PDA

View Full Version : GPS harness self install!

RealTater
06-27-2015, 01:23 PM
So I called up the local spyder place and was told they didn't sell the Garmin 660 harness anymore... So I bit the bullet and ordered the kit from the BRP parts website ($30 worth of parts for the low low price of $230).

Was going to ride today but it's raining so I decided to install this beast. The lack of helpfulness from the local dealer over the phone made up my mind about this being my first DIY spyder mod...

I've got the GPS mounted now and everything works! Now to put the Tupperware back on!

Things I learned:

If the instructions say RH side but the picture is of the LH side - follow the words, not the pictures.

There's a lot of plastic on this thing.

It's not as scary as it may first appear.110414110415110416110417

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RealTater
06-27-2015, 08:29 PM
And I ended up with one extra screw... No idea where it belongs...

Ben Burped
06-27-2015, 09:27 PM
That is one of the bigger PIA mods. To take off all the plastic and then have to work all the cable through that small hole is a big deal for your first time. Glad it worked out for you. If you decide to add the cell phone interface, follow the illustrations, not the instructions. Two thumbs up.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-28-2015, 12:19 AM

Easy one to miss putting back in are the ones under the mirrors or the ones under the pointed end of the frunk lid.

Ben Burped
06-30-2015, 11:22 PM

I would like to make a simple suggestion. As you disassemble your Can-Am , write down on a yellow pad the steps that you make. To go along with that, take small Ziploc baggies and use a sharpie to write the step number on it and information such as two front bolts at windshield. I sometimes take on extensive projects over months and this helps me remember the correct order to reassemble things. When I was younger, I could take an engine apart, throw all the bolts in a box, and still put it all back together without any extra bolts or parts. Now the yellow pad and Ziploc bag method seems to supplement my memory.