 07:49 AM
Yes, if you have part numbers, please provide them. My dealer still tells me they are unavailable to purchase right now.

I just printed Pages 18-22 of the recall notice posted earlier in the thread called "Adding Air Intake Scoops to the side panels." I showed it personally to my dealer and he ordered it right away and will be here Friday!

Read the entire recall link posted earlier and you will see it.
Its Not a question of if your dealer can order it - Its a question of whether they want to bother enough to help you after the sale?

Mention TST#112333 and Kit # 219800388 as posted earlier in this thread.

SpydermanCT
07-16-2015, 11:09 AM
I have a 2010 RTS with about 25K on it. I do have a Best warranty that expires November of this year.

After reading this post early this morning I contacted my dealer by email. He responded at 9:30am via email stating he ordered parts for me and they could be installed next Wednesday at no cost to me. The invoice he emailed me said :

Install Air Scoop Retrofit Kit on 2010-2012 RT Models as per TST61Y010S09
Part Number 219800388 Air Scoop Kit
Claim Type Goodwill

Like Sarge said, I guess there are some dealerships willing to take care of there customers, and there are some that are not.

BTW ~ it's good to hear from you Sarge !!

Upstater
07-17-2015, 04:31 PM
I just printed Pages 18-22 of the recall notice posted earlier in the thread called "Adding Air Intake Scoops to the side panels." I showed it personally to my dealer and he ordered it right away and will be here Friday!

Read the entire recall link posted earlier and you will see it.
Its Not a question of if your dealer can order it - Its a question of whether they want to bother enough to help you after the sale?

Just had the work done this morning. The TST and Kit numbers above are correct. MUCH more comfortable to ride now. The temp gauge is also more normal. This was covered by my warrantee. BRP has the right to refuse the coverage, but in my case gave approval with no questions asked. At the very least, any dealer worth doing business with will order the kit for you. If you can't find a local dealer, call around and have it shipped to you.

Bensonoid
07-17-2015, 04:48 PM
I'm glad they're doing this for other years. I think the scoops are the biggest improvement in mine. They all need them.

NorCalBud
07-20-2015, 12:06 PM
I've been outta town for a couple of weeks and haven't been able to update. I dropped off my '12 RTL last Friday 7/17/15 to get the scoops installed and check my compressor/airbag issue. They're on the job... I'll attach pics when I get The Captain back.

Sarge707
07-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Great Kit. Last 2 Days have been Mid-Nineties with High Humidity and I got 4 bars whenever I was at a steady speed for more than a minute or 2!!! Also When I gas up at the end of each ride a few miles from home the Gas flowed much easier into the tank because I bet the Tank was cooler throughout the ride.
I bet winter will get me down to TWO bars or LESS?

AbNormy
07-30-2015, 12:42 PM
I asked my dealer to see what they'd do for me, and I've had to have spyderpops block off plate, pipes wrapped cat eliminated and still the heat kills my one good foot! Dealer said it's $675 so I called BRP and they said I was Simply Out of Luck but I did make a complaint case # 00520327 talked to Jessie. Seems like given I've had to do all i've done and I still have the hot foot, they might inspire some good will and take care of me. Not to mention the close to a grand I've spent trying to remedy their manufacturing defect. BRP are you listening? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: any suggestions to get some action out of either BRP or my dealer? of the 2 dealers in town (both clear on the other side of town I might add) this one has been better than the one on the north end, no names mentioned, i'd have thought they would step up....they have warranted 3 water pumps 1 with ext warranty and rear axle bearings...

bronzeflex42
07-30-2015, 01:07 PM
I will be contacting my ATL dealer, to see if they will install the air scoops on my 2012 LTD. :chat:

NorCalBud
07-31-2015, 12:06 PM
I got my RTL back from the dealer a few days ago. It was in the shop longer due to replacing the compressor (waiting for parts). But it's done and looks GREAT!!! I haven't had much of a chance to ryde in order to check to see how much of a difference it makes, if any. But it was 108 when I picked it up and rode the 10 miles home in stop and go traffic and it never got over 1/2 on the gauge.
I just had to pay for my warranty deductible for both the compressor and the scoops.
I hope the word gets out to the other dealers so that anyone who want them gets them!!!

Oldmanzues
07-31-2015, 09:57 PM
I had serious heat problems with my 2010RT. At dealers now waiting for answers. Case opened
Oldmanzues
Got it back two days ago, ridden it several times with no problems, BRP (or the dealer) covered all of the expensive but it took over three weeks for BRP to approve it and get the parts and the dealer to do it. guess their is hours involved in doing so. But I had the broken arm problem on the windshield with same time problem. almost three weeks to say yes and get parts and fix it. I am a "kind of anybody rides, bob will" I was without a ride for two GWRRA meeting at one chapter, one at another, a couple PGR missions and a annual ride. Lots of very bad publicly by answering honestly, in the the shop. Stuff like this hurts the image of the Spyder a lot.
Oldmanzues
Added 8/4/2015
40 mile PGR escort at 25 to 40 MPH. 80 degrees out. Everything stayed cool to touch.

regor
08-01-2015, 08:36 AM
I had mine changed a couple weeks back. I did notice real difference in the heat, especially on the right side of the engine. I can actually put my foot out on the hwy peg. the dealer did it free of charge, now i'm wondering how they come off, when you need to change you oil?

Bensonoid
08-01-2015, 10:28 AM
I had mine changed a couple weeks back. I did notice real difference in the heat, especially on the right side of the engine. I can actually put my foot out on the hwy peg. the dealer did it free of charge, now i'm wondering how they come off, when you need to change you oil?

The scoops stay on the panel. There is one screw you have to remove where there used to be two that held on the clear wing thingy that was there before. Otherwise it comes off the same. There should be a cover over that screw. It's a bit of a pain getting that cover back in so it will stay, I saw a lot of pictures where the covers were missing. They probably fell out on the way home from the dealer, luckily mine are still there.

jtoro1
08-01-2015, 12:00 PM
My dealer have the scoops kit for. 2012 and earlier $67 got mine,

AbNormy
08-01-2015, 02:18 PM

wonder why the difference in price from yours to mine? did you say $67? which dealer?

mustangbob
08-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Just got mine today, does make a difference, took the long way home and stopped for gas, the cap was actually cool to the touch. All work covered under "good will warranty". Here are the required pictures.

robmorg
08-04-2015, 07:25 PM
For Spyder RT 2010-2012, I check with BRP last week if the scoop will be available. BRP told me they will decide ONLY after the recall of all 2013 RT will be completed.

So, no decision for the moment.What I have experienced, on more than one occasion, is that what the dealer support techs tell the dealers, and what BRP tells the owners can be two very different things. I'd advise anyone who wants to do this with prior-2013 models to have their dealer call and make a case for them.

robmorg
08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Just got mine today, does make a difference, took the long way home and stopped for gas, the cap was actually cool to the touch. All work covered under "good will warranty". Here are the required pictures. Looking at your center picture, it looks like your inside acoustic panels were NOT removed. Is that correct? What have other 2012 owner who have had this done found about the acoustic panels. I would think the scoops would be much more effective if they were removed.

Sarge707
08-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Looking at your center picture, it looks like your inside acoustic panels were NOT removed. Is that correct? What have other 2012 owner who have had this done found about the acoustic panels. I would think the scoops would be much more effective if they were removed.

Yes!! You need to check that the acoustic Panels which Surround the cylinder Head on each side were "Removed?" Or Else the Panels do Little good?

RockyMountainRider50
08-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Here is one post:

Bob

Any documentation on these claims? I ask because I contacted one of my dealers service and parts section and they had very little knowledge on the subject.

finless
08-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Any documentation on these claims? I ask because I contacted one of my dealers service and parts section and they had very little knowledge on the subject.

Did you read thriough all the posts here. Part numbers and bulletin numbers are here. Give them to your dealer and tell them to look it up in BOSSweb.

Bob

mustangbob
08-05-2015, 07:55 PM
Looking at your center picture, it looks like your inside acoustic panels were NOT removed. Is that correct? What have other 2012 owner who have had this done found about the acoustic panels. I would think the scoops would be much more effective if they were removed. Panels are removed, pictures don't show it well but they are gone.

sequimspyder
08-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Panels are removed, pictures don't show it well but they are gone.

Must be missing something, . But can't seem to pull up the tst 112333.
Please post a link.
Would really appreciate it.
My local dealer is really painful to deal with.

jtoro1
08-06-2015, 01:55 PM
wonder why the difference in price from yours to mine? did you say $67? which dealer?

Yes $67 it is on the box by BRP ,route 1 motorsports , they are a sponsor here.I installed them myself, I is not rocket science ,you can do it

mustangbob
08-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Must be missing something, . But can't seem to pull up the tst 112333.
Please post a link.
Would really appreciate it.
My local dealer is really painful to deal with.don't know of a link but see post #55, 74, 75. it should help, print them out and take it to your dealer.

Desert Spyder
08-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Stopped at my nearest dealer re the air scoops today before reading this thread. The service mgr is aware of the recall not the "Good will" recall. He asked if I had anything in writing or was it hearsay. He had no parts in the shop and they won't be ordered UNLESS I leave the bike in the shop, THEN they will be ordered. Basically the bike is a hostage. He said it would cost $300. Not sure if this was parts and labor or what. I mentioned BRP said $75 for parts and $150 or so for labor. Again, nothing on paper. I asked how long it would take to get parts? He said sometimes they are on backorder and may take 3 weeks plus customs. Three weeks hostage for parts? Bull****!

LoveMyRyde
08-10-2015, 08:43 AM

Thank you you for this info. I took my new (to me) 2011 RT out for our first real ride yesterday and had an uncomfortable amount of heat on my right leg. I also noticed a strong gas smell while stopped in traffic. I have sent this information to my dealer and I'm waiting for a reply.

Is this dangerous or just uncomfortable? I don't want to stop ryding.

LoveMyRyde
08-12-2015, 11:55 AM
My dealer talked to BRP and they are going to order the kit and install it at NO COST TO ME! This is way more than I expected :yes:. They have ordered the parts and said it should take about a week to receive them. Meanwhile I'm enjoying my bike and waiting for the call :ohyea:.

finless
08-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Stopped at my nearest dealer re the air scoops today before reading this thread. The service mgr is aware of the recall not the "Good will" recall. He asked if I had anything in writing or was it hearsay. He had no parts in the shop and they won't be ordered UNLESS I leave the bike in the shop, THEN they will be ordered. Basically the bike is a hostage. He said it would cost $300. Not sure if this was parts and labor or what. I mentioned BRP said $75 for parts and $150 or so for labor. Again, nothing on paper. I asked how long it would take to get parts? He said sometimes they are on backorder and may take 3 weeks plus customs. Three weeks hostage for parts? Bull****!

Take it to another dealer!
Mike from SRA-LA just had his 2011 done at Whittier Fun Center for free.

Bob

Highwayman2013
08-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Just got my kit ordered today for the "good will recall". When the parts come in they will be installed by the dealer.

RockyMountainRider50
08-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Has anyone heard of dealers doing any heat recall work on 2012 RT's like they are doing on the 2013's?
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=113540&stc=1
I contacted one of our dealers here in the Mile High who got authorization from BRP to install the Air scoop intake on my 2012 RT LTD at no cost to me. Will be dropping it off on next Wednesday and pick-up on Thursday. Will see if any changes after the install is complete.

Mickay
08-14-2015, 03:34 AM
113545 113546113547113548113549

Mickay
08-14-2015, 03:41 AM
I pay and install myself. Was 73$cnd 85$cnd. Ask you parts service for the scoop only.

finless
08-14-2015, 10:09 AM
Interesting thing I notice in your pictures and it makes sense!
The kit provides a tie bar (bracket) on each side for when the Acoustic panels are removed.
Having removed the acoustic panels before on my 2011 I did notice the bottom part was loose e.g. can move up and down.
So that tie bar is important!

You should not remove your acoustic panels without having that!

Bob

Highwayman2013
08-14-2015, 10:21 AM
I did remove them Monday for our Tuesday morning ride. No change in the heat at the front of the seat for my wife. Still need those scoops.

LoveMyRyde
08-25-2015, 08:44 AM
My dealer talked to BRP and they are going to order the kit and install it at NO COST TO ME! This is way more than I expected :yes:. They have ordered the parts and said it should take about a week to receive them. Meanwhile I'm enjoying my bike and waiting for the call :ohyea:.

Had the scoops installed this past weekend. We immediately went for an 80 mile ride. The temperature was in the mid nineties. What a difference :yes:. The heat level went from uncomfortably high to barely noticeable! I think they even look cool. Very happy with the fix.

pslawing
08-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Just went to dealer with all my notes from this thread. She said of course!!! We don't even have to open a ticket with BRP we will just order the parts and install them since you are still under warranty! Will call when they are in!

Bensonoid
08-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Did you use the chainsaw to cut the hole for the scoops? If so nice job.:bowdown:

pslawing
09-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Lake Norman Powersports in NC did mine at no Cost! What a difference! Side panels cool to touch! Loving my machine!!
Thanks guys for all your input! Your the best!

Mickay
11-15-2015, 01:42 AM
Did you use the chainsaw to cut the hole for the scoops? If so nice job.:bowdown:

I cut nothing. I leave the original hole vent. The scoop run the wind through oem hole.

ravseren
11-15-2015, 07:47 AM
YES, and under some circumstances, BRP might cover the cost.
Seth

Bob Denman
11-15-2015, 09:20 AM
YES, and under some circumstances, BRP might cover the cost.
Seth
Technically; no... :shocked:
I'm pretty sure that what is being done for the 2010 to 2012 RTs, is being handled as an "accommodation" only... :thumbup:

finless
11-15-2015, 01:36 PM
I cut nothing. I leave the original hole vent. The scoop run the wind through oem hole.

If you did not cut the panel how did you get the "lip" of the scoops in the hole so the scopes did not have a gap from the panel?

Bob

Wazoo
11-29-2015, 05:30 PM
I read the whole thread and saw reference to two TSTs (apart from the 2013 bulletin):

TST61Y010S09

TST#112333

Are they both correct? I've seen the 2nd one multiple times but the first one referenced just a single time?

Wazoo
11-29-2015, 06:53 PM
For those who have installed the block off plate and knocked out the floor panel beneath it, how does this fix affect and/or interface with those mods/fixes?

Wazoo
12-05-2015, 08:45 AM
bump

ThreeWheels
12-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Technically; no... :shocked:
I'm pretty sure that what is being done for the 2010 to 2012 RTs, is being handled as an "accommodation" only... :thumbup:

Yes, my understanding is that BRP will cover the cost of installing the vents on the 2010 to 2012 RT's as a "courtesy" warranty.
This may require a little pull from your dealer, but the RTs with the 998 engine seem to have some sort of heat issue, though not as severe as the 2013 MY.
I've read of someone installing the vents on a 1330 ACE RT, but this would be at the owners cost should they prefer the vents.

Yol Bolsun
05-25-2016, 09:18 AM
My thanks to y'all and specially Doc-Riverside! BRP will be Good-Will comping me the air vents on my 2011 RT.:yes::thumbup:

BTW: that will be at East Tennessee ATV in Elizabethton, TN.

Bob Denman
05-25-2016, 05:29 PM
:congrats: Thanks for letting us know about a successful outcome! :thumbup:

WilderThomas
06-24-2017, 10:10 AM

Do you have a picture of the Spyder with the air scoops installed? I have the 2012 Spyder RT-SE5. Are these best left for the dealer to install, or can the owner easily install them?

UtahPete
06-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Just got mine today, does make a difference, took the long way home and stopped for gas, the cap was actually cool to the touch. All work covered under "good will warranty". Here are the required pictures.

Thanks. That is a big help in understanding what these look like and how they function.

Danz28
06-25-2017, 09:47 PM
My dealer said he could put in request and they would do it for them if there was a customer complaint but they are not volunteering the recall for the 2012. I will be doing it this winter most likely... In fall and early spring the heat is kinda nice in New England

kilcranp
08-09-2017, 09:35 PM
I just went to my dealer her in Tucson, As. They are going to work to get the vents for my 2012 RT-S approved. One of the service writers thinks theyshould have just wfitten the TST for all the 2010 to 2013 models.

We'll see how it goes.

scarletspyder
02-17-2018, 04:17 PM
just got a 2011. seen this thread. Are these vent kits still available?

Thanks

jcthorne
02-17-2018, 06:50 PM
Yes

scarletspyder
02-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Yes

where might I get one? I assume dealers aren't installing them anymore and I purchased my 2011 used without warranty. Or do they still perform this as a recall?

Thanks

Larry rt
02-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Recall was for only 2013. But dealer can order and install for other years $$$

Highwayman2013
02-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Look under the 2013 RT. http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjLtJ2esK7ZAhWUiH4KHW-cAEsYABAAGgJwYw&ei=dt-IWpD5HsHTjAORqI6gCg&sig=AOD64_0e7RMgd_TgaJLKY2iTfoY5KtiZrw&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiQjJiesK7ZAhXBKWMKHRGUA6QQ0QwICA&adurl=

slfriend
02-18-2018, 08:49 PM
I just purchased a 2011 RT as well. Read this thread and found this: http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/can-am-rt-vent-kit-219800388-part.html
Is this the kit that I would be looking for? Don't see pictures but it does say for RT Vent kit?

Thanks for all the info!

jcthorne
02-19-2018, 09:59 AM
219800388 is the correct part number for the vents kit. You can purchase from your dealer or any BRP parts supplier. Several are sponsors on this forum.

Mickay
03-14-2018, 08:08 AM
You mean the inner acoustic panels? Yes pretty sure they would or the scoops wont do much.

Bob

Yes you need to remove the inner acoustics panels... I buy the air scoop
when the fix for the 2013
come out for around 60$ service manager said it price cost. And install it on my 2010. And i have install the block plate on the right side... 90% less hot.

Tatonka
03-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Re: heat....putting on the lamonster pegs...how to video recommends taking off a bottom splash guard....necessary??
ds